(f)Aegon in TWoIaF

Since Aerion's bastards are only known from an SSM, I think the officially named heir of Aerion is a much likelier candidate. He's mentioned in the books and named in TWOIAF. And we don't know what happened to him. Another hint is that the name Maegor has such symbolic significance. It ties in nicely with Varys' profession in the books (knowledge of the Red Keep), his inability to get an heir (Maegor was infertile and Varys is of course a eunuch), Varys ruthlessness with his little birds (Maegor slaughtered all the builders of the Red Keep), Varys own hand in the demise of his kin (Maegor was of course a kinslayer) and Varys desire to claim the IT for his side of the family.

A descendant of a trueborn son also has more reason to plot revenge on the Targaryens who stole his heritage. Descendants of Maegor Brightflame are the more senior branch of House Targaryen through two lines (Aerion being Egg's older brother and his wife being the daughter of Rhaegel, the older brother of Maekar). We also don't know what happened to Maegor. He just vanishes after a while. Lys is still a likely destination for him, since his father had history there.

I think Maegor died at the Tragedy of Summerhall while Varys and Serra faked their deaths but your version could also be true.

Maegor's fate should have been mentioned in TWOIAF if he had a simple and unimportant demise like dying to sickness as an infant, choking on lamprey pie, going crazy etc.

His fate is either too important spoiler for the main series to be revealed in TWOIAF or it is related to future D&E stories that George didnot want to spoil (which might still be important to the main series).

TWOIAF caused some crazy theorizing about Aerys and Joanna. For me, Maegor Brightflame offers the most potential for a theorist.

I think Maegor died at the Tragedy of Summerhall while Varys and Serra faked their deaths but your version could also be true.

Why would Aegon allow him to marry and have children? a nephew but still a threat. Like Cat said, Robb might trust Jon snow, but can he trust his children, his grandchildren?? and so on.

Aegon would be smart to keep him close at court,... So either he escaped or he died in summerhall, but probably with no children.

maybe the Citadel, or the NW could be alternative solutions.. but still risky.

We have a cook at the Shadow Tower who was fond of raping septas. He burned a seven-pointed star into his flesh for every one he claimed. His left arm is stars from wrist to elbow, and stars mark his calves as well. At Eastwatch we have a man who set his father’s house afire and barred the door. His entire family burned to death, all nine.

I have a hunch that Varys was the saboteur at Summerhal who caused the fire and barred the door.

Why should Maegor be important? All we need to know is that he was passed over by the Great Council. We also don't know what happened to Princess Rhaena and her children Aerea and Rhalla, or what happened to Daenora, Daella, Rhae, Vaella, or the children of Duncan and Jenny (if they had any).

This does not mean that any of those characters were (or will become) important.

Just going with 'Hey, we don't know what happened to Maegor, therefore he is Varys' father' is no viable conclusion.

We have a cook at the Shadow Tower who was fond of raping septas. He burned a seven-pointed star into his flesh for every one he claimed. His left arm is stars from wrist to elbow, and stars mark his calves as well. At Eastwatch we have a man who set his father’s house afire and barred the door. His entire family burned to death, all nine.

I have a hunch that Varys was the saboteur at Summerhal who caused the fire and barred the door.

I'm sorry but this is pretty much impossible. The tragedy of Summerhal took place in 259 AC, Maegor was born in 232 AC. Even if Maegor got a son on his eleventh birthday (which again is highly unlikely), Varys would have been 16 at Summerhal. A 16 year old causing the destruction of House Targaryen is just silly. Especially by something as extravagant as the tragedy of summerhal. Where would he find the knowledge, the cunning and the allies to pull such a thing off?

Why should Maegor be important? All we need to know is that he was passed over by the Great Council. We also don't know what happened to Princess Rhaena and her children Aerea and Rhalla, or what happened to Daenora, Daella, Rhae, Vaella, or the children of Duncan and Jenny (if they had any).

This does not mean that any of those characters were (or will become) important.

Just going with 'Hey, we don't know what happened to Maegor, therefore he is Varys' father' is no viable conclusion.

I could say the same about possible descendants of Calla and Bittersteel. A scenario of which you are fond off LV. The answer is of course that everything is a theory. Faegon has Blackfyre-heritage, R+L=J, why does it all matter? Proponents of theories look at the text, examine clues and think of the purpose any theory would have to the grand narrative.

Reducing this particular theory to 'hey, we don't know what happened, therefore he is Varys' father' is doing it a disservice. There is a lot more going on. The Brightfyre thread has compiled a long list of clues which point towards a Brightflame angle. Now, you're not required to believe in that threads conclusion, but you can't deny that it's a possible reading of the text. After all, the quotes are there.

TWOIAF imo has strengthened the initial thread by adding a couple of other clues. The name Maegor certainly ties in well to the theory, Aerion seems to be set up to have a much bigger presence in the future and as LordToo-Fat-to-Sit-a-Horse noticed, Illyrio's good connection with the Tyroshi Archon makes a lot more sense if he's the son of Daemon Blackfyre (the one Maelys killed).

As to your argument, you're really aunt sallying there. The case of Aerion Brightflame and Daemon Blackfyre are a lot more relevant to this series than those other previously unknown Targaryens. That's the reason GRRM decided to give us the D&E-tales as prequels to the main series and why the main series itself has references to both the Blackfyres and the Brightflames. If Aera and Rhalla were relevant, he would have set his prequels during their time and would have referenced them in the main series.

Maegor will almost certainly be important later on (apart from any Brightfyre theorizing). His story will be entangled with that of Egg's ascent to the IT. Daenora, as Maegor's mother could also possibly be relevant. If she was an Allicent type or a Rhaenys type she would have played an important part. Vaella was a lackwit, so that makes her almost irrelevant by definition. Rhae and Daella could very well be relevant, if one of them married Duncan (another theory you're fond of IIRC). Duncan's children weren't even mentioned, so it's probably safe to assume they didn't have any.

I'm sorry but this is pretty much impossible. The tragedy of Summerhal took place in 259 AC, Maegor was born in 232 AC. Even if Maegor got a son on his eleventh birthday (which again is highly unlikely), Varys would have been 16 at Summerhal. A 16 year old causing the destruction of House Targaryen is just silly. Especially by something as extravagant as the tragedy of summerhal. Where would he find the knowledge, the cunning and the allies to pull such a thing off?

I think a Varys as old as Arya was enough. It may sound crackpot but I think Varys stole the dragon eggs and replaced with fake ones containing wildfire.

Why would Aegon allow him to marry and have children? a nephew but still a threat. Like Cat said, Robb might trust Jon snow, but can he trust his children, his grandchildren?? and so on.

Aegon would be smart to keep him close at court,... So either he escaped or he died in summerhall, but probably with no children.

Why shouldn't he?I don't really think Aegon would hate Maegor because of his father's actions.Secondly Maegor's desceandants could marry into Aegon's line and so on.Last but not least,we have seen Aegon's reaction towards his children's marriages,perhaps Maegor pulled a Jeahaerys and Shaera one,unlikely but still.

Why shouldn't he?I don't really think Aegon would hate Maegor because of his father's actions.Secondly Maegor's desceandants could marry into Aegon's line and so on.Last but not least,we have seen Aegon's reaction towards his children's marriages,perhaps Maegor pulled a Jeahaerys and Shaera one,unlikely but still.

It’s not about hate. It´s uncertainty. Maegor would still be the elder line, and have a better claim. If the nobility was unhappy with Aegon, or aegon´s son and grandson, they would have the perfect excuse. You can´t guarantee some of those descendants won´t want the throne for themselves.

Sure, you could join both lines, if Maegor had only daughters, but you don´t know that. the more targaryens that come out of that line the more danger the realm faces.

The fact is that it´s always dangerous to mess up with succession lines. It shouldn´t be done, and if it is done it must be in a careful way.

In his position I would keep Maegor at court. If he want kids he can always father bastards. Just no more princes from a senior line of house targaryen.

And if we weren´t talking about Egg, I would seriously doubt the story of Varys castration.

Waiting for the first Marwyn the Mage = Maegor theory ...

Ask yourself why Aemon Targaryen was allowed to waste his life upon the Wall, when by rights he should have been raised to archmaester. His blood was why. He could not be trusted. No more than I can.

Prince Aerion, known as Brightflame or Brightfire—a most puissant knight but cruel and capricious, and a dabbler in the black arts

Archived