Errors in the WOIAF

Queen Rhaenyra

• 1 month later...

Reading the Riverlandschapter, I was wondering whether there was a mistake with the Durrandon Blackwood intermarriage. First it is written, that the tie between Blackwoods and Durrandons is via Rodericks daughter marring "King Arlan".However later it is the son of Arlan III, who is married to Rodericks eldest daughter.

I know, that there could have been 2 marriages, as it is explained in the wiki. But I find it strange, that the son would marry the eldest daughter, while the father takes a younger one. Furthermore Arlan III is never referred to as Rodericks son-in-law.

Is it possible that "as King Arlan had taken one of Lord Roderick's daughters to wife" is missing a "'s son" after King Arlan?

I'm writing here, as the other thread has been closed, but i couldn't find anything about that. I'm sorry if it has been discussed before.

I dont know if this is an error but the picture of Baelors sisters is from left to right Elaena, Rhaena, Daena but shouldn't it be Daena on the left and Elaena on the right. Elaena had a long braid of hair which the one on the right has ,she also looks less beautiful then the other two, and it would be going in the order of eldest to youngest. It's a small thing but for some reason its stuck in my head.

I dont know if this is an error but the picture of Baelors sisters is from left to right Elaena, Rhaena, Daena but shouldn't it be Daena on the left and Elaena on the right. Elaena had a long braid of hair which the one on the right has ,she also looks less beautiful then the other two, and it would be going in the order of eldest to youngest. It's a small thing but for some reason its stuck in my head.

Look for the golden braid of Elaena's.

I thought the exact same thing. I think that you are correct, and World is wrong

Elaena had cut her hair whilst in the Maidenvault..

All in white is Rhaena, the septa ;)

This one suprised me: On page 86 the end of King Aegon III, The Broken King, it says he died at 36 years of age from consumption. On the very next page, introducing King Daeron, it says his father Aegon III died at 26.

It also says that he seemed much older then he actually was due to his melancholy, I just thought it was strange, the error is literally side by side paragraphs.

This one suprised me: On page 86 the end of King Aegon III, The Broken King, it says he died at 36 years of age from consumption. On the very next page, introducing King Daeron, it says his father Aegon III died at 26.

It also says that he seemed much older then he actually was due to his melancholy, I just thought it was strange, the error is literally side by side paragraphs.

What the text says is that his father died in the 26th year of his reign, not at age 26.

I have some more, butbim not sure if these are errors or could be clarified:

1) Nymeria and the Rhoynar are attacked by the corsair kings of Talon, the Howling Mountain and Ax Isle. But the chapter on those isles says that the corsairs came 200 years ago after the red plague which followed the century of blood. Maybe only gogossos was avalyrian penal colony and the rest was always settled by pirates and everyone was whiped out bybthe plague, and pirates resettled the isles later?

2) There are mentions of reavers and so on from the stepstones even before the doom. But i thjnk that the free cities chapter that those were born out of the century of blood. Same like the basilisks.

3) Harwyn Hoare travelled the free cities and fought as a sellsword. He was the grandfather of harren. So is it possible that he lived at the beginning of the century of blood? Wouldnt it have been very dangerous at that time to visit volantis etc.? The cahapter says that numerous ironborn fought as sellswords for free cities in their endless trade wars? Did they aleeady have trade wars shortly after the doom? Iirc there is even one mention of the disputed lands before the doom, so did the free cities fight themselves even before the doom. I mean its possible since they were no colonies but more or less independent freeholds. Just like the seven kingdoms sometimes fight themselves even after the conquest.

4) House Teague were the last riverlands house to rule before the stormlanders came at around 400 bc. We also learn that they came to power ca. 100 years after the fall of house justman. The last justman king was killed by qhored hoare, a driftwood king who surely lived several thousands of years ago, given he was a driftwood king. So did house teague rule over such a huge timespan? They are given relatively few mentions, so i wonder. Then, the wiki says that qhored killed the last justman king 700 bc!!! This is not from the worldbook, the wiki says the source is acok, a theon chapter, but i never found anythingblike that. So whats the matter?

I hope someone could clarify this, because i dont really think that these are real errors.

2) There are mentions of reavers and so on from the stepstones even before the doom. But i thjnk that the free cities chapter that those were born out of the century of blood. Same like the basilisks.

3) Harwyn Hoare travelled the free cities and fought as a sellsword. He was the grandfather of harren. So is it possible that he lived at the beginning of the century of blood? Wouldnt it have been very dangerous at that time to visit volantis etc.? The cahapter says that numerous ironborn fought as sellswords for free cities in their endless trade wars? Did they aleeady have trade wars shortly after the doom? Iirc there is even one mention of the disputed lands before the doom, so did the free cities fight themselves even before the doom. I mean its possible since they were no colonies but more or less independent freeholds. Just like the seven kingdoms sometimes fight themselves even after the conquest.

4) House Teague were the last riverlands house to rule before the stormlanders came at around 400 bc. We also learn that they came to power ca. 100 years after the fall of house justman. The last justman king was killed by qhored hoare, a driftwood king who surely lived several thousands of years ago, given he was a driftwood king. So did house teague rule over such a huge timespan? They are given relatively few mentions, so i wonder. Then, the wiki says that qhored killed the last justman king 700 bc!!! This is not from the worldbook, the wiki says the source is acok, a theon chapter, but i never found anythingblike that. So whats the matter?

I hope someone could clarify this, because i dont really think that these are real errors.

2) I don't see a mention of the pirates only starting to dwell in the Stepstones after the Doom in the Free Cities chapters. Could you possibly post the quote? Because I may have just missed it.

3) I think Harwyn just lived not long after the Doom. I can imagine that once the only thing tying them together (Valyria) fell, that the Free Cities immediately began vying for power with one another and warring. I mean, the century after the Doom is known as the Century of Blood for a reason.

4) I'm inclined to believe that there were two different Qhored Hoares, and the two just became conflated into one. After all, the Justmans came to power after the Andals invaded and the Hoares were the Kings in the Iron Islands after the fall of the Greyirons. So there was an older Driftwood King Qhored Hoare (who may not have even been a Hoare; some accounts say he was a Greyiron or Blacktyde) and a newer Iron King Qhored Hoare, and it was the later King who put an end to House Justman.

2) I don't see a mention of the pirates only starting to dwell in the Stepstones after the Doom in the Free Cities chapters. Could you possibly post the quote? Because I may have just missed it.

3) I think Harwyn just lived not long after the Doom. I can imagine that once the only thing tying them together (Valyria) fell, that the Free Cities immediately began vying for power with one another and warring. I mean, the century after the Doom is known as the Century of Blood for a reason.

4) I'm inclined to believe that there were two different Qhored Hoares, and the two just became conflated into one. After all, the Justmans came to power after the Andals invaded and the Hoares were the Kings in the Iron Islands after the fall of the Greyirons. So there was an older Driftwood King Qhored Hoare (who may not have even been a Hoare; some accounts say he was a Greyiron or Blacktyde) and a newer Iron King Qhored Hoare, and it was the later King who put an end to House Justman.

2) the wars between tyrosh, lys, and myr have also brought the formation of pirate fleets and sellsails, most of whom are located in the stepstones. However, this doesnt mean that there havent already been pirates before. Same with the basilisks.

3)idk, maybe they even fought themselves before the doom? I wondered because the iron islands chapter says shortly before mentioning harwyn that many ironborn fought in the endless trade wars between the free cities, whereas something like "they fought in the many wars of the century of blood " would have sounded more correctly, given the time.

4) hm, it never sounded like there were two qhoreds. Also the iron islands chapter about the driftwood kings mentions the driftwood king qhored as the one to put an end to house justman. So there werent two qhoreds. Some suggest that the andals only came 2000 years ago or so, so we dont know when he lived. I just wonder why the wiki says that all this ocurred 700bc (only the riverlands page says this, neither qhoreds nor bernarr justmans, and also not twoiaf)

2) the wars between tyrosh, lys, and myr have also brought the formation of pirate fleets and sellsails, most of whom are located in the stepstones. However, this doesnt mean that there havent already been pirates before. Same with the basilisks.

3)idk, maybe they even fought themselves before the doom? I wondered because the iron islands chapter says shortly before mentioning harwyn that many ironborn fought in the endless trade wars between the free cities, whereas something like "they fought in the many wars of the century of blood " would have sounded more correctly, given the time.

4) hm, it never sounded like there were two qhoreds. Also the iron islands chapter about the driftwood kings mentions the driftwood king qhored as the one to put an end to house justman. So there werent two qhoreds. Some suggest that the andals only came 2000 years ago or so, so we dont know when he lived. I just wonder why the wiki says that all this ocurred 700bc (only the riverlands page says this, neither qhoreds nor bernarr justmans, and also not twoiaf)

2) Yeah, I'm inclined to believe that more of them decided to pop up in the chaos of the Century of Blood.

3) Dunno, maybe they did engage in trade wars with one another.

4) It probably says that because House Justman didn't even exist until after the Andal Invasion. And by that point there weren't any Driftwood Kings, as the Greyirons had made the title hereditary and then after the Andal Invasion the Hoares came to power. So it's quite simply impossible for a Qhored Hoare who was a Driftwood King to have ended House Justman.

2) Yeah, I'm inclined to believe that more of them decided to pop up in the chaos of the Century of Blood.

3) Dunno, maybe they did engage in trade wars with one another.

4) It probably says that because House Justman didn't even exist until after the Andal Invasion. And by that point there weren't any Driftwood Kings, as the Greyirons had made the title hereditary and then after the Andal Invasion the Hoares came to power. So it's quite simply impossible for a Qhored Hoare who was a Driftwood King to have ended House Justman.

2) and 3) agree

4) hkuse justman existed during the beginning of andal times in the ruverlands, not the iron islands. The chapter about the andals says that the andals came to the iron islands 1000 years later than the mainland. So house hoare ruled more or less 1000 years after the andals came to westeros. So its possible. I only wonder about the teagues. I mean, regardless whoqhored was, it is fact that they came to power few time after the andal invasion and ruled until 400 bc, which is immense. I mean many great houses have ruled even longer, see the starks, who were kings for maybe 8000 years. The thing is that we only get little information about these teague kings and the time they ruled. But, imean, allthis is written by a maester hundreds or even thousands of years after, so whoknows?

2) and 3) agree

4) hkuse justman existed during the beginning of andal times in the ruverlands, not the iron islands. The chapter about the andals says that the andals came to the iron islands 1000 years later than the mainland. So house hoare ruled more or less 1000 years after the andals came to westeros. So its possible. I only wonder about the teagues. I mean, regardless whoqhored was, it is fact that they came to power few time after the andal invasion and ruled until 400 bc, which is immense. I mean many great houses have ruled even longer, see the starks, who were kings for maybe 8000 years. The thing is that we only get little information about these teague kings and the time they ruled. But, imean, allthis is written by a maester hundreds or even thousands of years after, so whoknows?

Oh yeah, I forgot that the Andal Invasion occurred at different times in different areas; my bad. But apparently the Greyirons ruled as Iron Kings for about 1,000 years, so that would put their rise to power around the time that the Andals were first landing on Westeros. But the Teagues didn't come to power shortly after the Andal invasion. The Justmans were the first Kings of the Trident after the Andal Invasion, and that wasn't until centuries after the Andals had conquered the Riverlands. And then they ruled for nearly 3 centuries, and afterwards there was nearly a hundred years of chaos. It was then that House Teague came to power.

Archived