:0 I dislike the Starks :0

Onime

I understand the reasons why almost everyone likes them, but I found/find them (with exception of Jon Snow) extremely boring/annoying.

Ned: This guy lived in a "black and white"-world. You're good as long as you're honorable, but if you do something "unhonorable" no matter what reasons you had you're bad.

Robb: A teenage boy who acted so "honorable", but when he saw two pretty eyes he forgot all his oaths.

Sansa (pre-AFfC): Annoying, superficial teenager.

Arya: How can someone like this annoying little psycho assassin?

Bran: His POV's are terrible... is that a valid reason?

Rickon: What the fuck is a Rickon?!

What's your opinion? Please don't get offensive just because I don't like these guys. :ack:

I find your reasoning lacks very much depth but whatever, it's your opinion. Though I'm not sure why you've made it through five novels, and then joined a message board, when you dislike a majority of the main characters. Though the idea of opening what amounts to a bashing thread then asking people not to get offensive is like waving a red flag in front of a bull and asking it not to charge at you.

Ned was written to be liked and was a protagonist, GRRM intended for you to like him, he's literally the good guy in the story, if you dislike him, you're reading it wrong. Your reasons for Bran and Rickon are okay I suppose, as long as you don't mean you dislike them as people, because there's nothing wrong with disliking them because they're uninteresting, but there is with saying you dislike them as people, as neither of them have any reason to be disliked as people. I see were you're coming from with Sansa, Arya and Robb, however I do still disagree.

Just a quick response:

Ned - I think you completely misread. He has quite a history of doing unhonourable things in the name of love, friendship or other greater causes. He commited high treason by sheltering Jon, he changed wordings of Robert's will to avoid hurting his friend, he sympathizes with Cersei and her desire to protect her kids, he falsely confesses to save Sansa's life.

Arya - maybe, just maybe because lots of people see layers and layers of depths in her beyond "little psycho assassin" ?

Robb - after criticizing Ned for being too rigid on honour, here you criticize Robb for not being too rigid and breaking one oath.

But yeah, generally, there's a lot more depth and "interesting-ness" to Starks that what I think you give them credit for.

::sigh::

Why?

You'd rather be friends with them? Over a Stark? Who you want marrying your daughter? Your son?

You'd rather serve Roose then Ned Stark or Robb Stark?

I've always been very cynical. To do stupid things just because they're honorable would hurt me. :D

Btw; Tywin is a great lord as long as you're useful and loyal.

Mhm... LF, Tywin and Roose.

I agree with the LF and Tywin, but Roose? He is even more one dimensional than you seem to think most of the Starks are.

Tywin, like Ned also has a pretty black and white view, although for him it's "You're good as long as you are a Lannister who isn't Tyrion, but if you aren't a Lannister, for whatever reason, you are bad"

Just a quick response:

Ned - I think you completely misread. He has quite a history of doing unhonourable things in the name of love, friendship or other greater causes. He commited high treason by sheltering Jon, he changed wordings of Robert's will to avoid hurting his friend, he sympathizes with Cersei and her desire to protect her kids, he falsely confesses to save Sansa's life.

Arya - maybe, just maybe because lots of people see layers and layers of depths in her beyond "little psycho assassin" ?

Robb - after criticizing Ned for being too rigid on honour, here you criticize Robb for not being too rigid and breaking one oath.

But yeah, generally, there's a lot more depth and "interesting-ness" to Starks that what I think you give them credit for.

:agree: To add on a little bit though;

As for Sansa, her story is one of her transformation AWAY from what you (OP) dislike, to more of a LF type character

In regards to Bran; not much I can say in his defense.

Rickon is just plain awesome, but I guess we don't have enough info to make an actual legitimate judgement on him.

Though I'm not sure why you've made it through five novels, and then joined a message board, when you dislike a majority of the main characters.

I don't think you have to like the Starks to enjoy the books though? Not liking them has never stopped me from loving the books.

Do you dislike them as people or do you dislike them for the sake of your own entertainment as a reader? If it's the latter, I can understand. But I think Ned, and by extension, most of his family, is doing the right thing, even if some of the choices made look terribly naive.

I don't agree that just because a fight can't be won it isn't worth fighting. 4 Starks and 1 Snow are still alive, so it's pretty likely Ned's boyscout morality will be the deciding factor at the end of it all.

Archived