Official Blatant but Honest Self Promotion Thread

EruditeFool

My Fictionaut page: http://fictionaut.com/users/iain-james-robb

My page on Cosmoetica. Needs a bit of scrolling down: http://www.cosmoetica.com/vm.htm#Iain%20James%20Robb

I have some other online credits, and have been printed by New Voices Press a few times in anthologies and Italia magazine. I have an e-book coming out in the middle of April. After that, I muscle down to writing my sci-fi/fantasy series.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Richard Writhen said:

At about that tyme, yet over on Wallins Street, somewhat to the north and west of the tailor’s shoppe...

Surely that should be 'ye olde tailor's shoppe,' no? :P

Edited by Spockydog

2 hours ago, Richard Writhen said:

Do you click on my links just to talk smack about the first line, or do you actually read the whole thing?

Go read some Mortal Instruments or something more to your liking :ack:

I can foresee many problems for you if you seriously intend to become an author and can't take criticism. 

2 hours ago, Richard Writhen said:

Do you click on my links just to talk smack about the first line, or do you actually read the whole thing?

Go read some Mortal Instruments or something more to your liking :ack:

If you really must know, I couldn't bring myself to read much more. Your so-called 'stylistic choice' is so damn hokey and distracting, it's impossible to take you, or your writing, seriously. 

Sorry, but there it is.

And Helena's right. If you want to be a writer, you're really gonna have to work on thickening your skin.

ETA: And you really should be posting this shit in the Boarders Writing a Novel thread. This is a self promotion thread, and the way I see it, you've currently got fuck all to promote.

Edited by Spockydog

23 hours ago, Spockydog said:

If you really must know, I couldn't bring myself to read much more. Your so-called 'stylistic choice' is so damn hokey and distracting, it's impossible to take you, or your writing, seriously. 

Sorry, but there it is.

And Helena's right. If you want to be a writer, you're really gonna have to work on thickening your skin.

ETA: And you really should be posting this shit in the Boarders Writing a Novel thread. This is a self promotion thread, and the way I see it, you've currently got fuck all to promote.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/author

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/promotion

I am already a writer, and I am already an author. Whether you have read my work or not is irrelevant. As for thick skin, this is obviously the effect you intended, otherwise you wouldn't have posted again with the exact same complaint. If your second grade reading level precludes you from enjoying what I write, so be it. And as for "f**k all", I think 35,000 words is indeed something, not nothing, champ.

32 minutes ago, Richard Writhen said:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/author

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/promotion

I am already a writer, and I am already an author. Whether you have read my work or not is irrelevant. As for thick skin, this is obviously the effect you intended, otherwise you wouldn't have posted again with the exact same complaint. If your second grade reading level precludes you from enjoying what I write, so be it. And as for "f**k all", I think 35,000 words is indeed something, not nothing, champ.

My intention was a bit of good-natured joshing, until you went and threw your toys out of the pram. And look, if you're going to post stuff online then point to it and say, 'Look at me, everyone. I am writer.' Then you'd better be prepared for whatever gets thrown at you.

Edited by Spockydog

7 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

My intention was a bit of good-natured joshing, until you went and threw your toys out of the pram. And look, if you're going to post stuff online then point to it and say, 'Look at me, everyone. I am writer.' Then you better be prepared for whatever gets thrown at you.

Thank you. Your "criticism" has been taken into account. :D

39 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

My intention was a bit of good-natured joshing, until you went and threw your toys out of the pram. And look, if you're going to post stuff online then point to it and say, 'Look at me, everyone. I am writer.' Then you'd better be prepared for whatever gets thrown at you.

Do we still have the author meltdown thread going?

1 hour ago, Rcollins said:

Clearly you haven't heard about his shit-hot concept.

In all seriousness, there's a difference between criticism and ridicule. Yes it always looks bad to defend your work when you put it out there to be critiqued, but it's not like the initial comment was really meant to be helpful. These threads are supposed to be about support, not mocking each other. Let's just drop the personal insults and move on.

As I've already said, the initial comment was a bit of gentle ribbing. His reaction to it was pathetic.

And if he'd posted in the actual writing thread, I wouldn't have said a thing. But because he's posting his half-a-dozen half-finished chapters in a thread for promoting finished products, he's fair game for a bit of piss-taking.

You want me to be helpful? Okay then. Nobody will publish this. The style is bizarre and invites ridicule. And that's not even the worst of it. I could read it all and post a full and honest critique, but I don't think anyone needs to see that.

Edited by Spockydog