Are you angry on Tywin that ICE was melted down?

Sir Bronn

• 1 month later...

In book narrative it makes sense as a symbol of the downfall or House Stark, similar to the sack of Winterfell

Not just in the books, it made for a great intro in the show as well.

I never was angry at Tywin, just sad that it meant the Starks had trully and utterly lost the war.

I don't think it was a dick move at all. It was a symbol of the Lannister's power, a great gift to the then king, and a smart way to make use of a weapon which, as it was, begged to be reclaimed.

I may be in the minority here, but I think it was actually a great idea.

In the long-run, the Starks will get their revenge, and possibly other great swords (the original ice, lightbringer... ).

And Tywin now is dead. The Lannister house is dying. The Starks, on the other hand, have a lot of potential for a come-back.

It was a sad moment in the story, but it will only make the Stark come-back all the more thrilling.

I wasn't all that attached to the sword and the idea that Tywin was going to keep it didn't bother me all that much, but it really annoyed me that he had to actually melt it down. What was wrong with having a greatsword? Did you REALLY need two VS swords, eh Tywin?

Well , so awesome weapon.Probably one of the deadliest.Two handed sword , valyrian steel swords weight less and are sharper ,so ice is and awesome sword.

Tywin melted it down.I understand if it was a random valyrian steel sword , but that was kind of a historical sword.It should be kept as an antique or something like that.When Ned killed Dayne , he gave Dawn to House Dayne.Tywin should at least spare it in one piece.

considering it's not the real original Ice, i can forgive. The real original Ice, is an Other weapon, currently being wielded by 13th Lord Commander Stark, aka The Night's King.

I was angry. I understand the meaning behind it for Tywin to take it for his family, but it's just another thing for the remaining Starks to deal with when they return to power. I did appreciate Sansa's reaction though, when she noticed Ilyn Payne no longer had Ice. The sword may have been with the Starks for only 400 years, but it has meaning to the Stark kids and I hope that both swords find their way back to their hands at some point.

Here's hoping Oathkeeper really does end up being a weapon that saves Sansa and/or Arya's life. And throwing out a prayer that Arya infiltrates King's Landing, stumbles upon Widow's Wail, and steals the sword back to pass on to Rickon.

To me it was one of those things (along with screwing Shae) that showed how small Tywin really was. Each house's ancestral blade has meaning because of the history that it represents. Oathkeeper never would have had that kind of meaning for House Lannister because it was stolen from the Starks. It was their history, not the Lannisters'. Tywin's desire to have a sword is an expression of his own narcissism. He wants everybody to see how big and powerful his house is. That's why he sacked King's Landing to show that not even the Targaryens were above them. He couldn't bear the Lannister's not having a Valyrian sword because then there was an aspect in which other "lesser" houses were superior to them. It was petty.

:agree:

How big is Ice compared to Dawn? They are both greatswords, yet Ned and Robb claimed that Ice cannot be used in combat, while Arthur Dayne has no problem killing elite warriors like the Smiling Knight while using Dawn.

Nobody ever said that. Ice is very much combat-ready and a huge advantage.

Well, was.

Archived