What do you still want to know?

glamourweaver

Im not yet finished reading but something minor I want more info on is Rhaenys & Meraxes' deaths down in Dorne, like wtf?! After the War of Conquest and Aegon consolidating his power everything (for the most part) seemed good. But then all of a sudden in what 10AC, Rhaenys & Meraxes pop up dead and then they just move on. I believe there was mention of Aegon going through a bit of depression afterward as Rhaenys was his favorite sister but damn no revenge or nothing and why was she down there by herself to begin with? A second Dornish invasion... Did I miss something? I need details

That was my response to the Conquest section as well. The story you're looking for is in the Dorne chapter.

I saw a theory on boards that Dunk the Tall might have Targ bloodline, possibly one of Aegon IV the Unworthy bastards. Furthermore that Tarth claims the Targ blood and Dunk is speculated to be the source of it.

However, I was just rereading timelines and in the Hedge Knight first story it is estimated that he is less than 20 (possibly 16 to 18). At Sword Sword which takes place exactly 1 year later, it states that first Blackfire rebellion was 15 yrs ago and Dunk mentions several times that he was very small then (I estimate no older than 5-6). However, BlackFire rebellion took place about 16-20 yrs AFTER death of Aegon IV. There is no way Dunk can be one of Aegon IV bastard's (unless he is a secret 35 yr old). Does it mean that Dunk is the bastard of Aegon's bastard? That connection is not really Targ anymore, its more of so-called Dragonseed, certainly not enough for House of Tarth to claim Targ connection thru Dunk.

I saw a theory on boards that Dunk the Tall might have Targ bloodline, possibly one of Aegon IV the Unworthy bastards. Furthermore that Tarth claims the Targ blood and Dunk is speculated to be the source of it.

However, I was just rereading timelines and in the Hedge Knight first story it is estimated that he is less than 20 (possibly 16 to 18). At Sword Sword which takes place exactly 1 year later, it states that first Blackfire rebellion was 15 yrs ago and Dunk mentions several times that he was very small then (I estimate no older than 5-6). However, BlackFire rebellion took place about 16-20 yrs AFTER death of Aegon IV. There is no way Dunk can be one of Aegon IV bastard's (unless he is a secret 35 yr old). Does it mean that Dunk is the bastard of Aegon's bastard? That connection is not really Targ anymore, its more of so-called Dragonseed, certainly not enough for House of Tarth to claim Targ connection thru Dunk.

If someone theorized that Dunk has Targaryen blood, that would be a theory without any textual evidence..

Yeah like honestly the Roberts Rebellion sections was so weak.

"That tale is to well known to warrant repeating here" should have been the title :P

The tale is not well known at all. It works for say the Rhaegar & Lyanna stuff, but you can't even tell us about a few battles...

I thought this was one of the most frustrating things about the book.

Obviously the maester character on which the book is premised is writing to curry favor with the Baratheon kings. In such a case, he would be sure to include a glorious description of Robert's Rebellion. It would have been great to see this, because he's such an untrustworthy narrator that the audience would have been left to try to pick through what had been embellished and what was the truth. (This is also why I don't trust the description in this book of Rhaegar kidnapping Lyanna, nor of what might or might not have happened between Joanna Lannister and Aerys. Clearly the 'author' has an investment in flattering the people in power, so he could have said all manner of things that might be true but might equally be meant to stoke egos. But I don't know why this wasn't carried through to descriptions of Robert's Rebellion.)

Anyway, yes, this is one thing that needs elaboration. I'd also like to know more about, for want of a better description, the evolutionary history of Westeros - where do these different races (humans, giants, etc) comes from? What's the deal with the semi-reptilian fetuses that Targaryen women keep miscarrying? How is it possible that species with cold-specific biological requirements (mammoths, etc...) survive in summers that last for years? Somehow I'm guessing that we won't get into that, though, since the maesters seem severely limited in the scope of their scientific pursuits.

In the same vein, I'd also really like an explanation for why technological (and governance) development stalled out for 10,000 years at the level of medieval feudalism.

Oh, and I'd like to know more about Dorne. Anything about it, really, because it seems like the only halfway decent place for a woman to live in this particular world.

Archived