Are you angry on Tywin that ICE was melted down?

Sir Bronn

From a practical standpoint, it was still not a smart move. That sword was made of Valyrian steel; there's only so much of the stuff in Planetos and the supply can only get smaller (unless enough magic returns to create more). One can only assume that some of the stuff was lost in the melting and re-forging, as even the best blacksmith money can buy still can not handle valyrian steel without error.

Tywin could have simply dyed the sword red, named it Sharproar (or some other similar name), and kept it for himself. Than, like Casterley Rock, it could have been handed down to his heir and so forth.

That would accomplish the same thing without destroying precious valyrian steel.

This is Tywin Lannister we're talking about. He defecates gold. No price is too much for team Lannister.

From a practical standpoint, it was still not a smart move. That sword was made of Valyrian steel; there's only so much of the stuff in Planetos and the supply can only get smaller (unless enough magic returns to create more). One can only assume that some of the stuff was lost in the melting and re-forging, as even the best blacksmith money can buy still can not handle valyrian steel without error.

Tywin could have simply dyed the sword red, named it Sharproar (or some other similar name), and kept it for himself. Than, like Casterley Rock, it could have been handed down to his heir and so forth.

That would accomplish the same thing without destroying precious valyrian steel.

Who said anything about destroying the sword?

We are saying that Tywin had no right to do what he did to it it belonged to the Starks and his son had just married a Stark why couldn't he have given it to Tyrion for his half Stark son instead of melting it down to 2 for 2 evil bastards(Joffery and Jaime)?

It's disgusting to do something like that to a precious sword but what else would you expect from a monster like Tywin?

Who said anything about destroying the sword?

We are saying that Tywin had no right to do what he did to it it belonged to the Starks and his son had just married a Stark why couldn't he have given it to Tyrion for his half Stark son instead of melting it down to 2 for 2 evil bastards(Joffery and Jaime)?

It's disgusting to do something like that to a precious sword but what else would you expect from a monster like Tywin?

Unless the blacksmith was exceptionally talented, some of the Valyrian steel is inevitably going to get lost.

This is Tywin Lannister we're talking about. He defecates gold. No price is too much for team Lannister.

That is a good point.

The link below lets you be like Tywin in one aspect.

http://www.citizen-citizen.com/collections/all/products/gold-pills

Well Joffery and Jaime touching them also cheapens them.

I was talking about the steel quality. But yeah, my sweet Joff had the habit of rotting everything he touched.

I can't say the same about Jaime. I kind of like him, and giving Oathkeeper to Brienne was one of the smoothest moves he;s done so far in the story. More points for his redeeming arc.

Well , so awesome weapon.Probably one of the deadliest.Two handed sword , valyrian steel swords weight less and are sharper ,so ice is and awesome sword.

Tywin melted it down.I understand if it was a random valyrian steel sword , but that was kind of a historical sword.It should be kept as an antique or something like that.When Ned killed Dayne , he gave Dawn to House Dayne.Tywin should at least spare it in one piece.

There is no such thing as a random Valyrian steel sword: they are extremely costly and rare and therefore cherished family heirlooms with a name and a storied history.

There is no such thing as a random Valyrian steel sword: they are extremely costly and rare and therefore cherished family heirlooms with a name and a storied history.

I don't know if this counts, but the Valyrian Steel dagger used in the attempt on Bran's life had neither a history nor a cool name. The owner must not have cherished it that much if s/he was willing to trust it with some random catspaw.

Yes, I was mad. It adds insult to injury.

Tywin knew by rights the sword belonged to Sansa and Tyrion. He was in effect, stealing the sword not just form the Starks but his own family, it could be argued. It also shows a pettiness, Tywin's great house lacking something that even poorer houses have.

It does comfort one, knowing the fate of the two people he made the swords for: Joffrey was poisoned, choking to death as his own wedding while Jaime lost his sword hand.

As a Stark fan naturally

But knowing Tywin not surprising at all

In book narrative it makes sense as a symbol of the downfall or House Stark, similar to the sack of Winterfell

In terms of in-book politics, Tywin was sending a very powerful message about people who mess with the Lannisters and their candidate on the Iron Throne, plus the fact they had no VS sword was an embarrassment to the family name he wanted to fix, can't use someone else's sword so may as well try and make new ones

I think the fate of this sword will closely match what happens with Winterfell, eg there will be a new Ice or perhaps oath keeper will finally go to a Stark. Either that or Longclaw becomes the Stark household sword depending on JS arc and in time I think there will be a New Winterfell as a new era dawns in ADoS and the Stark house will be revived

Not really. Ice was a sword which belonged to his enemies and there was about zero chance in hell the Starks would ever come around for him or the Northmen changing their perspectives by the gesture of returning Ice to them. Better than to use the loot for something which would be a boon for his own House.

Archived