Military Rankings

MizasterJ

Wow, great question. I don't know if it's stated somewhere in the book, but my impression is:

1) Renly + The Reach

2 & 3) Starks + The North (almost all of it) + The Freys + Riverrun

Lannisters + White Cloaks + Gold Cloaks

4 & 5) Stannis

Balon Greyjoy

The Martells and the Arryns have no participation but i think they're somewhere between 4 and 5.

Based solely on potential military sizes:

1. The Reach
  2. The Westerlands
  3. The Riverlands
  4. The North
  5. The Vale
  6. The Stormlands
  7. Dorne
  8. The Iron Islands

I think. Though there are many other factors at play. E.g. the Ironborn's powerful navy, the North has trouble getting all of its army together etc.

The Vale, the Stormlands and Dorne are debatable.

People keep telling me that Tywin's army outnumbered The north and the riverlands combined , but I find that hard to believe.

Fact: Robb had about 20K

People say it as a fact that in AGOTs just before Robb & the North crossed the Twins, Tywin had more men than him. How's that possible when the North is like 3x the size of the westerlands?

The whole dispute is that Robb was forced to use a strategy rather than confront Tywin head on at the ruby ford because Robb had less men, but how can that be when pretty much all of what was left of the Riverland armies would have had Robb's back?

20K without counting Riverrun and the Freys.

Right,and he did seem to gain mostly all of the remaining Riverland armies so I dont see how Tywin really outnumbered him when Robb basically assumed the Riverlands would join him rather than submit to their tormentors.

People say it as a fact that in AGOTs just before Robb & the North crossed the Twins, Tywin had more men than him. How's that possible when the North is like 3x the size of the westerlands?

The North is vast, but it has a very sparse population relative to its size. Lots of empty space because of the harsh conditions

• 3 weeks later...

By Region:

1.The Reach

2.The North

3.The Westerlands

4.The Riverlands

5. The Vale

6. The Stormlands

7. Dorne

8. The Crownlands + Goldcloaks

9. Blackwater Bay

9. The Iron Islands

By King:

1. Renly Baratheon (The Reach and the Stormlands)

2. Joffrey Baratheon (The Westerlands, the Crownlands, and the Gold Cloaks)

3. Robb Stark (Very slightly less than Tywin) (The North and the Riverlands)

4. Stannis Baratheon (Blackwater Bay)

5. Balon Greyjoy (The Iron Islands)

Archived