Most Despicable Act in the Series

SeanF

The crucifixion of 163 children, Blood and Cheese, and the murder of Elia and her children were indeed disgusting. But, their perpetrators could try to excuse them as being acts of war.

The murder of Jaehyra seems nothing more than an act of pure spite to me.

The crucifixion of 163 children, Blood and Cheese, and the murder of Elia and her children were indeed disgusting. But, their perpetrators could try to excuse them as being acts of war.

The murder of Jaehyra seems nothing more than an act of pure spite to me.

What would the Meereenese say they were trying to achieve there then? I don't think there was a military justification for that.

Oh, they were saying if you don't back off we kill more?

Why didn't they threaten that when she drew up outside the walls then?

I think it was more a case of warning her what would happen to her, if she didn't back off.

Obviously, it didn't turn out well for the Great Masters.

Meh.

They were just evil and stupid.

No more so than a number of societies that ran on slaves to the same extent, which have to keep the slaves too broken to resist or face rebellion. For example, the Spartans are said to have institutionalized the murder of helots during fall.

The crucifixions could've been to cow the slaves within Meereen as much as to spite Daenerys.

The crucifixions could've been to cow the slaves within Meereen as much as to spite Daenerys.

In which case it was even more stupid. If they had crucified rebellious or escaped slaves that would make sense, but killing innocent children is more likely to provoke an uprising. Especially with an army of freed slaves marching your way

The Field of Fire. Grotesque barbarity.

The casualties on the losing side (10% or so) don't seem that bad to me. Had Aegon and his sisters spent hours afterwards pursuing the defeated soldiers and roasting them, that would have been barbaric. But, really, they just wanted the other side to run away.

In which case it was even more stupid. If they had crucified rebellious or escaped slaves that would make sense, but killing innocent children is more likely to provoke an uprising. Especially with an army of freed slaves marching your way

Daenerys's campaign must've made the slaves within Meereen restive, meaning that the Meereenese needed something to cow them before rebellious sentiments could turn into something more. Taking the children from their parents for such a horrible fate was pretty much the strongest message that the Meereenese could send to their slaves while spiting Daenerys as a bonus.

Archived