Official Blatant but Honest Self Promotion Thread

EruditeFool

22 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Congratulations! I bought my copy yesterday and made a start, will make the time to review it since it’s a board member :) enjoying it so far though. You like detailing what clothes everyone wears huh? (Not a criticism, just an observation)

I don’t know how sales notifications work, but didn’t it feel good to see your first ebook sale? 

Thanks!  I really appreciate the sale, and a review if you get the chance to post one. Hope you enjoy the story.

Don't worry, it doesn't turn into WOT with every change of clothes described. But I wanted to get some in early to paint a picture of how people dressed. Men being outdoors without a hat was a big no-no.  Research was a bit of a pain, to make sure I wasn't dressing people wrongly.

My first 5 sales kind of came at once, due to pre-orders, but the subsequent ones felt good. Various friends/family are waiting until the paperback comes out.

The public Facebook link in my earlier post is mostly a gallery of pictures from the real places featured in the book, such as the Old Toll Bar which still has many of the fittings it had at the time of the novel. So you can see a view of the bar from where Hunt was sitting in chapter 3. I've tried to put in little things like that for authenticity, to balance the story in light of the supernatural elements.

10 hours ago, The Marquis de Leech said:

I'm waiting for the paperback - I don't have a kindle. I'll also make sure to suggest it as an item at my local library.

I prefer physical books, but I occasionally use kindle if on holiday.  Saves wasting half a case on big hardbacks!

For info, there are free kindle apps for most devices. I keep one on ny iphone in case of delays when travelling

On 9/3/2018 at 7:17 PM, Derfel Cadarn said:

Thanks!  I really appreciate the sale, and a review if you get the chance to post one. Hope you enjoy the story.

Don't worry, it doesn't turn into WOT with every change of clothes described. But I wanted to get some in early to paint a picture of how people dressed. Men being outdoors without a hat was a big no-no.  Research was a bit of a pain, to make sure I wasn't dressing people wrongly.

My first 5 sales kind of came at once, due to pre-orders, but the subsequent ones felt good. Various friends/family are waiting until the paperback comes out.

The public Facebook link in my earlier post is mostly a gallery of pictures from the real places featured in the book, such as the Old Toll Bar which still has many of the fittings it had at the time of the novel. So you can see a view of the bar from where Hunt was sitting in chapter 3. I've tried to put in little things like that for authenticity, to balance the story in light of the supernatural elements.

Finished the novel now, and really enjoyed it overall. I think you have done a great job balancing supernatural elements by grounding the book in an authentic, lively environment. Loved the characters, plot was interesting (I liked that it grew in the telling. Seemed fairly straightforward at first and became more complex over time). What really stood out, I'm sure you'll be glad to hear, was the research you'd done, which resulted in a very real feeling world that came alive on the page (uh, screen!). Great job, I will definitely be buying more in this series and would certainly try your other projects. 

Have reviewed on Amazon :)

2 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Finished the novel now, and really enjoyed it overall. I think you have done a great job balancing supernatural elements by grounding the book in an authentic, lively environment. Loved the characters, plot was interesting (I liked that it grew in the telling. Seemed fairly straightforward at first and became more complex over time). What really stood out, I'm sure you'll be glad to hear, was the research you'd done, which resulted in a very real feeling world that came alive on the page (uh, screen!). Great job, I will definitely be buying more in this series and would certainly try your other projects. 

Have reviewed on Amazon :)

Many thanks for the review!  It was very detailed and balanced.

Regarding the final twist, I agree it does somewhat come from nowhere, but if you ever re-read the book you'll see little hindsight clues in the text:

Spoiler

Hunt remembering the saying about the Devil finding work for idle hands, and that his father had always had chores for him as a child, Hunt playing Lucifer in the play, and his resistance to Mesmerisation.  And of course him Unveiling during his last fight in the Necropolis. 

Two certain female characters have a much bigger role in the sequel, one of whom grew up in poverty and has a less rose-tinted view of Glasgow and the elite.  The exploitation of child labour will also be explored.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've been on a bit of a hot streak the last week and had three stories come out within a week of each other, which is a bit crazy. (usually I get stories published about three months apart.)

The first was "The Avenging Tree" (a pseudo-sequel to The Giving Tree) and was published by Stupefying Stories here

The second was a podcast of my dark Japanese fairytale "The Farmgirl and the Kitsune" and was released by The Overcast here. (This story was originally published by Abyss & Apex, but Overcast pays $50 for reprints!)

Finally, the third is my story "Pop Magic" and is included in the Mad Scientist Journal's anthology Battling In All Her Finery, which collects twenty-one stories of women who rule, whether that be in the houses of government, on the battlefield, in the boardroom, on stage, or in space. I got interviewed about the story here and you can order the book here

My novel Resurrection Men (by David Craig, Book 1 of the Sooty Feathers series) is available now as paperback as well as digital.  The below link to the publisher has a list of where/how to order it if interested.

It was officially launched at Fantasycon, and I did my first reading, which was a bit scary. 

https://elsewhen.press/index.php/catalogue/title/resurrection-men/

Edited by Derfel Cadarn

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/14/2018 at 11:36 PM, Derfel Cadarn said:

I managed to convince the two Glasgow Waterstones to each stock a copy of my novel, Resurrection Men.  :)

Ok, I know it's self-promotion in here, but I'd like to reccomend Ressurection Men. Solid, well written book.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Competition! The poorly drawn map linked below is of an area of Scotland where my novel Resurrection Men's sequel is largely set. Guess the name of the lake/loch in the centre of the picture, and be immortalised in Resurrection Men's sequel by having a minor character named after you. The only clue is it's in Scotland. PM me the answer, budding cartographers!
All correct answers will be drawn from a hat to decide the winner.
End date is 20th March. Correct answer will be revealed after then.

https://postimg.cc/RqCmxKsw

Reading Resurrection Men is not required, but won't hurt.

• 2 weeks later...