Jump to content
EruditeFool

Official Blatant but Honest Self Promotion Thread

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, MisterOJ said:

I know. 

I realize PB was blunt in his assessment, but that's just PB. After reading through some of Rychard's story, I honestly can't disagree with any of the points PB was making.

I actually didn't think PB's assessment was all that blunt even. Was pretty tame and, as you say, spot on the money

24 minutes ago, Rcollins said:

Rychard Wrythen, can I ask, how long have you been writing for?

Well people usually start learning to write age 4-5, so I suspect...a couple of years maybe?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Roose Boltons Pet Leech said:

To put it another way, good prose should not call attention to itself. Good prose should not be a set of neon lights, and should not distract from the actual story.

 

I have heard that. But art is often stylized.

 

 

Frankly I didn't post it to be deconstructed. I thought maybe someone would actually get a kick out of it.

 

 

How wrong I was. I'll go start that troglodytic moron trilogy now.

Edited by Rychard Wrythen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Muwhahaha said:

 

Don't listen to anybody Dyck, your writing is awesomely good.  Keep it up.  Sky's the limit.

 

:ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 An honest question, Rychard: who are some authors that you look up to and don't consider to be writing for trogs like us? Because I really don't understand what you're getting at.

Edited by MisterOJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is from Rychard Wrythen's A Host of Ills - Chapter Four: The Offending Foot.

 

Then, he staggered about drunkenly, trampling over the sparse grass, his bare feet randomly sinking into the still-wet raith. Far overhead, the full lunus continued to hang tenaciously in the sky, its lacht mixing with that from a plethora of blazingly bright siriettes, each of which was fixed in a constellation; the entire nacht was a black canvas upon which was painted any number of ethereal images. Gramrus shadowed his footsteps for a few casual teythes, then stopped in the doorway, his rock-like face set hard and his dark red eyes narrowed.

 

Good God, it's Gold!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lunus? Lacht? Nacht? Teythes? 

Clearly we've a genius in our midst, we are just too dim to realise it

Edited by HelenaExMachina

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ugh. "Randomly" is the worst adverb ever.

 

3 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Lunus? Lacht? Nacht? Teythes? 

Clearly we've a genius in our midst, we are just too dim to realise it

There is definitely some Dunning-Kruger Effect at work in this thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Muwhahaha said:

Then, he staggered about drunkenly, trampling over the sparse grass, his bare feet randomly sinking into the still-wet raith. Far overhead, the full lunus continued to hang tenaciously in the sky, its lacht mixing with that from a plethora of blazingly bright siriettes, each of which was fixed in a constellation; the entire nacht was a black canvas upon which was painted any number of ethereal images. Gramrus shadowed his footsteps for a few casual teythes, then stopped in the doorway, his rock-like face set hard and his dark red eyes narrowed.

I know I shouldn't, but editing:

Then, he staggered about drunkenly, trampling over the sparse grass, his bare feet randomly sinking into the still-wet raith. Far overhead, the full lunus continued to hang tenaciously in the sky, its lacht mix[ed]ing with that from a plethora of blazingly bright siriettes, each of which was fixed in a constellation; the entire nacht was a black canvas upon which was painted any number of ethereal images. Gramrus shadowed his footsteps for a few casual teythes, then stopped in the doorway, his rock-like face set hard and his dark red eyes narrowed.

(Again, cut bold). 

"Far overhead, the full lunus continued to hang tenaciously in the sky" sounds like something from The Eye of Argon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Roose Boltons Pet Leech said:

I know I shouldn't, but editing:

Then, he staggered about drunkenly, trampling over the sparse grass, his bare feet randomly sinking into the still-wet raith. Far overhead, the full lunus continued to hang tenaciously in the sky, its lacht mix[ed]ing with that from a plethora of blazingly bright siriettes, each of which was fixed in a constellation; the entire nacht was a black canvas upon which was painted any number of ethereal images. Gramrus shadowed his footsteps for a few casual teythes, then stopped in the doorway, his rock-like face set hard and his dark red eyes narrowed.

(Again, cut bold). 

"Far overhead, the full lunus continued to hang tenaciously in the sky" sounds like something from The Eye of Argon.

Did you ever consider a career in editing? Genuinely curious, you seem very good at it and my impression is you rather enjoy it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Did you ever consider a career in editing? Genuinely curious, you seem very good at it and my impression is you rather enjoy it

Very kind, but there aren't much in the way of paid editing jobs in a small country like mine (especially since I lack a journalism background). I tend to edit on an informal basis - and with the novel coming out in November, I've had a good deal of practice with my own work. I do think I'm a better editor than writer.

(The quote function on this board is seriously screwed up...).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What do you think of these lines?  Too much?

He stopped his singing, noticing he was at the bottom of the lift, the walk a blur.  Everyone else was either asleep, their minds mix, matching, and rehashing their lives or they were awake, regretting choices or fretting decisions.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MisterOJ said:

 An honest question, Rychard: who are some authors that you look up to and don't consider to be writing for trogs like us? Because I really don't understand what you're getting at.

 

I didn't say everyone here was full trog. I was quite specific. For those who were specifically named, I guess I could come up with a reading list given a few days. No promises. I mean, they are the trogs, not me, so why should I even care?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Speaking of self promotion, don't you have a book coming out Roose?

Yes. Wise Phuul is coming out in November (published by Inspired Quill, a small press in the UK). Apparently I'll get the first look at the cover art sometime this month.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Muwhahaha said:

What do you think of these lines?  Too much?

He stopped his singing[.], noticing h[H]e was at the bottom of the lift, the walk a blurEveryone else was either asleep, their minds mix, matching, and rehashing their lives or they were awake, regretting choices or fretting decisions.  

The entire second line has to go, since it violates Point Of View.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Rychard Wrythen said:

 

I didn't say everyone here was full trog. I was quite specific. For those who were specifically named, I guess I could come up with a reading list given a few days. No promises. I mean, they are the trogs, not me, so why should I even care?

I'm not asking for something that requires much thought at all. I'd just like to know what are some books/authors you enjoy? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rychard Wrythen,

You probably hear a lot that a piece of writing is like a child to the author who wrote it. Well right now you're acting like the crazy mother who runs out onto the playground to scream down the bullies that are picking on her child. You're making a spectacle of yourself, and in the long run you're not doing the "kid" any favors.

I understand the impulse to defend your work. Writing, and really creativity in general, is a very personal thing. Believe me when I say that everyone who posts regularly in this thread or the Boarders Writing a Novel threads understands how jarring it can be to have somebody disparage something that you've put a lot of yourself into (with the exception of Darth Richard, who has a miniature orgasm every time one of us sheds a tear). But you're not doing yourself any favors by defending your work like this, and saying that everybody who doesn't like it is simply too pedestrian to appreciate your prose.

One of the most inspiring things that I've ever heard from a professional writer was an interview with George RR Martin where he said "We all start out writing crap." I think that one of the big differences between a writer and a person who wants to be a writer is the ability to take criticism (constructive or otherwise)  and just roll with it. There's nothing wrong with recognizing that your stuff is crap, because that just means there's room to improve. I think that Roose Boltons Pet Leech has given you some very good, very constructive advice here, and you would be well advised to take it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Rychard Wrythen said:

However, none of this has been constructive criticism. If you all have shit for taste, which you apparently do, of course my stuff is going to seem like just what you said, shit.

You need to look a bit better, since there has been more than enough constructive criticism, ranging from peterbound's blunt speech to RBPL practically giving you free editor's services. The fact you disregard all that, and say all people on this thread have "shit for taste", as you so eloquently put it, for not liking your "stuff" is plain hilarious. And it just gets better when you take into account that this is GRRM fans' board.

Bear in mind, I'm not actually getting in on the debate regarding its quality since I haven't read your "stuff" and, given your attitude, I never will. Giving money to someone doing their best to act like an asshole would just go against my principles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×