acroPHILIA #4 - Sign up and rules discussion

yomi

I think can not quite see through the comment about favorite points -- if it is in relation to my words, I am very tired. Although I do agree that the part of the suggestion I was handed (everyone aims for easy or everyone aims for hard clues), would have to include an excessive amount of the involvement of the host, who would have to screen the difficulty.

I personally like the favorite clue votes and most likely would not want to sacrifice them for the all easy/difficult clues idea, even though a certain volatility of the game where players might decide to employ different strategies and depend on being favorited by others might not appeal to everyone.

I intended it to be in relation to your words, but as I was surely tired and my brain is slightly numbed down due to a cold, it's very well possible that I didn't make much sense. I've slept now, but the cold is still there, so I'm not sure I'll do much better now. I'll try nevertheless, though

• If only guesser points are awarded, it seems a good strategy to make hard clues.

If author points are awarded, too, it might make sense to produce easy clues.

Giving an incentive to the players to create easy clues, takes a bit of a burden of the host to check whether the clues are not misleading and puts that responsibility partly on the players' shoulders. Being the host that seems attractive to me, thus I'm awarding author points.

As a player I enjoyed the middle-rate clues the best, i.e. those that needed a bit of thinking, but in the end could be solved and didn't lead to frustation. I don't really know how to make players think that making intermediate clues is the best strategy, or at least no an easy way.

I don't think that fav points should influence the strategy of how difficult you should make your clue, but maybe they, like author points, give you an incentive to make your clues not too hard, because it's unlikely that someone votes for a clue he or she has absolutely no idea about - at least I wouldn't.

I think fav points mainly give an incentive to make funny or beautiful or otherwise cool clues. I like such clues, thus I'll award author points. (I just won't award extra points for many votes, because I see no easy way to include that into my point calculation spreadsheet and I'm to lazy.)

I think fav points are also a nice way of telling your fellow players you liked their clue.

I toyed with the idea of releasing the answers before the results and info, giving players a couple of days to then vote for their favourite clue with the knowledge of the answers. That way you have a better opportunity to vote for a clue you didn't get but appreciate it's quality with the answer to hand. Players would have to avoid revealing their authorship until the results get published of course.

Hm. I don't really dislike this idea, but it seems to introduce another step and slow the game down further. I'll think about it...

Depending on when it starts I might be able to play.

I guess that means you play if we don't start before December? I think we won't, a shadow's game will surely last till late November, even if we only make a small breack, it should be December when this one starts.

Dolorous Gabe, on 21 Nov 2014 - 8:18 PM, said:snapback.png

I toyed with the idea of releasing the answers before the results and info, giving players a couple of days to then vote for their favourite clue with the knowledge of the answers. That way you have a better opportunity to vote for a clue you didn't get but appreciate it's quality with the answer to hand. Players would have to avoid revealing their authorship until the results get published of course.

Yomi

Hm. I don't really dislike this idea, but it seems to introduce another step and slow the game down further. I'll think about it...

I DO really dislike this idea. Sorry DG. And I know that as I'm not hosting I don't have much of a say in what the rules will be but thought I'd give you my input anyway.

I dislike everything about this - from the slowing down of the game even more, to the fact that the clue wasn't clear in the first place and only in hindsight.

I DO really dislike this idea. Sorry DG. And I know that as I'm not hosting I don't have much of a say in what the rules will be but thought I'd give you my input anyway.

I dislike everything about this - from the slowing down of the game even more, to the fact that the clue wasn't clear in the first place and only in hindsight.

We all as players of the game can have a say, it's just ultimately the host's decision. Of course I didn't go with it in the end, but it seems to me that you can make the guessing stage itself shorter by a couple of days and it wouldn't affect the length. Let's say the clues are published on a Thursday and the round currently lasts about a week. You make the deadline for final answers on the Tuesday and leave the final two days of the week for voting for a favourite.

You wouldn't be forced to change your mind. You'd probably have a favourite from while you were answering and you will probably stick to it, but this just allows for the possibility that you overlooked something about a clue after finding out the answer. It's hard to fully judge the quality of a clue without the answer. I'm not necessarily trying to make a case for adding it into the mix, just opening up debate on ideas on how to iron out issues with the system.

Well, I named this thread "Sign up and rules discussion" because I want your input :)

As DG said, no one would be forced to vote for a clue he or she feels was only clear in hindsight, so I don't see this as an argument against it.

But I still think the slowing thing down is. Shortening the guessing time so there would be time for seperate voting doesn't seem to be a good option to me. I mean, voting for a favourite clue was not what kept me sending in my final answers to shadow's current round till now. If I shorten rounds and thus increase pressure on players I would do so to speed the game up, not to make time for seperate voting.

I'm still not a great fan of author points.I think the points should be awarded for the amount of players not guessing a clue.

But I'll roll with it if that's the rule.

Are we starting soon,yomi,or having a wee break?

Concerning the start of the fourth game

It's not yet decided when we start. The third game ended today. I will be away for a short trip from the 5th to the 8th of december. My proposal would be to hand out the first round characters on thursday the 4th december, be avaiable for advice and feedback on your clues on the 9th december and set the deadline for handing in your clues sometime during the 10th or maybe better the 11th december (depending on how much feedback you want).

I could also start earlier (e.g. 1st december), or only after I returned from my trip (i.e. hand out the characters on the 9th december).

Please tell me, which way you would prefer.

I'm still not a great fan of author points.I think the points should be awarded for the amount of players not guessing a clue.

But I'll roll with it if that's the rule.

Are we starting soon,yomi,or having a wee break?

It's a double edged sword situation. I'm happy with either system but essentially it has to be up to the host, because without author points the host has to be prepared to check over everyone's clues to make sure they're not deliberately misleading everyone and may have to be prepared to ask for an alternative clue and also give out an even level of assistance to players, so it's more work for the host. Author points mean the author's responsibility to make the clue point to the person in question is his/her own.

Ultimately, it's up to yomi.

Count me in, too! I really liked the previous three games and I'm looking forward to finally participating in one :)

Is it already clear when we start?

Welcome Rhaena!

I feel like a horible host! Sorry, that it's so late, but welcome from me, too! I'm happy to have you as a new player!

I am willing to play But I really suck at this game. :P

Especially after your last round, I tend to disagree.

I am willing to play But I really suck at this game. :P

You do *not* really suck at this game! Well, unless I suck even more, since you beat me! :P

It's a double edged sword situation. I'm happy with either system but essentially it has to be up to the host, because without author points the host has to be prepared to check over everyone's clues to make sure they're not deliberately misleading everyone and may have to be prepared to ask for an alternative clue and also give out an even level of assistance to players, so it's more work for the host. Author points mean the author's responsibility to make the clue point to the person in question is his/her own.

Ultimately, it's up to yomi.

I agree with DG on this. By awarding points to clues that no one is able to guess, we will be encouraging deliberately misleading clues. That just makes the game frustrating for the players and extra work for the host, who now has to check every clue.

For favorite clue, I typically vote for a clue I can figure out that is still clever. Even if a clue is clever and funny, I won't vote for it as favorite if I can't figure it out.

Archived