Most Despicable Act in the Series

SeanF

The most horrible act in the series is the Doom of Valyria; we have reason to believe it was done deliberately. The act destroyed thousands (millions?) of lives, wiped a number of species off the face of the planet while critically endangering others, destroyed thousands of years of art and culture, not to mention technologies and innovations. And to top it all off, the Doom is likely responsible for the return of the Others and the Long Winter.

We don't know that the crucified "great masters" were anything besides slaves wrapped up in tokars. Maybe maybe not. Second we don't know that the crucified children were innocent. Slaves have a monetary value so it seems likely that the great masters would stake up the criminals first. So we don't know that the "great masters" were guilty or that the "slaves" were innocent.

I'm still not convinced that it matters.In the words of the one true king of Westeros, "A good act does not wash out the bad, nor a bad act the good. Each should have its own reward."

Holy shit.

Tysha's rape

Lollys' rape

Jeyne Poole's "marriage"

The one girl that joined the Night's Watch

Donella Hornwood

Blood and Cheese

Jaeheara (sp?) Targaryen (wife of Aegon III)

Elia Martell and her children

Cleon the Butcher

Leila Lannister

The flooding of Castemere

The killing of Robert's bastard children (especially Barra)

Rhaenyra Targaryen

Theon Greyjoy becoming Reek

Gregor Clegane's existence

Ramsay Bolton's existence

Caster's wives

The whole Dance of Dragons when you think about it

The 163 slave children

Daenerys' wedding

The Bloody Mummers' existence

There's many more, but I can't think of anything else.

Edit: Shae's death

This is an amazing thread. Let's see, what else?

The Hound mowing down Mycah.

Robert ordering Dany's assassination.

LF trying to marry Sansa in AGOT (creepiest thing in the entire series).

The Tickler.

Theon threatening to hang Beth Cassel.

Roose Bolton locking Pretty Pia in the stocks at Harrenhal.

Euron on the Shield Islands.

Qyburn torturer.

Shavepate torturer.

Victarion sacrificing an entire ship of helpless slaves.

Aerion Brightflame (speculation).

Rhaegar running off with Lyanna, leading to Robert's Rebellion.

Daeron I invading Dorne.

Aegon I invading Dorne. Also, whatever happened to Rhaenys.

Whatever happened at Summerhall.

• 2 weeks later...

I disagree about bloodraven killing aenys blackfyre, not after suffering through a brutal civil war. I don't think it's bad to capture and kill someone who's going to plague the land with warfare unless his ambitions are realised. Sure it's impolite but getting your head swiftly cut off is hardly the most brutal way to die. What Is the short end to one man in comparison to the suffering of many.

Not offering a moral or ethical opinion to your view there, but a legal one.

Perfidy, or falsely using a recognised protected sign in warfare to gain the enemy's confidence only to turn on them, is one of the gravest breaches of the law of armed conflict. Repeated over and over again in military codes and customary international law, right down to the modern Geneva Conventions and Additional Protocols.

So what Bloodraven did was totally unlawful: he used a flag of peace to encourage an enemy to come to King's Landing, only to have Aenys executed.

Did the ends justify the means? That's not the point I'm making. The point I'm making is that regardless of whatever assessment you make of ends v means, what Bloodraven did was unlawful. (Admittedly by real world legal standards!)

So was Egg right to exile Bloodraven to the Wall? Yes.

Was what Bloodraven did pragmatic and justifiable under a brutal logic? Also yes.

As for the topic of the thread... there's a lot of really bad shit in these books! I think the most treacherous and vile though is Tywin wiping out those two houses from the westerlands - the original Rains (Reynes) of Castermere (Caster). And then he virtually repeated the tactic at the Red Wedding. And got away with it both times with clean hands.

We don't know why Qyburn needs living women for his experiments or what he is doing to them that "exhausts" them and requires frequent replacement, but I think that is probably going to be one of the top atrocities if we ever find out.

Ah yeah. That, if and when we ever find out the truth, will probably top my distaste for the Rains of Castermere!

Maybe they aren't the most despicable, but they shocked me more than others

- Tysha
- "Don't make me rue the day I raped your mother"
- Brandon Stark and Rickard Stark's deaths
- Jeyne Poole in Winterfell.

- Red Wedding

- Rains of Castamere. I thought it was "okay" when I read it on ASOIAF, but then when I read TWOIAF...

- Elia, Aegon and Visenya's fate

- Jaime Lannister threatening to kill Edmure's baby.

Not offering a moral or ethical opinion to your view there, but a legal one.

Perfidy, or falsely using a recognised protected sign in warfare to gain the enemy's confidence only to turn on them, is one of the gravest breaches of the law of armed conflict. Repeated over and over again in military codes and customary international law, right down to the modern Geneva Conventions and Additional Protocols.

So what Bloodraven did was totally unlawful: he used a flag of peace to encourage an enemy to come to King's Landing, only to have Aenys executed.

Did the ends justify the means? That's not the point I'm making. The point I'm making is that regardless of whatever assessment you make of ends v means, what Bloodraven did was unlawful. (Admittedly by real world legal standards!)

Yes but unlawful does not equate to horrible.

• 2 months later...

What Qyburn is doing in the black cells (for which Cersei is also accountable).

The ravaging of the Riverlands by Tywin Lannisters army (including Amory Lorch, Ser Gregor, the tickler and the Bloody Mummers).

The murders of the Harpy's Sons (including mutilations and rapes).

I'd  have to agree that the Dothraki have few, if any, redeeming characteristics (perhaps think of them as "radical environmentalists"?!?).

Archived