Errors in the WOIAF

Queen Rhaenyra

That bloody ironborn section.My thinking is that I'll suggest this:p. 180: By his day, the first Men of the green lands had largely abandoned the shores of the Sunset Sea for fear of the reavers. -> By his day, the men of the green lands had largely abandoned the shores of the Sunset Sea for fear of the reaversp. 181: And late in the Age of Heroes, another crisis weakened and divided the ironborn further still. -> And then came another crisis weakened and divided the ironborn further still.p. 182: The arrival of the Andals in the Seven Kingdoms only hastened the decline of the iron islands -> The arrival of the Andals in the Seven Kingdoms centuries before had only hastened the decline of the iron islandsIn effect, this means that there were Andals present in the late driftwood king period, that they had slowly begun to have an affect on things to start with but eventually became more and more of a problem for the ironborn.That should bring it in line with all the other sections. The Justmans were a post-Andal house some decades/centuries after the fall of the Mudds, they lasted three centuries, Qhored I Hoare took them out, but the decline of the ironborn that followed was obviously tied to the growing presence of the Andals on the mainland. And then as to Teague, Torrence Teague started a dynasty that eventually lost the throne, but centuries later another Teague had hold of things. No errata for that last, don't think we'll change anything regarding the Teagues in the text.Many thanks for the attentiveness!

Sounds good. But regarding the iron islands section, whats the matter with harwyn hoare? Did he live after the doom? The text says he fought as a second son like many other ironborn for the free cities in their trade wars (shortly aftr the doom?)

And he was also a captive of basilisk isles corsairs, which according to their section came only 200 years ago (same with nymeria and the rhoynar)

These points seem like inconsistencies.

But regarding the iron islands section, whats the matter with harwyn hoare? Did he live after the doom? The text says he fought as a second son like many other ironborn for the free cities in their trade wars (shortly aftr the doom?)

And he was also a captive of basilisk isles corsairs, which according to their section came only 200 years ago (same with nymeria and the rhoynar)

These points seem like inconsistencies.

There were only three generations of Hoares who were Kings of the Isles and the Rivers (rulers of the Iron Islands and the riverlands). Harwyn took the Trident from the Storm Kings and was succeeded by his son Halleck, who ruled from Fairmarket. Halleck's son Harren then commissioned Harrenhal, but their "black line" ended soon after during the Conquest. Harwyn's era was closer to the Conquest than the Doom.

There were only three generations of Hoares who were Kings of the Isles and the Rivers (rulers of the Iron Islands and the riverlands). Harwyn took the Trident from the Storm Kings and was succeeded by his son Halleck, who ruled from Fairmarket. Halleck's son Harren then commissioned Harrenhal, but their "black line" ended soon after during the Conquest. Harwyn's era was closer to the Conquest than the Doom.

The Conquest was only about a century after the Doom. Harrenhal took 40 years to build, so Harren ruled at least 40 of those years. I'm not sure how long his father and grandfather lived, but Harwyn lived to be 64 so his reign was probably of decent length.

The Conquest was only about a century after the Doom. Harrenhal took 40 years to build, so Harren ruled at least 40 of those years. I'm not sure how long his father and grandfather lived, but Harwyn lived to be 64 so his reign was probably of decent length.

Right, brain freeze!

Afraid it highly improbable, but I can't speak for RH.

Just curious if the eBook would "update" once the corrections are made?

BTW...I know I said this before, but I just finished my second complete read of TWoIaF...Great Job! I loved it! I also have the Audiobook and I have listened to it once. But eBook or rBook (real book) is the best way to experience TWoIaF because of the added benefit of having the visuals along with the text. Thank you for the time & effort...and for putting up with the correction notices found afterwards. Its never enjoyable being corrected...let alone being corrected on a public forum!

Thank you! Great Job! And most of all, Congratulations!

I have a general question regarding Qhored Hoare:

Does anybody know why the wiki says that he lived 700 BC? As source it gives the first Theon chapter of ACOK, but i never found anything.

Also twoiaf doesnt say anything. Btw its highly improbable that he lived so late.

Will the art in twoiaf be corrected? I think not, but i found three mistakes:

The beautiful pic of the great tourney of Jaehaerys I shows the Great Sept of Baelor, which was constructed a century later.

In the Reach section we see the Oakenseat of the Gardener kings of old. The problem is it shows a rose as sigil (dunno if this is just some flower or the tyrell rose, which couldnt be because the Oakenseat was destroyed before the Tyrells came to rule as paramounts)

The last error is that there are silent sisters in the pic that shows the dead of the Rhoynar after the Rhoynish Wars. This could of course jot be, because Silent Sisters are associated with the Andals. This last error is only seen in the ebook version, since the pic of this version isnlarger than the one depicted in the real book.

Ser Cold Fingers,

Thanks!

Maester Mando,

The source is Theon's claim that "a thousand years ago" the River King's sons were slaughtered there, obviously referring to the deaths of Bernarr II's sons... but Theon is not a historian, and "a thousand years" need not be taken literally.

No art changes planned, no. The artists get artistic license.

• 2 weeks later...

When discussing Maegor's coma after the trial of seven, it says he was dead to the world for twenty-seven days. Then a few sentences later it says:

On the thirtieth day since the trial of seven, the king awoke with the sunrise and walked out onto the walls.

When discussing Maegor's coma after the trial of seven, it says he was dead to the world for twenty-seven days. Then a few sentences later it says:

Unconscious as opposed to just sleeping? Laying in bed is not dead to the world, but not walking the walls either.

dp and I edited the wrong one whoops

Unconscious as opposed to just sleeping? Laying in bed is not dead to the world, but not walking the walls either.

Also, any news on the errata?

Yeah. He was unconscious for 27 days, and thus it was decided for action. On day 28, Tyanna arrived, and took over the care for Maegor. On day 30, he awoke. So Tyanna spend day 28, day 29 en day 30 (until sunrise) taking care of Maegor.

Yeah. He was unconscious for 27 days, and thus it was decided for action. On day 28, Tyanna arrived, and took over the care for Maegor. On day 30, he awoke. So Tyanna spend day 28, day 29 en day 30 (until sunrise) taking care of Maegor.

Doh, I read that as "Thirteenth." don't mind me.

• 2 weeks later...

Ran, as i noted earlier, could you clarify whats the matter with the corsairs of the basilisk isles? Beacuse from their section we learn that the corsairs came 200 years ago (xandarro xhore and some others). But then, in the ten thousand ships section we learn that the rhoynar were attacked by corsair kings, and again in the iron isles section that harwyn hoare was a captive of corsairs there in his youth.

Coukd you only clarify if this is an inconsistency or not? Thank you.

Archived