Bakker XXXII: The Acts of Fane

Anatúrinbor

So like a plant at a political rally asking an extraordinarily long leading question, […]

It’s what we do; we happen to like politics, and the length of our formulations is merely an artefact of the much more verbose and roundabout syntax of Old Entish. (The drafts of my own contributions to this forum are easily three times as long before editing as what I end up posting.)

Maybe there are three mountain ring sites on the Earwa map because there have been three crash landings from the Void. Inchoroi, men and nonmen.

This is an interesting idea. Though if any species is native to Earwa I would guess it would be men. Still maybe the Inchoroi aren't the first to try to seal the world.

It’s what we do; we happen to like politics, and the length of our formulations is merely an artefact of the much more verbose and roundabout syntax of Old Entish. (The drafts of my own contributions to this forum are easily three times as long before editing as what I end up posting.)

indeed, we are all experts in such, myself most of all. :)

My only point is that regarding 2a, evolution as a principle probably does not exist in Bakker's universe. Evolution isn't really a topic ever introduced or discussed in relation to Bakker's work, and I think this is relatively true of secondary world creations in fantasy as a rule.

Evolution does play a big role in Malazan (the backstory sees the evolution of humans from the same origins as the T'lan Imass) and I think is implied in ASoIaF, with the hairy men of Ib and maybe the green folk of the Thousand Isles (if real) appearing to be parallel humanoid races (i.e. what if the Neanderthals had never died out).

Maybe there are three mountain ring sites on the Earwa map because there have been three crash landings from the Void. Inchoroi, men and nonmen.

Eh, I don't think men crash landed there - Earwa is a man made planet, I'd say. Or AI built planet, with the AI's ancestor built by men. Possibly one built around a sun (the nail of heaven being an exhaust port)

The impact craters are probably someone trying to fling a dinosaur killer asteroid at the planet to kill it off. Possibly the Inchies, possibly someone else who is being screwed by the ultra quantum field used to 'police' the universe.

Isn't one of the craters where the pirates hang out? Not saying it's significant, just a cool thing.

I don't think this is a new low. No one has topped a naked female magician hiding things in her butt yet...

Thousands of years from now, when Winds is actually published and when everybody else has left this forum, the current Bakker thread will have turned into a topos. Our shades will attack random lurkers. Where is your judgement now?

Lurkers seek shelter in the Mods, but they do not know the truth. Mods are but greater demons.

:lmao:

Both of these would get likes from me in a previous era of the board.

Happy Ent's Intro:

This is the perpetual thread devoted to the works of R. Scott Bakker, primarily the books in the Second Apocalypse series, the first of which is The Darkness that Comes Before.

The current publication status is 5 volumes of novels, including The White-Luck Warrior, as well as 2 short stories, The False Sun, and The Four Revelations of Cinial'jin. This thread contains spoilers for these publications.

Since Bakker's writing uses layers of revelation, newcomers are strongly advised to finish the books before coming here; otherwise the spoilers will rot your soul. Eternally.

Most denizens of this thread have also read Bakker's non-fantasy novels Neuropath and Disciple of the Dog, but the spoiler policy is unclear. You are advised to hide crucial plot points in those novels.

-----

If only we could get an Atrocity Tale featuring Fane and his discovery of the Psûkhe.

An Atrocity Tale of Fane is a must! I want to believe that Fane's discovery was no accident, that he is part of some long con by Seswatha and/or Dunyain.

Superb fan map of Earwa. Those weird ring-shaped mountains and islands, which I thought were artifacts on the earlier digital maps, are confirmed be real by Bakker's original map of the continent made in 1984 (also on the same link). Interesting. Did Earwa go through a recent-ish series of meteor bombardments?

Also, Bakker has confirmed he will write the entire series, including the sequel duology/trilogy, but it will just take a hell of a lot longer if he has to get a day job.

tweeted!

https://twitter.com/bakkerfans/status/545550307636547584

Thousands of years from now, when Winds is actually published and when everybody else has left this forum, the current Bakker thread will have turned into a topos. Our shades will attack random lurkers. Where is your judgement now?

He tripped over something in the darkness. A skull - but fibrous. Like bark...

Archived