acroPHILIA #4 - Sign up and rules discussion

yomi

Concerning the start of the fourth game

It's not yet decided when we start. The third game ended today. I will be away for a short trip from the 5th to the 8th of december. My proposal would be to hand out the first round characters on thursday the 4th december, be avaiable for advice and feedback on your clues on the 9th december and set the deadline for handing in your clues sometime during the 10th or maybe better the 11th december (depending on how much feedback you want).

I could also start earlier (e.g. 1st december), or only after I returned from my trip (i.e. hand out the characters on the 9th december).

Please tell me, which way you would prefer.

I wouldn't mind starting any time before the 5th. Even the 1st or 2nd would be fine with me. However you choose. Thanks for hosting!

Unless anyone tells me he or she is very unhappy with this, I'll hand out the first characters on Thursday, the 4th december, and the deadline for the first clues will be on Thursday, the 11th december.

Concerning theme points

I intend to make a clue for the theme and hide it among the character clues, but now started wondering how I should handle the theme points. Shall I just ignore your answer to that clue during the scoring? Or should I give extra points if you correctly identified the theme clue? If so, how many?

I thought it might be an interesting idea and wanted to try it for a round. If the feedback (after trying) is that it makes the game harder instead of easier, I would cancel it again, of course, but a bit of experiment might be nice, I thought.

IIRC 10 points for getting the theme was DG's idea in the very first round of acroPHILIA, but we then soon agreed that that was a bit to much, because getting the theme helps to figure out the clues and back then we only had two points per correct guess, so getting the theme would have made to big a difference, we felt.

I would be willing to increase the amount of theme points from 4(2) to 6(3), though, if that is what people want.

Anyway my question was about a slightly different topic. Let me eloborate more.

Suppose the list is like that:

1. Clue for character A

2. Clue for theme 1

3. Clue for character B

4. Clue for character C

Player Alpha answers:

1. Character A

2. Character D

3. Character B

4. Character C

Theme: Theme 1

Player Beta answers:

1. Character A

2. This is the theme clue

3. Character B

4. Character C

Theme: Theme 1

So, both Alpha and Beta correctly guessed the theme and would get theme points, but Beta also correctly identified which clue was the theme clue. Should Beta get extra points for that, and if so, how many? I was thinking somewhere between 1 and 3, leaning more to 1.

I've prepared a spreadsheet for the score calculation, and I think giving one point for the identification of the theme clue is well doable in this. It's the main reason why I'll give 3 points to everyone who hands in a favourite vote instead of not giving favourite clue points to those who didn't vote. It also means that I'll probably be less detailed in the score presentation.

I thought it might be an interesting idea and wanted to try it for a round. If the feedback (after trying) is that it makes the game harder instead of easier, I would cancel it again, of course, but a bit of experiment might be nice, I thought.

Can you give an example of what this might look like? Maybe use one of the past themes so I can better understand what you mean.

Oh, heck - it probably won't help me anyway, who am I kidding? I'm sure it will be clever and a good idea - I'm up for it!

Archived