GRRM on the Wolf Pack

Northernmonkey

He's getting high born treatment which means he gets treatment according to his station. He's the former lord of Riverrun that precludes him from being chained up or caged or any other sort of physical restraint and marched through his own land. He will probably just be sitting on a wagon.

Jaime order a group of archers to have arrows on him the whole time under orders to kill him if anyone tries to break him out. Any attempted escape leads to his death first that is all the the restraint needed.

Edmure can escape if the wolves overwhelm the soldiers. He could join the BWB, but then what?

We do.

The dog with Marillion for example.

This would be very cool, but I'm not sure about it. Sansa is the only Stark child who is getting educated in playing the game, and the Starks need someone like that. Without that knowledge, they'd turn into Dany, unable to function beyond blood and fire.

Arya will die and go into big Nyms. Big Nyms will join Summer, Shaggydog, Jon and the Others in reclaiming the North from the remnants of the Frey's/Boltons and any other people hanging around. Big Nyms might settle more of Arya's hit list than Arya ever did in life.

A Dream of Spring was originally titled A Time for Wolves. Seems to suggest that the final act, before the light of spring shines, will involve the Stark children and their wolves reclaiming the North.

Wow, I didn't know ADoS was supposed to be called Time for Wolves. Wish he had kept the title.

Thinking on it I wonder if he was inspired by Native Americans. For many wolves were sacred so they weren't hunted then. They lived peaceably then. The wolves learned to fear humans after foreigners came and took over. Now the wolves are endangered.

This would be very cool, but I'm not sure about it. Sansa is the only Stark child who is getting educated in playing the game, and the Starks need someone like that. Without that knowledge, they'd turn into Dany, unable to function beyond blood and fire.

Sorry but which dog are you talking about?

There's something that people seems to have been overlooked (understandably so) from GRRM's recent charity event.

"You know, I don't like to give things away." says Martin, a grin spreading across his face. "But you don't hang a giant wolf pack on the wall unless you intend to use it."

So what are they going to do? I see Ramsay somehow surviving the battle of Winterfell, only to stumble in to the woods and get torn in to pieces by Nymeria's pack.

It's going to be much, much, much bigger than than. This isnt a pack of wolves. This is an army of wolves. And have thought all along that they are going to have a big part to play before the end of the story. They could be GRRM's ents ....

I believe the poster I was responding to was referring to the old blind dog Sansa befriends at the Baelish place. Sansa could have some warging abilities, and her friendship with that dog could be based on that, but I think her education will remain worldly. She's learning to play the game, not learning about magic. I think.

Yes.

Anyways, I think whether or not Nymeria may have left for the North already she is destined to leave. Queen Nymeria's story-she's fleeing from Valyrians, gathers her people along the Rhoyne and leaves it to never return.

Nymeria queen of her pack fled the Lannisters gathered her pack along the Trident. All she has to do is leave if she hasn't already.

ETA: Even if some are hellbent on her killing Freys there are Freys in the North now so she could still kill some up there. But killing Ramsay makes for a much better story imo. He already did that Actaeon thing where Weese got killed by his own dog that he used to attack people. The hunter became the hunted.

Ramsay and Arya would also be the only two who use packs of animals like that to murder.

Ramsay should matter more to her than the Freys do. He is messing with her reputation and is using her claim.

How come you put Arya in the same category as Ramsay?

How come you put Arya in the same category as Ramsay?

They have similarities. That doesn't mean they are in the same category. It would be far more poetic for her to attack her "husband" who she has some similarities to than some random Freys.

Well, one way to defeat an army of wights, is to attack it with a few thousand wolves. Apart from fire, it seems devouring them is the only way to kill them properly.

So if you see an army of 1000 wights, just send 5000 wolves to gobble them up, like Summer did to some of the moving wight bodyparts up in the Haunted Forest.

Looks like Arya and her pack are going to the Wall. She and Jon Snow are definitely going to be reunited and stir up real sh*t at the wall and Arya's going to get her revenge, perhaps on Roose and Ramsay as well as the Freys. The North Remembers...and their direwolf familiars do too. :commie:

Nymeria's Wolfpack let into the Twins by Arya while the castle sleeps. Then the Howling starts as the Freys, the whole lot of them get ripped apart.

That's what I hope happens.

I can see that. Arya infiltrates the castle as a serving girl, puts sweetsleep into the food served to Lord Walder and his cronies and then frees the Northmen in the cells and lets her wolf pack in, a far, far better version of the Weasel soup. :devil:

If Nymeria can lead a hundred wolves, I have high hopes for Arya's future as a leader of people.

Me too. I've always seen Nymeria's ability to make the wolves follow her as foreshadowing of Arya's own ability as a leader. She's probably the most charismatic of her siblings after Robb and she was able to lead a bunch of boys as a little ten year old. She's going to be far more formidable now.

It was theorized that by the Mercy chapter Nymeria is in the North now. I wonder if the wall part is a clue. If she is Arya could do it in her dreams if Nymeria and the pack have something to do with the problems in the North.

I don't think storming the Twins/a castle is a good idea. I noticed that repeatedly when the CoTF used hundreds of wolves against armored knights they got slaughtered. Nymeria wiping out the Freys isn't realistic. That's something an army must do and even then it might not be achieved. It would have to be like how Tywin enclosed everyone in the same spot so they all could die.

ETA: The other option is the Others and wights passing the Twins to get to the Trident. Of course that also means they swept through the North before they got to the Freys.

And yeah IA. She and the pack definitely would kill Edmure if she came across him. She's been killing the Tully's people so Edmure would not make a difference.

Oh, and I doubt the pack's purpose is to meet other characters. Using the pack is so they can kill tons of people.

Maybe when Jon tells Arya that her Sigil should be a wolf with a fish in its mouth was foreshadowing Nymeria killing Edmure.

The wights is a good idea. They should be less of a problem than armored knights.

What similarities?

Murders are not orders but something they chose to do. ETA: Because it was said she's like the Hound because they both kill on orders. But the majority of her kills are not and the majority won't be.

They also both think of killing in terms of hunting.

“Her dreams were red and savage…They thought they were hunting her, she knew with all the strange sharp certainty of dreams, but they were wrong. She was hunting them. She was no little girl in the dream; she was a wolf, huge and powerful, and when she emerged from beneath the trees in front of them and barred her teeth in a low rumbling growl, she could smell the rank stench of fear…the other wolves came hurtling from the darkness and the rain, a great pack of them, gaunt and wet and silent. “

“Ser Gregor, she thought. Dunsen, Raff the Sweetling. Ser Illyn, Ser Meryn, Queen Cersei. Her morning prayer. Or was it? No, she thought, not mine. I am no one. That is the night wolf’s prayer. Someday she will find them, hunt them, smell their fear, taste their blood. Someday. “

I mentioned that a specific similarity doesn't apply yet but it will when she uses a pack to help her kill. He also uses a pack to help him kill. A pack he also trained to kill direwolves. Nymeria has already killed wolfhounds sent after her by a Riverland lord. So it would be more fitting to me for her to go after someone who has trained his dogs.

SPOILER: But having similarities doesn't mean she's on his level. She's not. He's terrible. Like their kills now both have sexual elements but while hers was disturbing it wasn't sick stuff like rape and necrophilia. Maybe pedophilia but that's it.

I agree. I think that Sansa has the ability to warg like the rest, the only reason we don't see her doing it is because her wolf is dead.

I think we may also see it in her interactions with Sandor and Baleish, not all out warging of a person more like sensory perception she seems to be an empath and when she gets a physical contact she seemed to sense Sandors thoughts hence her thinking he kissed her on the night of BBW and her reaction to Baleish when he kissed her to me, was stronger than a you shouldn't do that reaction, I think she may have sensed his plans or evilness.

I have no real proof of this just my thoughts.

The wolf pack is just another army waiting to be used. I think they will help clean up the Riverlands. Didn't Rhaegar Frey say Robb and his men turned into wolves? How perfect would it be if Nymeria's pack eliminated House Frey.

The hard part of besieging the Twins is dealing with the bridge. An army can march down the Kingsroad or the High Road and build siege engines on the east bank of the Green Fork. But until you take the East Castle, it's hard to cross the river. But it's easy for them. As soon as Walder realizes he's fucked he can Slip out the West Castle and make for Riverrun. But wolves are strong swimmers. They could wait in ambush in the country between The Twins and Riverrun.

Archived