The Greater Houses

Loras

I don't know how good an idea this would be, but I would be greatly interested.

Could there be a double spread donated to each of the appendix'd houses (The Starks, The Martells etc) with a family portrait (of the important family members and their significant others). A little bit of in-depth family history. Maybe a small map of their town/city/castle and a piece of artwork of their castle.

I know this is a lot to ask for, but I would find it very interesting.

You know, Linda and I suggested that presenting the families together in groups would be excellent. ;) Whether we'll get that, we do not know.

There will be stuff on the various Great Houses, probably connected to whatever region it is they rule.

I would love to get more info on the great houses, esp. their history (ex: What was House Martell like before Nymeria?) and famous/heroic figures.

The family portrait thing sounds like an excellent idea.

It would also be cool to learn of why/how the Manderlys fell from grace and had to relocate from the region of the River Mander to the North.

And, within a framework of more historical background, details of any other major houses that have suffered similar fates - we know of the Raynes, the Hollards and the Manderlys, but were some of the other minor houses once more significant and, if so, what were the circumstances of their falls?

Aratan

You know, Linda and I suggested that presenting the families together in groups would be excellent. ;) Whether we'll get that, we do not know.

There will be stuff on the various Great Houses, probably connected to whatever region it is they rule.

We've done someting like that on wikipedia with the great houses and their members.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Song_of_Ice_and_Fire

(look for the navigation template at the bottom of the page)

Is that the kind of organization of info you're talking about?

Ah, we meant the idea of having an artist do family portraits. The canonical one (i.e., the one that came to mind first), was a portrait of the Lannisters. An unsmiling Tywin standing above Cersei and Jaime as they smile arrogantly, her children off to one side .... and Tyrion off in some corner (probably on Jaime's side), ostracized and ignored, trying to grin his way through it.

Portraits are a great way to show all the characters in a family, not least because how you depict them in relationship to one another could be used to say a lot about how they are as a family. :)

I'm not sure we're actually going to do this, though. It may be quite a few months before we sort out the details concerning art.

Ah, we meant the idea of having an artist do family portraits. The canonical one (i.e., the one that came to mind first), was a portrait of the Lannisters. An unsmiling Tywin standing above Cersei and Jaime as they smile arrogantly, her children off to one side .... and Tyrion off in some corner (probably on Jaime's side), ostracized and ignored, trying to grin his way through it.

Portraits are a great way to show all the characters in a family, not least because how you depict them in relationship to one another could be used to say a lot about how they are as a family. :)

I'm not sure we're actually going to do this, though. It may be quite a few months before we sort out the details concerning art.

That's what I get for skimming. How is the outlook for having Amok do the portraits or commissioning the ones he has already done? His work is just amazing. We had some of his uncommissioned stuff up on the wikipedia for awhile but pulled them due to licensing concers (we wanted to make sure his stuff didn't get used for commerical purposes and not have him get paid under the GFDL license we were using at his permission).

Please tell me he is signed on!

I'd say Amok is extremely likely to have his art in the book. ;)

I need to emphasize that a lot remains to be done, art-wise. I can say, I think, that Bantam was going to have a big meeting with people from some of its departments (licensing and art would, I guess, be among them) about the book and following that there would be movement towards contacting some specific artists.

Does that mean Kevan, Genna and their broods would be left out?

Don't know if this is the right thread, but I'd really like to read more about Tywin's dealings with the Reynes and Tarbecks. Maybe GRRM intends to show this in upcoming novels though, so I don't know. Just that I'd really like to read more about it.

Oh, and also maybe some more background to the Stark's rule in the North for so many years.

• 4 weeks later...
It would probably take up a lot of room, but if it was possible, I'd love to see it. I love reading about family trees and that sort of thing. :)

Sorry to bump this a month later, but I wanted to ditto the idea of portraits. I LOVE that kind of thing, and I really liked the idea of family chapters with portraits, town or keep maps, and histories.

How about family trees? Would something like that be workable?

However, I think this book just got to be about 1000 pages long!

Well, the Targaryen family tree is certain. Any others are in the air, and if we pursue those, how extensive they'll be will be rather up to George.

In the months to come we'll probably start to be provide some hints as to the material that's making it into the book. :)

• 1 year later...

There are no current plans for Komarck to contribute any new artwork for the world book, but such things haven't been finalized. Do order the 2009 calendar that the Dabel Brothers are producing, though -- twelve new pieces of Michael Komarck Ice and Fire art.

George is a fan of Amok's, and as he's revealed on his forum, he's tackling a number of portraits for the book. :)

Archived