Who is Coldhands?

The silly CH=NK theory does not account for any reason why CH keeps his face covered at all times and GRRM makes a point out of not revealing his identity. Bran, Hodor, Summer, Meera and Jojen wouldn't know the NK from the King of Peru. But half of them would recognize Benjen.

Stick with your alternate theories if you wish, but be prepared to be disappointed when the truth comes out.

The silly CH=NK theory does not account for any reason why CH keeps his face covered at all times and GRRM makes a point out of not revealing his identity. Bran, Hodor, Summer, Meera and Jojen wouldn't know the NK from the King of Peru. But half of them would recognize Benjen.

Stick with your alternate theories if you wish, but be prepared to be disappointed when the truth comes out.

To me Coldhands is hiding to not scare Bran's gang. White walkers and whights being their major and most dreadful foes. But it can also be a known face as well.

To me Coldhands is hiding to not scare Bran's gang. White walkers and whights being their major and most dreadful foes. But it can also be a known face as well.

If Coldhands is a wight or form of wight (which is what I believe) then his death may have been caused by an injury to his face...which could scare the living crap out of those kids (and definitely Sam).

If Coldhands is a wight or form of wight (which is what I believe) then his death may have been caused by an injury to his face...which could scare the living crap out of those kids (and definitely Sam).

Nice point! Now you make me want to reread every book to see if we know a character who disappeared and had a scar or distinctive mark (birthmark even?) on his face.

Benjen is a likely candidate for being CH. And even if he isn't, I believe he must play a part in the Saga (alive or otherwise).
A lot of effort went into showing what a brilliant man Benjen was. I also be believe that he is a strong candidate for being the mystery rider at the tourney at Harrenhal. He could have some special ability (much like Bran) that set him apart from Lyanna and Benjen. Remember also that he was/is the First Ranger, which makes me doubt the possibility of him falling prey to a terrain that he practically lived in (Beyond the Wall).

Nice point! Now you make me want to reread every book to see if we know a character who disappeared and had a scar or distinctive mark (birthmark even?) on his face.

My guess is that the NW man who became Coldhands was from Brynden Rivers' era and he has not appeared in the text. I could be wrong but it is the best fit, IMO.

Benjen is a likely candidate for being CH. And even if he isn't, I believe he must play a part in the Saga (alive or otherwise).

A lot of effort went into showing what a brilliant man Benjen was. I also be believe that he is a strong candidate for being the mystery rider at the tourney at Harrenhal. He could have some special ability (much like Bran) that set him apart from Lyanna and Benjen. Remember also that he was/is the First Ranger, which makes me doubt the possibility of him falling prey to a terrain that he practically lived in (Beyond the Wall).

While I do not believe Benjen is Coldhands, I do think Benjen will play a role in the Saga...what that will be...no clue!

As for the mystery knight at Harrenhal, it is widely speculated that it was Lyanna who portrayed the Knight of the Laughing tree, not one of her brothers.

I've come around some pretty fascinating evidence to suggest CH is not Benjen. I have always been in the camp of Benjen being CH or atleast a canidate. This leaves more questions regarding his where-abouts and his importance to the story....maybe the Ghost in Winterfell?

Anyways this little tidbit is straight from GRRM's archives and past drafts. Editor ask GRRM if Benjen was indeed CH(after Brans POV description) and after returning the draft back GRRM wrote in red flat out No!

http://i.imgur.com/FfI1goA.jpg

Below is the full review and article with a ton of interesting things suchs as possible lost chapters including a JON Theon and Bran. Some great stuff.

Waymar Royce obviously. Ain't nothing that will keep that mild badass down! Spoiler! Yohn Royce is Bloodraven and Robar Royce never died he just went missing in action. Andar Royce is Daenarys.

I LoL'd. But really, with Benjen out, who the fock is he? "Your monster, Brandon Stark." What's that hinting at?

So you sure about your guess? I like your idea about him being from Brynden Rivers era. But I'm quite positive that Coldhands has to have some northern blood.

I was thinking about his attitude towards Samwell and Bran. To me he is not controlled by Bloodraven but he could have been help by him to resist the whight transformation. 1) why would Bloodraven care about helping Sam? 2) those dark eyes coldhands has, to me if he controlled by him his eyes could have switch to Bloodraven eye color, red. But at the same time something is bothering me : he calls Sam "brother", and Bloodraven was part of the Night Watch. And he's helping Bran which suits Bloodraven purpose.

I remembered that when maester Aemon was sent to the wall so was Bloodraven and some of his men from the Raven's teeth. Could Coldhands be one of them? If they were loyal to him no warging is needed.

I also keep wondering if his harnessing of an elk or the elk itself can be a clue.

So you sure about your guess? I like your idea about him being from Brynden Rivers era. But I'm quite positive that Coldhands has to have some northern blood.

I was thinking about his attitude towards Samwell and Bran. To me he is not controlled by Bloodraven but he could have been help by him to resist the whight transformation. 1) why would Bloodraven care about helping Sam? 2) those dark eyes coldhands has, to me if he controlled by him his eyes could have switch to Bloodraven eye color, red. But at the same time something is bothering me : he calls Sam "brother", and Bloodraven was part of the Night Watch. And he's helping Bran which suits Bloodraven purpose.

I remembered that when maester Aemon was sent to the wall so was Bloodraven and some of his men from the Raven's teeth. Could Coldhands be one of them? If they were loyal to him no warging is needed.

I also keep wondering if his harnessing of an elk or the elk itself can be a clue.

Coldhands might have blood of the First Men, Brynden Rivers is a Blackwood, which has blood of the First Men...so many of this Raven's Teeth could also be from Raventree Hall or the area...and be descended from the First Men...I won't go that far as saying this is so, but it is a possibility.

He saved Sam because he needed to use the Black Gate in order to get Bran through the wall...since the wall is warded and he cannot pass through it, he needed an alive black brother to open the gate, pass through and bring Bran (and gang) to the northern side of the wall.

Regardless of who Coldhands turns out to be (which I don't think his identity will be all that important) I am glad to see that there is finally something out that more or less proves that Coldhands is not Benjen.

When I first started wondering who Coldhands was...I too thought it was Benjen...but it just didn't fit after I thought about it longer. I came up with my theory after the World Book was released.

Coldhands might have blood of the First Men, Brynden Rivers is a Blackwood, which has blood of the First Men...so many of this Raven's Teeth could also be from Raventree Hall or the area...and be descended from the First Men...I won't go that far as saying this is so, but it is a possibility.

He saved Sam because he needed to use the Black Gate in order to get Bran through the wall...since the wall is warded and he cannot pass through it, he needed an alive black brother to open the gate, pass through and bring Bran (and gang) to the northern side of the wall.

Regardless of who Coldhands turns out to be (which I don't think his identity will be all that important) I am glad to see that there is finally something out that more or less proves that Coldhands is not Benjen.

When I first started wondering who Coldhands was...I too thought it was Benjen...but it just didn't fit after I thought about it longer. I came up with my theory after the World Book was released.

Thanks for this post. Helps a great deal!

I want to know more about his Raven's Teeth! Didn't know that Raventree Hall was Blackwood seat. Makes sense, I checked westeros map, Oldstones is not far. Interesting..

Sure Coldhands needed "a brother" alive but others flew and some in better shape than Sam to fight off foes if necessary. Is it because he's close to Jon and might recognize Bran and Hodor?

I too thought at first that it was Benjen but now no way. Then I thought it was the NK and now thanks to your posts I think it's one of Bloodraven Raven'sTeeth. Haven't finished the World of Ice and Fire yet.

Thanks for this post. Helps a great deal!

I want to know more about his Raven's Teeth! Didn't know that Raventree Hall was Blackwood seat. Makes sense, I checked westeros map, Oldstones is not far. Interesting..

Sure Coldhands needed "a brother" alive but others flew and some in better shape than Sam to fight off foes if necessary. Is it because he's close to Jon and might recognize Bran and Hodor?

I too thought at first that it was Benjen but now no way. Then I thought it was the NK and now thanks to your posts I think it's one of Bloodraven Raven'sTeeth. Haven't finished the World of Ice and Fire yet.

Sam was probably lucky in the fact that he was the brother saved by Coldhands...but then again...the Gilly was with him so she (and the baby) may have played a part in the choice...but that is pure speculation. Sam knowing Bran's story from Jon is probably the reason that Sam was chosen...it makes sense.

Those who think Coldhands is the Night's King also have some very valid points...but Coldhands being a member of the Night's Watch from Brynden Rivers' era (which would probably make him a member of the Raven's Teeth) makes sense to me. Because ultimately, I don't think the identity of Coldhands is important...I think he has served his greater purpose of the story. We may not see him again...only GRRM knows for certain at this point.

Sam was probably lucky in the fact that he was the brother saved by Coldhands...but then again...the Gilly was with him so she (and the baby) may have played a part in the choice...but that is pure speculation. Sam knowing Bran's story from Jon is probably the reason that Sam was chosen...it makes sense.

Those who think Coldhands is the Night's King also have some very valid points...but Coldhands being a member of the Night's Watch from Brynden Rivers' era (which would probably make him a member of the Raven's Teeth) makes sense to me. Because ultimately, I don't think the identity of Coldhands is important...I think he has served his greater purpose of the story. We may not see him again...only GRRM knows for certain at this point.

Good points, this all make sense and is logical.

I would be interested to see who's POV he would reappear in if he was to come back to the novels. I mean at this point we only have 1 POV beyond the wall and that is Bran where-as before we had Bran, Sam and Jon all serving time in the books beyond the wall. Unless he gets his on POV? I might have answered my own questions lol.

Good points, this all make sense and is logical.

I would be interested to see who's POV he would reappear in if he was to come back to the novels. I mean at this point we only have 1 POV beyond the wall and that is Bran where-as before we had Bran, Sam and Jon all serving time in the books beyond the wall. Unless he gets his on POV? I might have answered my own questions lol.

Also...Sam knew about Bran and his direwolf...so Sam was not scared or startled by the large wolf...and even let the wolf smell/lick his hand. Only then did Bran decide to go with him through the Black Gate.

I think very quickly we will have more POVs at the wall or in the North. No new POV's but we have plenty to choose from.

The Night's King is a perfect fit for Coldhands. Wasn't it Old Nan's story who identified the NK as a Stark of Winterfell, whose name was probably Brandon?

Coldhands himself said he was Bran's monster and possibly namesake adds weight to this. Whoever he is, Cold Hands has to be a Stark in origin since "he is Bran's monster".

The Night's King was also long ago - had a liaison with some kind of wight woman and was Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, therefore a black brother (and there is his familiarity and command of the crows).

I don't think he can be a wight himself because they eat babies don't they? Cold Hands rescues Sam, a child and its mother, a mother whose father sacrificed baby boys to The Others, as did the NK.

He seems kingly doesn't he - riding the most kingly of the forest animals.

A monster in many ways: The Night's King had a lot of strange magic going on in his life, making sacrifices to The Others, looks like it paid off with some kind of immortality. He hides his face perhaps in shame, because he was erased from history for what he did. It seems completely obvious he is old enough, and has the right lineage and background. What happened to his body is a mystery - this is another necessary element. He can't be a still buried body in the Winterfell crypt.

He has atonement to achieve, some kind of mission, so he helps Bran, his descendant.

Archived