Bakker XXXII: The Acts of Fane

Anatúrinbor

I saw this from a former student of mine on Facebook just now:

I FREAKIN HATE TRAFIC. WHY IS IT TAKING FOREVER JUST TO GET TO WORK. AN HOUR DR IS MORE TURNING INTO A THE HR DRIVE!

To which I wanted to respond: IS NOT TRUTH INFINITE?

When Seswatha broke into Golgotterath to steal the Heron Spear, why did he take Nau-Cayuti with him?

Seemed like a good idea at the time? :dunno:

When Seswatha broke into Golgotterath to steal the Heron Spear, why did he take Nau-Cayuti with him?

the answer is unknowable at the moment do to lack of clues or information. The best speculation I could reasonably make is that seswatha did not take him in. Or he took him in to sacrifice a son Jesus style for the magics.

the answer is unknowable at the moment do to lack of clues or information. The best speculation I could reasonably make is that seswatha did not take him in. Or he took him in to sacrifice a son Jesus style for the magics.

Eh, I think it had more to do with NC's martial prowess. That's just the only explanation I can provide. Probably more to it though.

The whole story stinks of rotten fish. It took 1000 years for the cunoroi to fully search the ark, but the bronamic duo manage to find and steal the heron spear in a much shorter time?

Fair point. Though that search was for inchies trying to hide (on their home turf), not an inanimate object.

In the end Seswatha couldn't use his magic or be detected. Possibly there was an area that would even detect a magic user, so he needed a mundane. Someone with a reason to go climb into hell.

New Bakker excerpt of his short story in Grimdark magazine is out.

ETA: I'll just post the lead in quote and year:

Glory drinks blood and vomits history.

- Ajencis, The First Analytic of Men

High Spring, 3801, Year-of-the-Tusk, Carythusal

ETA2: it's very short. Not sure how I feel about the setup. Classic Bakker prose.

unJon: on average, how much semen is there per page? How many honeyed anuses?

:lol: none but it's only a few paragraphs. There are however some ... um ... choice ones: elephantine legs, a war girdle that could strap a saddle, and naked adolescents slipping as if greased.

I guess I'd always assumed that Seswatha was scurred to go into the ark all alone and that NC, drunk on vengeance, was the only MF crazy enough to go in there with him.

But doesn't Ses feel guilty about lieing to NC about his wife being alive or something to trick him into coming?

Seswatha is a lie made flesh.

My personal favorite of my theories is the whole kellhus wasn't summoned to momemn angle.

Locke since I've been doing my reread, nothing at all is mentioned as to what Kellhus's mission is, besides he was sent to his father. I'm being convinced that we haven't seen the last of Moe and he is the true architect behind everything, awesome theory you've got there.

however, i suspect the dreams are in fact a facrication.

The one with Seswatha and NC in Golgotterath I believe is real, but I don't think that he was looking for the Heron Spear.

"...Because what we do here is more important than truth or love." ... "And what do we do here, old teacher? Pray tell."

"We search," Achamian murmured. "We search for the Heron Spear."

It was something more important than the truth, which is why he invoked the Heron Spear and not the real reason they were there.

I think the Heron Spear is possibly the biggest red-herring in the series, and I think that Seswatha used it to conceal important info from the Mandate. Several Seswatha dreams - maybe the most significant ones - mention the Heron Spear in a way that to me seemed a bit out of place. I think those are all fabrications that Seswatha used to deceive the Mandate the way he did with NC.

When Mek tortures Seswatha in TTT he asks about the location of the HS, and Shae asks NC about the HS, it is supposedly the only weapon that could kill the No-God, but if it were that important I'm sure Shae would have kept it up his ass the entire time. The idea that Seswatha could have broken into Golgotterath, found the HS laying around and left with it seems very far-fetched.

And then there's the Dream in TTT where the HS is not used to kill the No-God, ("this isn't what happens") which suggests that the HS isn't really that important, and that Seswatha fabricated the Dream where it fires and kills the No-God. The same way he fabricated the other mentions of it.

Derail, but I just noticed this line in the False Sun,

Men were prone to judge in those Far Antique days, without patience or mercy.

Far Antique days? Was Far Antiquity called Far Antiquity back then? Isn't that a bit like someone from ancient times referring to the current period by saying "in those ancient times"?

Derail, but I just noticed this line in the False Sun,

Far Antique days? Was Far Antiquity called Far Antiquity back then? Isn't that a bit like someone from ancient times referring to the current period by saying "in those ancient times"?

I don't remember that line. Who was the narrator? Is the omniscient 3rd person? Or is it Shae?

Archived