Small questions v. 10092

Knight Of Winter

Are wights & Others one and the same? I see the terms used both interchangeably and (what seems to be) in different contexts on this forum and elsewhere. Thanks

Actually, "White Walkers" and Others are one and the same. The TV show calls them White Walkers for some reason - the sound of the words maybe while people talking of others might be misunderstood.

They should have been consistent and renamed their undead slave zombies, but for some reason stuck with the word "Whight" which is quite similar if not identical to white as in White walkers, phonetically.

reported

Ah thanks, it does. So I guess we have yet to be fully introduced to "Others".

Well, they have already appeared in the books several times. An Other attacked Sam and he slew it with an Obsidian dagger and hence became known as ''Sam the Slayer.'' Apparently their speech sounds like the cracking of ice.

Actually, "White Walkers" and Others are one and the same. The TV show calls them White Walkers for some reason - the sound of the words maybe while people talking of others might be misunderstood.

They should have been consistent and renamed their undead slave zombies, but for some reason stuck with the word "Whight" which is quite similar if not identical to white as in White walkers, phonetically.

reported

He asked about wights, not White Walkers. I agree that wight and White Walker sound too similar. It's true, they changed the Others' name to ''White Walkers'' in the TV show because the word ''other'' is too confusing in speech. Many show watchers have not read the books.

The Others are sometimes called White Walkers in the books too though, in the 4th en 5th book only though if paid enough attention while reading.

The Others are sometimes called White Walkers in the books too though, in the 4th en 5th book only though if paid enough attention while reading.

Except for this, you wrote nothing new except what I wrote before. That's odd and makes one wonder if you read before you answer. Yes, the question was about wights, but it has happened before that the word was indeed confused with wights white walkers. (edit: seems I can't get it straight here either)

If paid enough attention while reading indeed, to use your own words, the term white walker is first used in Tyrion III, chapter 21 of Game of Thrones and also appears in Bran IV+V+VI (Ch. 24+37+53) and once each in A Clash of Kings in Bran V (35), in Storm of Swords Samwell I (18) and A Feast for Crows Samwell IV (35) ... and three times in A Dance with Dragons, Bran II (13) and Jon V (21) which happen before AFFC 35 and Jon XI (53) which happens after that. Let's call that a handfull of instances.

They are called the other or the others the remaining 631 times. Now, didn't I learn something. ;-)

edit: The Others-count corrections.

Archived