What was Ilyn Payne like?

Sir Bronn

I dont remember Tyrion ever mentioning Ilyn at all. He does mention though that all of his father's guards were participants and Ilyn was captain of the guards.

Good point on Addam but overwhelmingly the majority of Tywins men are bad people.

I imagine he lost the job as captain after having his tongue ripped out, hard to be a captain and not give orders. Tysha's gang rape happened long after his tongue was ripped out so odds of him taking part are slim to none.

I imagine he lost the job as captain after having his tongue ripped out, hard to be a captain and not give orders. Tysha's gang rape happened long after his tongue was ripped out so odds of him taking part are slim to none.

Fair point. Even if he did not participate in the gangrape that doesnt make him a saint.

While Jamie enjoys his company he does not feel he is a good person

Fair point. Even if he did not participate in the gangrape that doesnt make him a saint.

While Jamie enjoys his company he does not feel he is a good person

I'd say if you're trying to paint Ilyn Payne as a villain, the burden of proof is there, not on establishing his sainthood. The only thing we know is he ran his mouth a bit much about Tywin being in charge and not Aerys. I can't even fault that logic too much, given what we know about both Tywin and Aerys. Beyond that, the worst thing he did was behead Ned Stark at Joffrey's order. Which is his job. Beyond that the creepy vibes everyone gets from him is just speculation.

A Lannister lickspittle, I guess.

Why is it that someone who shows true loyalty to the Lannisters is always a "lickspittle," but the same is never said of loyal vassals of the Starks, Martells, Tullys, etc.

The Lannisters had many lickspittles. They also had a fair number of genuinely loyal retainers

Stark vassals are expected to be loyal to Starks. King's Justice and Grandmaester should be loyal to the king, not Lannisters.

ETA: I had assumed Payne was Kings Justice during Aerys's reign but I was wrong. He was head of Tywins personal guard, so to call him lickspittle was bad. (Although it goes so well with Lannister.)

Archived