Michael Brown Shooting: A Bitterly Divided Nation

Tywin Manderly

The song is in bad taste, but it's just a parody on the original song. One that had King Kong in it.

I'm sure it was chosen more for it's LeRoy Brown/Michael Brown change, rather than it's King Kong racist undertones (which i'm not sure I really get, but you can project that shit onto anything)

If I'm not mistaken the original King kong movie was really a racist metaphor for the dangers of desegregation. My history teacher in high school said that so that may not be true, but sounds legit.

But the song about Leroy Brown compared him to King Kong first before the Michael Brown incident so it's just a coincidence in this case that Michael Brown has the same number of syllables as Leroy Brown and happens to also be black.

If I'm not mistaken the original King kong movie was really a racist metaphor for the dangers of desegregation. My history teacher in high school said that so that may not be true, but sounds legit.

Well, I mean, if your high school teacher said it, it's got to be true.

Or:

Sometimes a giant ape is just a giant ape. And it's owing a lot to the 'Lost World' sub genre it resides in.

Again, you can project that shit onto anything if you want to (and most here will), but it may not always be the case.

That's the problem, almost everything can be used in a racist way, if intended. We'll always have to carfully judge in the context.

I really hate that a song written by one of my heros has been abused in this way. And It's been abused wether it's use was an intended slight or "just" in the vein of he got what he deserved for stirring up trouble and being unable to deal with the consequences.

Jim Croce's song is about, how people who think they can own the world with violence will be brought down with violence. There'll always be someone bigger, stronger, more resolved or more lucky. This goes for the government as well.

And of course Jim's use of King Kong wasn't intended as a racial insult, but as liking Leroy to a big brute.

That doesn't mean it's okay if the body of law enforcement or sympathisers are boasting to be bigger brutes, anyone who understood that song knows that it means they're next to get theirs ("what they deserve") by a bigger mob!

And it ain't gonna stop until someone has the courage to stop and break that vicious (virtuous) cycle.

Archived