Small questions v. 10092

Knight Of Winter

Do we ever receive proof that there are actually 100,000 wildlings traveling with Mance?

It's mentioned a few times, but I doubt someone actually counted them to confirm their numbers. But I think that number makes sense - Mance led wildlings south not as raid or military attack, but as mass migration. Most of these 100k people were "civilians" .

My first post, be gentle! :laugh:

Are there any theories that house Reyne were descendant from the Lannisters, possibly through a bastard?

1. We've seen a lot of noble bastards using the arms of their house, but with a different color or design.

2. Castamere and Casterly Rock sound like they were both holdings of house Casterly and therefore Lann the Clever. Maybe a Lannister king had a bastard brother in the style of Orys Baratheon?

Probably not that important, just something I've been thinking about these last few days!

Are there any theories that house Reyne were descendant from the Lannisters, possibly through a bastard?

1. We've seen a lot of noble bastards using the arms of their house, but with a different color or design.

2. Castamere and Casterly Rock sound like they were both holdings of house Casterly and therefore Lann the Clever. Maybe a Lannister king had a bastard brother in the style of Orys Baratheon?

Probably not that important, just something I've been thinking about these last few days!

Could be. We dont know that and probably never will.

Welcome to the forum! :cheers:

No, the Raynes are a First Men house that have occupied Castamere since it's founding in the Age of Heroes. They have a similar stronghold to Casterly Rock, in that it was originally a mine complex that was turned to a fortress.

The Raynes did intermarry with Lannisters, even as recently as 235 AC when Ellyn Rayenes married Tion Lannister. Tion died and Ellyn tried to seduce his younger brother, Tytos, and get him to put aside his bride, Jayne Marbrand -- but to no avail. And then Ellyn was married off to Tarbeck... (you can see where this is going!). See TWOIAF, beginning p. 199. :)

Edit: Many Westerlands houses have lions on their sigils because lions were once common there.

Here is a thread discussing ice dragon: http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/88510-ice-dragon/

I read it, an noone provides any quotes, unofortunately. Most people think Ice Dragon is Jon, and all reference relevant parts of the book; but there are no quotations themselves.

I don't mean to sound ungrateful, I appreciate the effort :)

Welcome to the forum! :cheers:

No, the Raynes are a First Men house that have occupied Castamere since it's founding in the Age of Heroes. They have a similar stronghold to Casterly Rock, in that it was originally a mine complex that was turned to a fortress.

The Raynes did intermarry with Lannisters, even as recently as 235 AC when Ellyn Rayenes married Tion Lannister. Tion died and Ellyn tried to seduce his younger brother, Tytos, and get him to put aside his bride, Jayne Marbrand -- but to no avail. And then Ellyn was married off to Tarbeck... (you can see where this is going!). See TWOIAF, beginning p. 199. :)

Edit: Many Westerlands houses have lions on their sigils because lions were once common there.

Thank you!

I see, that would make sense. I can't wait to start reading the world book, I just love the history, almost more than any other part!

Here are a few from before Dance...

"Osha," Bran asked as they crossed the yard. "Do you know the way north? To the Wall and . . . and even past?"

"The way's easy. Look for the Ice Dragon, and chase the blue star in the rider's eye."

When they lost their way, as happened once or twice, they need only wait for a clear cold night when the clouds did not intrude, and look up in the sky for the Ice Dragon. The blue star in the dragon's eye pointed the way north, as Osha told him once.

So many stars, he thought as he trudged up the slope through pines and firs and ash. Maester Luwin had taught him his stars as a boy in Winterfell; he had learned the names of the twelve houses of heaven and the rulers of each; he could find the seven wanderers sacred to the Faith; he was old friends with the Ice Dragon, the Shadowcat, the Moonmaid, and the Sword of the Morning. All those he shared with Ygritte, but not some of the others. We look up at the same stars, and see such different things. The King's Crown was the Cradle, to hear her tell it; the Stallion was the Horned Lord; the red wanderer that septons preached was sacred to their Smith up here was called the Thief. And when the Thief was in the Moonmaid, that was a propitious time for a man to steal a woman, Ygritte insisted. "Like the night you stole me. The Thief was bright that night."

At the north window, he leaned against the sill for a breath of the cold night air, hoping to catch a glimpse of Mad Prendos raising sail, but the sea seemed black and empty as far as the eye could see. Is she gone already? He could only pray that she was, and the boy with her. A half moon was sliding in and out amongst thin high clouds, and Davos could see familiar stars. There was the Galley, sailing west; there the Crone's Lantern, four bright stars that enclosed a golden haze. The clouds hid most of the Ice Dragon, all but the bright blue eye that marked due north. The sky is full of smugglers' stars. They were old friends, those stars; Davos hoped that meant good luck.

In ASOIAF, there is the constellation and the old tale that's referenced but not actually told. Many readers suspect we're going to see an actual ice dragon, presumably along with ice spiders or emerging from the pools of Winterfell. Others suspect that the ice dragon is a not so subtle hint at Jon's true parentage. This could satisfy waking a dragon from stone. There are approximately one gazillion posts discussing this in endless circles.

When Jon was stabbed he said that it was as Cold as the breath of the ice dragon or something like that. I also said something like it was a Cold as the belly of the ice dragon.

I think the tunnel through the Wall was described as being like being in the belly of an ice dragon. :)

^ You can find the answers to those in the sub forum for the world book without everyone having to worry about spoilers, or if you wait till 30 days after the release can start talking about it in the general.

Edit: Messaged you the answers.

World Book mentions are getting rather difficult to avoid these days, even on the general subforum.

We are allowed to talk about it here, though, but in spoiler tags, and preferably, I think, as little as possible (so no threads about something where the World Book contains the most important/biggest argument, for example).

The "30 days after release", just to specify, will end this thursday, november 27th :)

Did you mention all of Aerys' kids?

Any chanche Dany stops in Old Valyria on her way to Westeros?

It's on the way :) ;) That doesn't mean it is certain, though, but it could be..

Archived