How did the ugly child kill that man?

H.P.

Thanks!

Umm, not to be overly obsessed with details here, but where exactly does she leave the poisoned coin? In the streets right after she slits the purse, to make the sailor guy picks it up?

Just wondering, 'cause it seems like a rather risky method. Another person could have picked it up.

Or did she mean to slit the purse just a little bit, enough for her to put the coin in? Also very risky (as we saw).

• 2 months later...

She slips in her coin in place of one of his when she split the bag.

This. The "ugly girl" was a practiced cutpurse previously. She could not get to the target. So she cut the purse of the fellow who was to pay, and slides her poisoned coin in. When the "insurer" empties the bag out, he touches the "bad" coin. It was quite a risk on A's part. The innocent fellow could have touched the coin.

How did Arya kill the man in her "ugly child" chapter? I've read the whole chapter and understand nada.

Well , the first choice has been that the coin is poisoned , because Arya has been working with the Waif and learning about poisons.

However George says nothing explicit about that but it's seems the deduction.

The second option, which is much more subtle, is that the elderly insurance broker* sees that he has a coin from the House of Black and White, something that always stops any Braavosi in their tracks, and has a heart attack. Since GRRM has never explained it, I keep hoping it will turn out this way because it makes Arya seem more clever in the eyes of the FM.

Not that what seems obvious is not cleaver, this is just much more cleaver.

(I don't take the Pate thing to be connected with the Arya action.)

*Have to say there are , apparently, fantasy stories with banks in them, but I never heard , ever!, of a fantasy story that had an Insurance Agent in it!!!

• 4 weeks later...

I'm just now rereading this chapter. Has there been any discussion of who the insurance guy was? I have a vague memory that it was mentioned in a previous chapter that there is a merchant's daughter of a ship insurer that marries someone of significance... But I don't see any discussion on this so I could be making it up.

The second option, which is much more subtle, is that the elderly insurance broker* sees that he has a coin from the House of Black and White, something that always stops any Braavosi in their tracks, and has a heart attack. Since GRRM has never explained it, I keep hoping it will turn out this way because it makes Arya seem more clever in the eyes of the FM.

Not that what seems obvious is not cleaver, this is just much more cleaver.

(I don't take the Pate thing to be connected with the Arya action.)

If your success as a killer depends on someone having a hearth attack by just showing them a coin, you are basically a killer who works on good luck. Arya showed her coin to the people on the boat that brought her to Braavos, and none of them had a hearth attack. Emphasize is also put at the fact that he bites in each coin, IIRC, and who does that as well, who next dies in the same fashion as this man? Why don't you believe that what happened to Pate is connected?

• 4 weeks later...

It's clear that she poisoned the coin and the man bit it; it's pretty hard to miss as they flat out tell you it's what happened in dialogue.

She knew the man would bite it because it was a golden dragon of Westeros, a less common coin that side of the narrow sea, and he would want to weigh and measure it, due to there being no mints keeping track of that in Braavos. The first step in testing would be a quick bite to check how firm it was. In TMK we see examples of shaved coins, and it's someone's job to remove coins not of weight from circulation.

Archived