Who is Coldhands?

The Night's King is a perfect fit for Coldhands. Wasn't it Old Nan's story who identified the NK as a Stark, whose name was probably Brandon?

Coldhands himself said he was Bran's monster and possibly namesake adds weight to this. Whoever he is, Cold Hands has to be a Stark in origin since "he is Bran's monster".

The Night's King was also long ago - had a liaison with some kind of wight woman and was Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, therefore a black brother (and there is his familiarity and command of the crows).

A monster in many ways: The Night's King had a lot of strange magic going on in his life, making sacrifices to The Others, looks like it paid off with some kind of immortality. He hides his face perhaps in shame, because he was erased from history for what he did. It seems completely obvious he is old enough, and has the right lineage and background.

He has atonement to achieve, so he helps Bran, his descendant.

This may be some self-promoting...but read this.

Thank you, The Othersbane. Complex. I am re-reading GOTs and DwD simultaneously. I too am fascinated with Cold Hands. He is a one off. Remind me again though, what is the difference between a wight and The Others - I get mixed up with that.

I feel that Cold Hands has a very personal connection to Bran, as he was once a Bran of Winterfell, if old Nan is correct. Its not likely old Nan would say this as a red herring to us all, so I have to take her as giving us the information we need about the Night's King character. The Night's King is well suited to ride an Elk I think.

Cold Hands body must be that of a body missing in action. Rickon and other possible CHs bodies are still in the crypt. There is the tantalizing thing about missing swords releasing spirits to wander . . . but CH is very physical, albeit, cold, dead and dusty and the location of The Night's King's body is unknown, which is an absolute necessity.

Additionally wights/The Others eat babies? CH helps rescues a baby boy and its mother. A mother whose own father also sacrificed babies to The Others.

I see this atonement aspect again. CH if Brandon Stark of Winterfell previously, i.e. the Night's King also sacrificed to the others, this helps undo his harm. I see this character's story reminiscent of other legends where spirits are doomed to walk the earth to atone and reverse the harm they caused in their life.

He might be Euron, or in league with him.
They are never seen together, and there's speculation that Euron might be dead, soooo....? :dunno:

Helping Bran doesn't rule out the Night's King though; just because we think Bloodraven has a benevolent agenda and are told by flawed history that the Night's King was evil doesn't really mean that either of those assumptions are true.

Benjen Stark is NOT Coldhands. Let me say that again he's NOT Coldhands! When presented the question G.R.R.M. has answered no or tried to change the subject, obviously cause he's answered the question before and is tired of it.

Also at a University in Santa Fe, lots of books are printed out, including A Song of Ice and Fire, to write theories, comments, and reviews about the book in it. (I've seen and read them myself. The Feast for Crows is all about how boring it is :)) A student had written the theory of Coldhands in ADWD and here's what another student found after he saw G.R.R.M. writing in the book.

Well turns out I can't post the picture. Just look up Coldhand's theories on Google and go to Images and it will be on the first page.

• 4 months later...

To reiterate what others have been saying, I remember someone posted a photo of Martin's editor writing notes in the margin of one of his manuscripts, she highlighted a passage and wrote is coldhand's benjen? or something along those lines, and in big red letters you see that Martin wrote NO.

If I had to guess, I would say Coldhands is part of the guard that Brynden Rivers brought with him to the wall when he took the black.

Archived