Broadchurch (tv show)

AncalagonTheBlack

I certainly hope not. The story is done, dont milk it any further.

red snow:

Yeah, about the sister thing...that was probably me jumping to conclusions. I mean, the actresses look alike so I immediately thought they were related and latched on to that conclusion. And once you have your conclusion in mind I'm sure you know yourself it skews how you see things. But never mind.

Well the Defence KNOWS how difficult there case is. Since the standard of proof is to be sure beyond all reasonable doubt, all they need to do is have the jury considering whether Mark could have done it and by rights they would need to acquit Joe. It probably to most sensible route for them.to go down, given what they have to work with.

And I dont think this season can come anywhere close to the first, no matter how good the last episode might be. Sure, its had its great moments but overall its been far inferior.

The murder this season has been a farce with all the lying and clearly piss poor investigation beforehand

What you guys expecting the verdict to be?

I'm going for two options

The verdict is guilty and at the end of the episode the released Joe is murdered. Season 3 is entirely about who killed Joe with Miller and Hardy leading the investigation despite being clear suspects.

Alternatively, he is found guilty only for us to discover it was his son who committed the murder

As for the other murder, I really don't care - I just want those characters gone.

As for the other murder, I really don't care - I just want those characters gone.

Funny you should say that, I'm much more interested in finding out what happened in Sandbrook actually, than what would be the verdict on Joe Miller's case.

Was it me or was the defence's final comments basically if you think it's remotely possibly the dad did it then the defendent is innocent desptie all the evidence?

Well, that is kind of the definition of reasonable doubt...

Is this coming back for a 3rd season?

Depends on the ratings, which I think have been okay. Towards the end of filming of S1, when the buzz was starting to build, Chibnall apparently mapped out how it could be a trilogy (groan), so definitely don't expect this to be wrapped up in a neat bow next week.

I think I read on wiki he saw it as three seasons, but wrote season 1 to stan on its own in case the ratings werent great. He pitched seasons 2 and 3 to itv at the same time, so odds are it wont be wrapped up.

Maybe season 3 will be the sandbrook trial? - the fefence can tear apart another shoddy investogation ("did you have a warrant to check her phone" ... "Werent you on restricted duties?" ... "Arent you a traffic cop in devon?")

My guess is Joe will be foud innocent but Mark or Nigel will kill him as he leaves the court.

The second series started out brilliantly in my opinion, but has got worse as it's progressed. I'm hoping for an awesome finale, but agree no matter how good it can't lift this series to the level of the first.

I've been really intrigued about the Sandbrook case throughout. But I'm finding it increasingly hard to keep up with what's going on there. I was putting that down to concentration difficulties I have anyway, but has anyone else found it hard to follow at times?

That was great. Also I had never spotted that Olly and [whatever his name is] in Doctor Who were the same person!

Actually, the ending was quite satisfying, thinking about it.

I was glad they didn't have Joe killed off. And I'm glad Miller and the Latimer family reconciled.

The Sandbrook thing I kind of lost interest in but the resolution seemed pretty good.

Uh, the ITV woman says there is a third season. Shit.

Did the finale deliver?

Sort of. It wrapped things up very tidily meaning we probably don't have to risk watching the third season. It didn't elevate the season anywhere near as high as the original though despite the really strong start. It's probably my anti-ITV snobbery but I guess their regular viewers will think the revelations and turns of event were shocking/novel but compared to the range of high quality stuff the US and BBC put out it's nothing really different.

I will give them points for the following though

having them peacefully resolve the Joe problem by telling him to leave and refusing to stoop to his level

Other things I liked (in tune with helena here)

the two families getting together on the beach

The Sanbrook case was again very neat

hinging on everyone cracking over the pendant which was probably 1 of 500,000 bought from "argos". Although I'd rather we'd seen if Lee had confessed to the murder of the young girl as the show merely presented her POV. Then again, I think this show is "you get what you see" and therfore it was Lee.

Also, did I miss something because I'm confused about the following

when did HArdy become an active policeman again? He just suddenly seemed to be actively conducting a case again. It just seemed like shorthand writing of convenience to me. I also think there's a good chance that case would fall apart in court again as the whole keeping a suspect hidden away in a house is dodgy as hell

Red snow, we probably WILL get a third season, if the ITV announcer can be believed. At the end of the episode as the credits rolled she said (spoilers just in case)

And where will Hardy go next? Well we'll have to wait until the third season to find out"

I also wondered that about Hardy. And in addition to that...

Wasn't Miller made a traffic cop at the start? :dunno:

Red snow, we probably WILL get a third season, if the ITV announcer can be believed. At the end of the episode as the credits rolled she said (spoilers just in case)

And where will Hardy go next? Well we'll have to wait until the third season to find out"

I also wondered that about Hardy. And in addition to that...

Wasn't Miller made a traffic cop at the start? :dunno:

I know there's a third season but at least this one didn't end with any real cliffhangers (this show could have a literal one) so I don't feel as if i need to give the third season a look in order to see some threads resolved. I genuinely thought the season would end with a character's murder with season 3 working out who it was but they impressed me with a different ending.

I'm going for two options

The verdict is guilty and at the end of the episode the released Joe is murdered. Season 3 is entirely about who killed Joe with Miller and Hardy leading the investigation despite being clear suspects.

Alternatively, he is found guilty only for us to discover it was his son who committed the murder

I just read the whole thread, and I don't get why, even up to last week

people think that Joe didn't actually do it? They freaking showed him murdering Danny at the end of the first season - he picked him up by the throat and strangled him dead.

They should change the name for season three to Britain's Worst Cop, and we can watch Hardy bumble around screwing things up all over the country. That would be awesome.

Archived