On Sansa's "Stockholm Syndrome" with Littlefinger

Chebyshov

Which, again, did not happen, as Sansa did not intend or desire his death. She believed that he needed to be given sweetsleep in order to transport him down the mountain in a way that was both safe and preservative of the dignity of his title.

Which, again, did not happen, as Sansa did not intend or desire his death. She believed that he needed to be given sweetsleep in order to transport him down the mountain in a way that was both safe and preservative of the dignity of his title.

Well, in my version of AFFC, she also wants him to receive an extra dose right after the descend, so he'll be drugged at the feast (because that's the only time he'll be interacting with his banners, right?), the maester explained her the consequences and she decided to drug him anyways.

I am sorry, but this is BS. Sansa killing Sweetrobin would be development of what exactly?

The level of why would this be so inconsistent and thus impossible is shown in the three books where Sansa was literally compassionate to anyone around her, and some of them didn't even deserve her compassion. And suddenly, she will become ruthless monster and start killing her own blood. Yeah, that is so consistent. Sansa remaining who she was throughout all the bad things that has happened to her is one of the most influential themes in her storyline.

I never said Sansa was ruthless. She'll probably consider a kindness to put him out of his misery, which would fit in with the other lies shes told herself. A lie is not so bad if it is kindly meant.

• 4 weeks later...

I think that those who believe that Sansa will be implicit in the death of her cousin seem to forget that she also has a "selfish" reason to keep him safe. Keeping SweetRobin alive would put the plot of marrying her off to Harry the Heir to stop. Which is blatantly obvious in the last chapter that she doesn't want to marry him.

I think that those who believe that Sansa will be implicit in the death of her cousin seem to forget that she also has a "selfish" reason to keep him safe. Keeping SweetRobin alive would put the plot of marrying her off to Harry the Heir (which she doesn't want) to stop.

She doesn't like the idea to marry again, it's true, but perhaps she would like to become lady of the Vale.

Do we have any textual evidence to support that Sansa is in anyway interested in that? No? Gotcha.

What we do have clear textual evidence for is that Sansa absolutely does not want to marry again, she is a highly compassionate and moral person, and she falls into the role of protecting SR.

She doesn't like the idea to marry again, it's true, but perhaps she would like to become lady of the Vale.

So far there is no evidence that Sansa wants to become Lady of the Vale. I think it is safe to assume that Sansa doesn't desire to have power, because she has been abused by people who are corrupted by power (Cersei and Joffrey).

Do we have any textual evidence to support that Sansa is in anyway interested in that? No? Gotcha.

What we do have clear textual evidence for is that Sansa absolutely does not want to marry again, she is a highly compassionate and moral person, and she falls into the role of protecting SR.

Which BETTER alternatives she has? Why wouldn't she like to become lady of the Vale?
SR could die by natural causes, there is no need to kill him. They live in cruel medieval age without medicine. The death of a very sick child is rather normality than an exception. Sansa obviously will be very sad for her cousin, but it won't be a shock. I think his death is expected, Bronze Royce has knighted Harry and he hopes to marry one of his granddaughters to Harry, he doesn't want to kill Robert, but he obviously expect him to die. The same is for Petyr, he doesn't think the boy will live.

So far there is no evidence that Sansa wants to become Lady of the Vale. I think it is safe to assume that Sansa doesn't desire to have power, because she has been abused by people who are corrupted by power (Cersei and Joffrey).

It's not about her desires, it's about her real choices. Marry the lord of the Vale is the best available choice.

This is one of the best analyses of Sansa that I've read. Very well done. I'm especially interested in Sansa's intuition, which often seems to tell her more than even she realizes.

Sadly her intuition seemed to be AWOL in regards to Joffrey and Cersei.

I hope she goes full dark side

I don't find so impossible or out of character for her to side with LF, at least for a while, her position has greatly improve thanks to him for all she knows

Let her kill the boy and rule with an iron fist, that would be fun to read...until the dragons/others/aliens come and everything goes to hell

That doesn't explain why she's willingly poisoning him though.

I think that those who believe that Sansa will be implicit in the death of her cousin seem to forget that she also has a "selfish" reason to keep him safe. Keeping SweetRobin alive would put the plot of marrying her off to Harry the Heir to stop. Which is blatantly obvious in the last chapter that she doesn't want to marry him.

I would welcome a Sansa that truly refuses to marry again, and maybe she really is playing Littlefinger for a fool, but this isn't just a marriage -- this is a marriage for Winterfell. Sansa worked with Petyr to rebuild Winterfell in the snow, and it seems she will work with Petyr to recapture Winterfell in the story.

It's not about her desires, it's about her real choices. Marry the lord of the Vale is the best available choice.

Actually it isn't. By saving SweetRobin 1. Sansa stops her betrothal to Harry the Heir. 2. shows that she is Ned's daughter in terms of morality and pro-arryn to the lord declarants of the vale. 3. By doing this she may reveal her true identity, but if you think about it being herself in the Vale isn't necessarily bad, since Lord declarants of the Vale wanted to join Robb's cause. They could easily ally themselves with Sansa since she is the "heiress" of Winterfell. Keeping SweetRobin alive is in the best interest of Sansa for many reasons.

This is a great essay. I for one, have always seen the positives in Sansa, since many of them are traits I see in myself, although she is more naive. I agree that it isn't Stockholm syndrome at all, but more of a survival tactic. I think , if there was any Stockholm syndrome happening, it would be with Ramsay and Theon/Reek,

Stockholm syndrome can happening only with young kids, not with theon. Reek is just scared of ramsay, he is terrorized. And about sansa... And don't understand what has Stockholm syndrome to do with sansa and littlefinger relationship. First off, I'm pretty much sure that sansa kind of despises littlefinger and would get rid of him at the first moment when she wouldn't need him anymore. She needs him to survive and gain power. Then she will most than sure kill him.

There is nothing in the psychological definition that states that it can only happen with children and adults. Its about power, not about age. Theon/Reek is not a perfect example either, but there are small things in the text that can be interpreted that way. Such as Theons interactions with Mance and the spearwives. But that's just my interpretation of those events. Others may feel differently.

Stockholm syndrome can happening only with young kids, not with theon. Reek is just scared of ramsay, he is terrorized. And about sansa... And don't understand what has Stockholm syndrome to do with sansa and littlefinger relationship. First off, I'm pretty much sure that sansa kind of despises littlefinger and would get rid of him at the first moment when she wouldn't need him anymore. She needs him to survive and gain power. Then she will most than sure kill him.

Sanda's feeling about Littlefinger are mixed at this point . She knows that he has done some terrible things ( she doesn't know about some of the really bad things he has done to her family) but he did save her from Kings Landing (How bad off would she be if she had been captured after Joffrey's death? ) He also creeps her out but he also tells her all of the great things he has planned for her future. As far as she knows her whole family is dead or missing , who else is left alive in the world who shows any interest, besides Littlefinger , in her future? It's sad but she really has no one else at this time.

Archived