EruditeFool

Official Blatant but Honest Self Promotion Thread

My novel, Resurrection Men, 1st book in the Sooty Feathers series, is now available for pre-order as an ebook, to be released on 31 August.  The paperback will be released on 22 October.  Elsewhen Press is the publisher.

Below is a link to the press release.

http://elsewhen.press/wp/wp-content/uploads/collateral/06Aug2018.PR.pdf

I've created a public facebook page (called David Craig - author) which has photos from places used in the novel.  I'm happy to friend anyone, but it is fully public. 

https://www.facebook.com/sooty.feathers.7

Posted (edited)

Sorry for this update, but I got my first review here. :)

"
Cinnabar's people live comfortable, peaceful lives, until the mountains fall and war sweeps down on them without warning...

A race of critters almost exactly like rabbits lives in a valley protected by a ring of mountains. Divided by family clans that serve as a caste system, the Leporines are mainly concerned with their harvest, their local politics, and their love lives...until a natural disaster unleashes an enemy like nothing they have seen before. Suddenly, the entire population is on the run and under attack, and the costs are amazingly high.

Cinnabar Rusk is a member of the elite clan of Leporines. He's a bit plump, a bit of a dreamer, and a good guy with a huge crush on the most popular girl in town. When the disaster begins, Cinnie rises to the occasion, using his knowledge of history and myth to save his friends and family and guide them toward safety, if such a thing still exists in the Valley.

Heirloom of the Rusks is an epic story that contrasts the tragedy of war and abuse against a backdrop of whimsy and fairytale. It began a little slow but, once the action hit, was unbelievably gripping, sweet, heartbreaking, and lyrical. The characters are delightful, fully envisioned, and touching. Each has their own goals, challenges, and deep conflicts. The world is so fully built to be Tolkien-esque.  I'm not certain I'm allowed to say "I loved this book," but I did. It put a knot in my stomach and brought tears to my eyes more than once.

The writing is fluid and smooth, and my sole quibble would be that the author repeats the same word close together quite a bit, something that could have been easily resolved during editing, and also uses some "pet" words (like purling) enough times that they become jarring and pull you out of the story for just a second. Very minor nitpicks for a story that was such a glorious ride overall.

I highly recommend Heirloom of the Rusks to any reader of fantasy, in particular epic fantasy, or to anyone who loves a strong character-driven story and who isn't afraid of a powerful tale that will hit you in the gut more than once."

https://furrybookreview.wixsite.com/blog/single-post/2018/08/20/Heirloom-of-the-Rusks-by-Lucas-DAquina

Edited by Lucas_d_Aquina

20 hours ago, The Marquis de Leech said:

My (very) short campanological fantasy, The Mystery of the Nineteen Bells, is now available for general consumption at Wild Musette Journal:

https://wildmusette.com/blogs/wild-musette-journal/the-mystery-of-the-nineteen-bells

I'm thinking of the Hydrogen Sonata. Or about the attempt to make the shortest possible way through 4-2 in Super Mario bros 3.

13 hours ago, Lucas_d_Aquina said:

I'm thinking of the Hydrogen Sonata. Or about the attempt to make the shortest possible way through 4-2 in Super Mario bros 3.

Sometimes the devil just likes the music. :)

My debut novel, Resurrection Men by David Craig, book 1 of the Sooty Feathers series, has released today as an ebook!

it's available on Amazon, iTunes and other ebook vendors.  Elsewhen Press is the publisher.

If anyone reads it, any reviews are greatly appreciated.  The paperback release will be around the 22 October.

I managed to successfully get a Book Bub for Lucifer's Star, which is like the holy grail for Indie book publishing. I'm really proud of my "R-rated Star Wars" and hope people with an extra 99 cents to spare will give it a try.

Proton swords, starfighters, android rebellions, and the question of who is the bad guy in war.

https://www.bookbub.com/books/lucifer-s-star-by-c-t-phipps-and-michael-suttkus?ebook_deal

Edited by C.T. Phipps

On 8/31/2018 at 7:14 AM, Derfel Cadarn said:

My debut novel, Resurrection Men by David Craig, book 1 of the Sooty Feathers series, has released today as an ebook!

it's available on Amazon, iTunes and other ebook vendors.  Elsewhen Press is the publisher.

If anyone reads it, any reviews are greatly appreciated.  The paperback release will be around the 22 October.

Congratulations! I bought my copy yesterday and made a start, will make the time to review it since it’s a board member :) enjoying it so far though. You like detailing what clothes everyone wears huh? (Not a criticism, just an observation)

I don’t know how sales notifications work, but didn’t it feel good to see your first ebook sale? 

22 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Congratulations! I bought my copy yesterday and made a start, will make the time to review it since it’s a board member :) enjoying it so far though. You like detailing what clothes everyone wears huh? (Not a criticism, just an observation)

I don’t know how sales notifications work, but didn’t it feel good to see your first ebook sale? 

Thanks!  I really appreciate the sale, and a review if you get the chance to post one. Hope you enjoy the story.

Don't worry, it doesn't turn into WOT with every change of clothes described. But I wanted to get some in early to paint a picture of how people dressed. Men being outdoors without a hat was a big no-no.  Research was a bit of a pain, to make sure I wasn't dressing people wrongly.

My first 5 sales kind of came at once, due to pre-orders, but the subsequent ones felt good. Various friends/family are waiting until the paperback comes out.

The public Facebook link in my earlier post is mostly a gallery of pictures from the real places featured in the book, such as the Old Toll Bar which still has many of the fittings it had at the time of the novel. So you can see a view of the bar from where Hunt was sitting in chapter 3. I've tried to put in little things like that for authenticity, to balance the story in light of the supernatural elements.

10 hours ago, The Marquis de Leech said:

I'm waiting for the paperback - I don't have a kindle. I'll also make sure to suggest it as an item at my local library.

I prefer physical books, but I occasionally use kindle if on holiday.  Saves wasting half a case on big hardbacks!

For info, there are free kindle apps for most devices. I keep one on ny iphone in case of delays when travelling

On 9/3/2018 at 7:17 PM, Derfel Cadarn said:

Thanks!  I really appreciate the sale, and a review if you get the chance to post one. Hope you enjoy the story.

Don't worry, it doesn't turn into WOT with every change of clothes described. But I wanted to get some in early to paint a picture of how people dressed. Men being outdoors without a hat was a big no-no.  Research was a bit of a pain, to make sure I wasn't dressing people wrongly.

My first 5 sales kind of came at once, due to pre-orders, but the subsequent ones felt good. Various friends/family are waiting until the paperback comes out.

The public Facebook link in my earlier post is mostly a gallery of pictures from the real places featured in the book, such as the Old Toll Bar which still has many of the fittings it had at the time of the novel. So you can see a view of the bar from where Hunt was sitting in chapter 3. I've tried to put in little things like that for authenticity, to balance the story in light of the supernatural elements.

Finished the novel now, and really enjoyed it overall. I think you have done a great job balancing supernatural elements by grounding the book in an authentic, lively environment. Loved the characters, plot was interesting (I liked that it grew in the telling. Seemed fairly straightforward at first and became more complex over time). What really stood out, I'm sure you'll be glad to hear, was the research you'd done, which resulted in a very real feeling world that came alive on the page (uh, screen!). Great job, I will definitely be buying more in this series and would certainly try your other projects. 

Have reviewed on Amazon :)

2 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Finished the novel now, and really enjoyed it overall. I think you have done a great job balancing supernatural elements by grounding the book in an authentic, lively environment. Loved the characters, plot was interesting (I liked that it grew in the telling. Seemed fairly straightforward at first and became more complex over time). What really stood out, I'm sure you'll be glad to hear, was the research you'd done, which resulted in a very real feeling world that came alive on the page (uh, screen!). Great job, I will definitely be buying more in this series and would certainly try your other projects. 

Have reviewed on Amazon :)

Many thanks for the review!  It was very detailed and balanced.

Regarding the final twist, I agree it does somewhat come from nowhere, but if you ever re-read the book you'll see little hindsight clues in the text:

Spoiler

Hunt remembering the saying about the Devil finding work for idle hands, and that his father had always had chores for him as a child, Hunt playing Lucifer in the play, and his resistance to Mesmerisation.  And of course him Unveiling during his last fight in the Necropolis. 

Two certain female characters have a much bigger role in the sequel, one of whom grew up in poverty and has a less rose-tinted view of Glasgow and the elite.  The exploitation of child labour will also be explored.