Small questions v. 10092

Knight Of Winter

World Book mentions are getting rather difficult to avoid these days, even on the general subforum.

We are allowed to talk about it here, though, but in spoiler tags, and preferably, I think, as little as possible (so no threads about something where the World Book contains the most important/biggest argument, for example).

The "30 days after release", just to specify, will end this thursday, november 27th :)

Did you mention all of Aerys' kids?

=Yep

It's on the way :) ;) That doesn't mean it is certain, though, but it could be..

A question of my own. Spoilertagged because it's about Winds

When Winds starts, the Battle for Meereen will start, we know that thanks to the readings. But what would the most important/powerful force/component of the Yunkish forces be? Do we have any idea?

I would think that the New Ghiscari legions -- similarly trained as Unsullied. :)

Is it explained in the book why, after defeat at the battle of blackwater, Melisandre didn't convince Stannis to travel to Volantis to get a fresh army? If she believed so deeply that Stannis was AA, surely she would expect to attract followers of R'hollor. Seems like a plot hole, but I can't remember if reasons were given why this wasn't an immediate response after Stannis's defeat.

Is it explained in the book why, after defeat at the battle of blackwater, Melisandre didn't convince Stannis to travel to Volantis to get a fresh army? If she believed so deeply that Stannis was AA, surely she would expect to attract followers of R'hollor. Seems like a plot hole, but I can't remember if reasons were given why this wasn't an immediate response after Stannis's defeat.

Why did Melisandre seek out Stannis? Did she see him in her flames and decided to seek him out on her own, or is she on a mission on behalf of the red priests? It doesn't seem at any point as if the latter is the case, when you compare to Moqorro who has been sent out by the priesthood.

You're right. Melisandre has gone to Stannis entirely on her own, and has her own agenda.

SSM

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/Asshai.com_Interview_in_Barcelona/

Is their any kind of law system in Westeros? If a normal citizen kills another citizen does he come in jail for this ?

It depends, as in the real world and even today. A killing can be murder, manslaughter by some intend or rather by some neglect, or a pure accident.

Something made me write down an example that just came up in my mind. It is not ASoIaF-related and I put it in spoilers so ne need to read it unless you really want to.

Imagine a miner announces widely there will be an explosion in the mine tomorrow noon, he makes sure the postern entrance to the mine is properly sealed and he posts a guard at that back gate. Then he walks around, goes in the main entrance and has the mine securely cleared of anybody else and prepares for the explosion. He then closes the main entrance and guards the mine himself. An hour before noon, he has a runner ask at the back gate if all is well. The runner returns with an ok from the guard of that gate.

Then a few youths aproach the guard at the postern entry and offer the guard a smoke and ask all there is to know about the explosion. The guard tells them the little he knows. As the drug grows on the guard, the youths unseal and unbar the entry and sneak into the mine feeling excited and brave.

The explosion strikes and injures or maybe even kills some of the youths. Chances are the law will find the miner's action to have caused the loss of life or limbs or loss of health of some of those youths. Chances are, he will be found innocent of it as he had done and checked for all the necessary security measures he could possibly have thought of.

I thought I remembered some more mentions of law and justice in SSMs but this is what I found:

- Great Councils and the Law

- Matters of Honor

^Technically the Ironborn, but a larger segment than normal of their army is experienced at fighting and they fight armored on ships whereas other people are afraid to wear armor because there's no way to swim.

Rhaenys, the Ghiscari Legions are the most numerous force with the Yunkai but 2 out of what I believe is 6 legions are camped on the far side of the river, essentially removing them from the conflict. There is a free company that has 3k men, compared to the Tattered Prince having 2k. Given that the Free companies seem to contain a variety of troops but have a heavy amount of armored cavalry similar to knights I'm going to make the assumption that they are a powerful force.

The Yunkish masters are definitely the weakest, they have been hit hard by the pale mare and each of them commands their own slave force. There are other notable forces as well, Tolosi slingers, 500 camel riding troops from Qarth etc etc.

A question of my own. Spoilertagged because it's about Winds

When Winds starts, the Battle for Meereen will start, we know that thanks to the readings. But what would the most important/powerful force/component of the Yunkish forces be? Do we have any idea?

I would think that the New Ghiscari legions -- similarly trained as Unsullied. :)

Yeah, I concur. It can't be slave soldiers of Yunkai. There are few mercenary companies (Company of the Cat, Windblown and others), but from what we've seen so far of them - mercenaries were not impressive. Legions of New Ghis are trained, skilled and disciplined, and are best contingent that besiegers currently have. We must also account navy from Volantis, though I have no idea how powerful it is or e.g. if it is manned by slaves (who just may be unwilling to fight against "Breaker of Chains" ).

And who would provide said army? Not Volantenese trairchs - they have no interest in conquering Westeros. And not priests and followers of Rh'llor - for don't believe that Stannis is AAR (but Dany). They would simply reject Mel and Stannis.

Also, it's mentioned in one of SSMs that Mel has her own agenda, separate of other Red Priests.

Which houses has Kings blood?

I know these ones has:

Stark- Kings of Winter

Karstark- Kings of Winter

Blackwood- Kings in their own land once.

Bracken - same as Blackwood.

Arryn- Kings of the Vale

Baratheon- Robert , Targ , Durrandeon( Storm Kings)

Targaryen- Kings on the IT

Martell- Nymeria the warrior princess

Florent - House Gardener( Kings of the Reach)

Lannister - Kings of the Rock

May have Kings blood:

Greyjoy- If the legend of the grey King is true

Tyrell - Didnt they have blood of House Gardener?

Umber - Maybe they where Kings of their own land once

Bolton - Same as Umber.

Tully - ???

Dayne - Blood of Nymeria the warrior Princess?

Is their any other Houses with Kings blood ?

Archived