Sherlock

Jaxom 1974

Just watched this (left the country New Year's Eve).

It violated the most basic rule of good writing, which is that it cannot be a dream.

Therefore it is a mess, an even bigger mess than the previous mess the series had become. Thus it bodes no better for the rest of the series if there is ever any more rest of the series. 

Shame.

Yeah, Neil Gaimen, Lewis Carroll, Frank Baum, and HP Lovecraft were all cheap hacks. How terrible is it to use dream sequences in writing huh?

It violated the most basic rule of good writing, which is that it cannot be a dream.

It was always obvious that it was a dream, in the sense that the characters in question weren't born yet in the 19th century. That it turned out to literally be taking place in the head of the "real" Sherlock rather than just a what-if story made it less of a dream. And the central mystery within the dream got solved legitimately; waking up wasn't used to fix anything like eg Bobby's death being written off as a season-long dream in Dallas. It wasn't a perfect episode, but it being a dream wasn't a problem for me.

There are a lot of rules that have been broken in some of the best works of entertainment. They are meant as guides and when you break them you usually need to try harder to make it work but to disregard something for breaking them is an over-reaction.

Using a dream to retcon a previous event is sloppy but that wasn't the case in this show. I actually liked how it fed into the main show as my complaint going into the show is that we usually get 3 episodes every other year and it seems a bit rude to indulge in a "classic" sherlock when the last episode was a cliffhanger. I thought it was good fun and while I'd still say it was little more than an excuse to play around in the classic setting it at least moved the story along.

Was there a deeper meaning to Sherlock's brother eating himself to death? It felt like a lot of things were meant to be relevant to the "real" world of sherlock. I guess it could have been a metaphor about their relationship but it struck me as strange as we often see his brother exercising/training in a lot of his scenes

I enjoyed it

After watching this my fiance told me she hadn't seen season 1 so we watched that afterwards.

I didn't realise while watching the Victorian episode - but a lot of the scenes and dialog are copied from the pilot. There was even a jibe from Sherlock about Mycroft's weight.

The lengths people will go to keep the faith!  :)

Nevertheless, humbuggery is humbuggery.

I respect the fact that you dislike something. I quite often have a contrary opinion than others around here on a lot of subject. 

What I was challenging is the reasons you stated for your dislike. You said there was a "rule" about writing not being a dream. This is nonsense, I named four authors with celebrated works who used dream sequences, and there are many, many more. 

You might find this of interest, at least in terms of how it describes in detail why many of us thought Abominable Bride to be a very bad piece of television. The critique of this is about middle of the post.  You may not agree, of course.  :)

P.S. It's taken this long to reply because for some reason this site isn't accepting replies in Google Chrome.  it took me this long to figure out that was the problem, and that there's no problem with Firefox, however.

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

You might find this of interest, at least in terms of how it describes in detail why many of us thought Abominable Bride to be a very bad piece of television. The critique of this is about middle of the post.  You may not agree, of course.  :)

P.S. It's taken this long to reply because for some reason this site isn't accepting replies in Google Chrome.  it took me this long to figure out that was the problem, and that there's no problem with Firefox, however.

It's the opposite way around for me. I think you have to rest browser history or something?

The reviewer seems to find offense in everything about that episode of Sherlock. It's like they take the episode as a personal insult. I've felt the same about some shows I've watched too.

3 hours ago, Zorral said:

Ha. I have the exact opposite problem: I can't post in Firefox, have to switch to Chrome.

These updated forums are fucking weird

19 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

It keeps happening to me as well, that I can't post a reply!

Also aahhhhh I still haven't seen the special yet, damnit. Really need to. Was it good? I don't want to read through in case of spoilers but is it worth watching ??

Nope.  :)

I thought it wasn't terrible and I don't feel like I've suffered a huge loss by spending 90 minutes watching it.  However, it wasn't great and I'd probably tell friends to either skip it or wait until the next season is out before watching.  I think one of the most annoying things about it is that it's sort of just a place holder, like something they needed to do to keep contracts and such active since they have so many years between seasons.  

So yeah, Theda, you really haven't missed anything and I'd say there is so much tv to watch that I'd just recommend waiting for season 4 to release in like 2017/8 or whenever.  

It was great...not so much as a mystery, but rather for scratching several itches they must have built up as writers/fans themselves all these years. I really enjoyed it, more than any episode from last season, though Mary is stil imo a bit too omnipresent. 

• 2 months later...

‘Sherlock’ Season 4 Starts Shooting

Filming has begun in the UK on the much anticipated Season 4 of the BBC One/Masterpiece drama Sherlock. Three new episodes are afoot promising “laughter, tears, shocks, surprises and extraordinary cases,” the networks said today. Benedict Cumberbatch returns as the high-functioning sociopath alongside Martin Freeman as Dr. John Watson and Amanda Abbington as his wife Mary. The latter two will be preparing for the arrival of their first child.

Ghosts are also said to figure heavily in the new season (Moriarty?) while co-creators Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss appeared to have teased this could be the final go-round for the group, saying, “This is the story we’ve been telling from the beginning. A story about to reach its climax.” However, the typically cryptic duo has also previously said they see the series continuing for a long while and I’m told the word “climax” could mean anything, but not the end. There’s currently no airdate, but speculation is that a January 1, 2017 return may be in the offing.

The three-part Season 4 will begin with an episode helmed by Rachel Talalay (Doctor Who, The Flash).

• 2 months later...
6 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

For one brief, glorious moment I thought I read Toby Stephens instead of Toby Jones. Now that would have been a sight to see, although Toby Jones is a great actor in his own right :) 

Toby Jones in the new series ?

Ow yeah, that can be only amazing ! 

Yeah, "Stephens" would have rocked as well but I imagine he's quite busy at the moment ! 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived