Sherlock

Jaxom 1974

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It just finished.

It's not bad, but...

...good grief it's contrived, and for no good purpose except to leave us exactly where we started in terms of the modern plot. The Victorian stuff all held together well enough, but I'm really not sure where it was going with the women's rights angle - it was so ludicrously overdone as to be useless as a moral message which it seemed was what it was trying for.

I liked it as well, much better than the entirety of season three me thinks. Still not a fan of Mary Watson, I just think the actress isn't very good. Her part wasn't very big, thank god.

One thing that did confuse me

What was the thing with the corpse of Mrs. Ricoletti, did I miss something? Sherlock dug her up and then went on digging and then all of a sudden her skeleton is ready to pop out of her coffin and then it all sort of stops. I couldn't follow that

It just finished.

It's not bad, but...

Hidden Content

It was mainly the writers being inspired by the difficulties inherent to their setting 

I read an interview with the two of them and they talked about the challenges going back in time would bring, mainly in regards to the female characters who are completely different (more Victorian and thus sidelined) in Conan Doyle's stories.

So I guess they looked for a way to emphasize the agency of the  female characters and how they might be in the background, but are still relevant to the story, even in a tale set in Victorian England. That's why we saw so many ways of women exercicising power in an utterly patriarchal society. You had Molly Hooper in drag (misleading Sherlock and having a position of power over others), you had Mrs. Hudson clammoring to get a voice in the stories, you had Mary doing a better job as investigator than Sherlock (and also deceiving him) and you had the secret society (with of course Mrs. Ricoletti at the heart of it, who took control of her own life and death to avenge herself).  

I thought it was later in the month...?

The Abominable Bride airs today in the UK/US. Season 4 airs who knows.

From PBS.com

MASTERPIECE and PBS today announced that Sherlock: The Abominable Bride, a 90-minute special, will premiere Friday, January 1, 2016, on MASTERPIECE Mystery! on PBS at 9:00pm ET, and simultaneously online at pbs.org/masterpiece. The special will have an encore broadcast on Sunday, January 10, at 10:00pm ET. This is the first time that Sherlock has premiered in the US and the UK on the same day.

The Victorian setting was fun and there were plenty of scenes and lines of dialogue I liked in it but I I wasn't too keen on the way the episode evolved...

For a while it looked as if we might get an episode where an actual mystery being solved was the focus, but then it ended up being all a dream, and an increasingly silly one at that. When there's so few episodes of Sherlock being made it seems a bit of a shame to waste one on something that is ultimately inconsequential, it barely even moves the modern-day Moriarty plot forward.

That....was  strange (see what I did there ? Take that Moffat ! )

Ok it seemed clear something strange was going on, but I did not expect

Mindpalace !

shenanigans.

Overall, it was ok I guess. Also in terms of the present, it really didn't tell us something we did not expect

Loved it. And while Moffat's past choices are galling, I think this somewhat recompenses for what has happened with women on this series. 

As I watched it, I thought how very bizarre.  But by the end I really appreciated it.

Hm.

Hidden Content

Oh, I disagree!

They solved the Ricoletti murder in the past and used it as a vehicle to confirm Moriarty is dead. (The modern story Mary looks up says it was unsolved, but that's because Watson and Holmes decide to keep this women's conspiracy a secret, I think)  Whether or not we can trust that announcement of Sherlock's in the modern version is a question, of course, since Moriarty's role has been hugely expanded in this series.  But since the original stories are supposed to be the inspiration, and Doyle introduced him for the sole purpose of killing off Holmes at Reichenbach Falls and we have done the modern version of that story, we may be able to assume we will only see references to Moriarty in the future.

I enjoyed the way we saw time change, in the bizarre way dreams work.

The story does bring up a salient point for me, though.  Mycroft does die in the stories, in his rooms, grossly overweight, and I wonder if we will eventually see the death of this Mycroft.  He's slim, of course, so presumably of an exotic disease or a heart attack?

And that reminds me, Neil Gaiman has written a very good Sherlock Holmes story for his most recent collection of short stories, Trigger Warning, that ties in very very nicely with the modern Sherlock, in the end.  :)

ETA:  About Moriarty.

At the Falls, Sherlock clearly says to Moriarty "you're dead" and Moriarty says "not in your mind, Sherlock", so I think we can take that at face value as a confirmation Moriarty is in fact dead.

Far more style than substance and only half of the cutesy banter really landed, but it's good to see them back on deck and trying something a little new (aka old) at least.

And while I like Benny C he's still not a patch on the magnificence of Jeremy Brett.

The story does bring up a salient point for me, though.  Mycroft does die in the stories, in his rooms, grossly overweight, and I wonder if we will eventually see the death of this Mycroft.

I wouldn't be at all surprised. His line at the end asking John to take care of Sherlock felt to me like it was implying he wouldn't be around to do it himself for much longer. The dream palace version would suggest Sherlock is subconciously aware of it.

Brilliant... Just absolutely brilliant. This story was just so well put together. 

The end scene did confirm that Holmes and Watson colluded to cover up the crime, therefore, modern Holmes and Watson would find the case unsolved. I also really do not understand how people are saying that this didn't advance the plot. Of course it did. We now know that there is a society working under Moriarity's name. [/spolier]

The Victorian era really worked. My absolute favorite part was when...

Watson demanded that he get the right hat because he was Sherlock Holmes. I have always wanted to see Cumberbatch in that hat.

Archived