Goodkind 54: How to Revive a Dead Dick

Myshkin

4 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Does he know they're not comedies? I thought those books were the most brilliantly funny shit til I found out they were supppsed to be serious.

You're just jealous of a literary genius.

On 1/6/2018 at 2:29 PM, Rhom said:

Once had a patient who named their kid Kimahri after the big blue guy in Final Fantasy X.

That's actually kinda cool. I named my daughter Yuna, but more because she's half-Korean & Yuna Kim is a great role model (I also really like the name).

Back on topic, I don't think the Yeard is anywhere the seller that he used to be in the 90's -- there's just way too much great fantasy out now, and it's a serious commitment to read 18 or 20 shit novels to catch up -- but he does have enough of a lingering fanbase to stay published.

• 1 month later...

So Terry Goodkind decided the cover to his latest book was garbage and set up a competition on Facebook to attack the artwork and the artist. The artist got wind of it and posted a public response. He's also made it clear that he's made a formal complaint to Tor.

The composition isn't great but the artwork itself is perfectly fine and better than a lot of that on his books. Not sure why Goodkind decided this was the hill to die on, but this is unprofessional and crass behaviour.

Goodkind has been on thin ice with Tor for a while (especially now his sales have dropped off so massively). Interesting to see how they handle this.

4 hours ago, Werthead said:

So Terry Goodkind decided the cover to his latest book was garbage and set up a competition on Facebook to attack the artwork and the artist. The artist got wind of it and posted a public response. He's also made it clear that he's made a formal complaint to Tor.

The composition isn't great but the artwork itself is perfectly fine and better than a lot of that on his books. Not sure why Goodkind decided this was the hill to die on, but this is unprofessional and crass behaviour.

Goodkind has been on thin ice with Tor for a while (especially now his sales have dropped off so massively). Interesting to see how they handle this.

How badly have the sales dipped? Curious, as Goodkind's mix of terrible writing and arrogance makes his downhill slide (in sales; he was never even competent writing-wise) all the more delicious.

8 hours ago, kuenjato said:

How badly have the sales dipped? Curious, as Goodkind's mix of terrible writing and arrogance makes his downhill slide (in sales; he was never even competent writing-wise) all the more delicious.

He went from getting #1 NYT bestsellers - when that was still vaguely difficult - to the last one scraping on around #20 (several of the ones inbetween didn't get on the list, and one had to be self-published). He still sells enough to justify being published, but it's a mere fraction of what he did before.

Came here hoping that this cover fiasco was being discussed. You folks do not disappoint. 

This is ridiculously unprofessional and downright rude. The artist is just following the guidelines given by the art director and authors just shouldn't die on this hill. And it Tairy dies on a hill I hope it is because someone punched through his body and ripped out his spine, followed by a little girl kicking him in the face, and then being buggered by an evil rooster. It's only fair. 

23 hours ago, Werthead said:

He went from getting #1 NYT bestsellers - when that was still vaguely difficult - to the last one scraping on around #20 (several of the ones inbetween didn't get on the list, and one had to be self-published). He still sells enough to justify being published, but it's a mere fraction of what he did before.

Roughly what you say that works out at, in terms of sales?

There seems nothing wrong with the cover that I can see.

2 hours ago, SeanF said:

How about a cover, in which the evil chicken is holding a battle standard, with Kahlan's head nailed to it?

If it's not a scene from one of the books, I suspect it would draw more ire than praise to this forum.

26 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

If it's not a scene from one of the books, I suspect it would draw more ire than praise to this forum.

It would be a very striking image, though. 

It might even generate more sales for Mr. Goodkind.

Archived