[TWOIAF] The Other Family Trees

Hardstone

I'd like at least 100 years of Tully.

We know of Medgar Tully, Lord of RR during the Ashford Tourney. His son was a young boy, 8 years old, in 211 (placing his birth around 203 AC). Could this boy be Hoster's father? Where does Celia Tully fit in the mix?

This we actually know :) Walder Frey mentions Edmure is the fifth Lord Tully of Riverrun that he has known. If Edmure is #5, then Hoster is #4.

Medgar Tully would be #1, as he was Lord as Walder was born. That would mean that this 8 year old boy in 211 AC was #2, and that there the son of this unnamed young lord Tully was Hosters father..

There is, of course, the possibility that a Lord Tully died, and that his brother took over.. But then, it wouldn't be the brother of this 8 year old Lord, as he has no brothers (he's mentioned as being surrounded by women, suggesting no brothers, uncles or cousins.. Thus no males to inherit from him).

As to Celia Tully..

Jaehaerys was 15 in 240 AC when he broke his betrothal to Celia (Jaehaerys was thus born in 225 AC).

Assuming that his betrothed had been around his own age, Celia would have been born roughly in 225 AC as well.

Hoster was born in or between 237 AC and 241 AC. It would thus seem rather logical (the betrothals had been arranged in 237 AC after all), that Celia wasn't a sister of Hoster. If I have to guess, I'd say that Celia was the sister of Hoster's father, and the fact that she is named as the daughter of the Lord of Riverrun, would mean that the 8-year old boy (in 211 AC), thus her father, was still alive at this point (and as he would have been born in either 202 AC or 203 AC, that seems reasonable).

This we actually know :) Walder Frey mentions Edmure is the fifth Lord Tully of Riverrun that he has known. If Edmure is #5, then Hoster is #4.

Medgar Tully would be #1, as he was Lord as Walder was born. That would mean that this 8 year old boy in 211 AC was #2, and that there the son of this unnamed young lord Tully was Hosters father..

There is, of course, the possibility that a Lord Tully died, and that his brother took over.. But then, it wouldn't be the brother of this 8 year old Lord, as he has no brothers (he's mentioned as being surrounded by women, suggesting no brothers, uncles or cousins.. Thus no males to inherit from him).

As to Celia Tully..

Jaehaerys was 15 in 240 AC when he broke his betrothal to Celia (Jaehaerys was thus born in 225 AC).

Assuming that his betrothed had been around his own age, Celia would have been born roughly in 225 AC as well.

Hoster was born in or between 237 AC and 241 AC. It would thus seem rather logical (the betrothals had been arranged in 237 AC after all), that Celia wasn't a sister of Hoster. If I have to guess, I'd say that Celia was the sister of Hoster's father, and the fact that she is named as the daughter of the Lord of Riverrun, would mean that the 8-year old boy (in 211 AC), thus her father, was still alive at this point (and as he would have been born in either 202 AC or 203 AC, that seems reasonable).

What you say makes sense. I forgot about the Walder Frey quote, but it really helps us decipher this.

If Boy Lord Tully was Hoster's grandfather, he and his son would had to have been quite young at fatherhood. If Hoster was born in, lets say, 237, and Boy Lord was born in 203, he'd be 34 when Hoster was born. It's still possible, seeing as he could have been a 17 year old father and his son could have been as well. If Hoster was born around 241, the Boy Lord would be 38, making things much more likely. Of course we can only speculate on Hoster's age to begin with, but its safe to say he was older than the Tywin/Aerys/Steffon generation, but not quite as old as the Jon Arryn/Queen of Thorns generation.

What you say makes sense. I forgot about the Walder Frey quote, but it really helps us decipher this.

If Boy Lord Tully was Hoster's grandfather, he and his son would had to have been quite young at fatherhood. If Hoster was born in, lets say, 237, and Boy Lord was born in 203, he'd be 34 when Hoster was born. It's still possible, seeing as he could have been a 17 year old father and his son could have been as well. If Hoster was born around 241, the Boy Lord would be 38, making things much more likely. Of course we can only speculate on Hoster's age to begin with, but its safe to say he was older than the Tywin/Aerys/Steffon generation, but not quite as old as the Jon Arryn/Queen of Thorns generation.

Olenna Redwyne was definitly older than Hoster (she says so herself, and the World Book gives us a year for her birth, which falls earlier than Hoster's range).

If Boy Lord was indeed the only male Tully left, it would make sense that he fathered a son as soon as he was able, to ensure that House Tully would continue. If Boy Lord was 13 when his son (Hosters father) was born, that would place this birth in 215/216 AC. That would make Hoster's father early twenties when Hoster was born.

So there is some room for this to work.. Boy Lord could have been a year or so older, for example, when his heir was born.. And Hoster could have been born in the end of his range, instead of the start.. There's plenty of room for this to work, with two generations of reasonably young fathers (late teens). Hoster himself was also a young father. Born in between 237 AC and 241 AC, with Catelyn born in 264 AC, and with two sons born before her (263 AC and 262 AC as the absolute maximum), would make Hoster roughly the same age as his father and grandfather before him when his first child was born.

When I read The Other Family Trees I got excited at first glance...because I thought you had some new insight on The Others that I missed in the book!

But sadly, no.

But doing some of my own research, I did find The Others' Family Tree.

I never would have thought they had married into that family but ok.

Stunning revelation. :eek:

I do wonder, how many trees has Georg made?

Surely they all exist...

Archived