Goodkind 54: How to Revive a Dead Dick

Myshkin

Wait Tairy doesn't illustrate his own covers?  Surely he has the moral fortitude and innate talent to paint a masterpiece that properly conveys his Important Human Themes (while possessing absolutely no talent, training, or skill.... it worked for his writing)!!!  I'm so disappointed.

10 hours ago, SeanF said:

Roughly what you say that works out at, in terms of sales?

There seems nothing wrong with the cover that I can see.

Very difficult to say. I would estimate that his first-run sales are probably well batting under half and maybe a third of what they were when the last two main-series books came out. I think Pat was arguing that his sales were not that far down, but that underestimates how much easier it is to get on the NYT list in 2018 compared to even 2007 (when Confessor came out; has it really been that long?) and scraping onto the lower rungs of the Top 20 is not great going given at one stage he was shifting almost half the numbers Robert Jordan was in the 1990s.

Wait Tairy doesn't illustrate his own covers?  Surely he has the moral fortitude and innate talent to paint a masterpiece that properly conveys his Important Human Themes (while possessing absolutely no talent, training, or skill.... it worked for his writing)!!!  I'm so disappointed.

Goodkind is a carpenter, woodworker and part-time racing driver (seriously, he owns a karting company called Rahl Racing), and apparently conceived of Richard's story whilst roofting his house (as you do), so you'd imagine he could certainly carve something appropriate.

Between the wood-carving and Objectivist (which is basically Super-Libertarianism) stuff, it occured to me that Goodkind very much wants to be the Ron Swanson of Fantasy, but in reality is the Ron Burgundy.*

(* which I wish I could take credit for, but it was someone on Reddit; I said Ron Jeremy but Burgundy is probably more appropriate)

Archived