Bakker XXXII: The Acts of Fane

Anatúrinbor

I think Inrithrism is a total fraud. Hundred are clearly just Ciprang, who have the power to pluck the souls they choose.

Kinda weird though - if ciphrang are there to torment the damned then...why do they get to pose as gods?

It's a bit like having jail guards who also get to be mafia bosses? I mean, lolwut?

According to the Tusk the Gods had not left the earth back in the days when the five tribes still dwelt in Eänna. If that's true, that the Gods were originally from the world, then they are not Ciphrang who are creatures of Outside "through and through" according to Bakker. IIRC, Kellhus says this (that the Gods walked the earth) after he narrates the story of Husyelt who came to Angeshraël and had him bow into the fire. I think Triskele has a theory that the fire in question is the Inverse Fire. It's also interesting that Husyelt is the first of the Hundred mentioned in the series, in the prologue of TDTCB.

I like the idea that Yatwer was a result of the Womb-Plague. It might be a clue as to why she seems to have taken a leading role in opposing Kellhus among the Hundred as far as we know.

Speaking of Yatwer, this is probably nothing but while she's not named in TDTCB, the confrontation between Geshrunni and the Skin-spy in chapter one happens in front of a Yatwerian temple called the Mouth of the Worm.

Only when he passed beneath the looming facade of the temple the Carythusali called the Mouth of the Worm did Geshrunni become alarmed.

I think Inrithrism is a total fraud. Hundred are clearly just Ciprang, who have the power to pluck the souls they choose.

Worship of the Hundred preceded Inrithism by quite some time. But why does it matter if they are just Ciphrang or not? You think people worship the Hundred because they’re good?!?!

I think the question of origin of the gods is very valid, since it can give us an idea of where Kellhus might be headed.

I feel like the idea of the "upside-down soul" and this question are related though. In addition, Bakker likes to present us with what I guess could be called "reverse mysteries" or something similar, as in, "upside-down soul" and "inverse fire." I've often tried to think of what the inverse of burning would be, but I still haven't come to any satisfactory answer. Along those lines, what would a soul that is reversed be? Perhaps, since I beleive it was said somewhere in the book that the soul is a hole from the outside to the world, perhaps "upside-down" means that somehow the soul of that person is a hole from the physical relm to the outside?

How does this relate to gods? Maybe not at all, I always felt like gods were some kind of "massed belief clouds" in the outside, in other words, amalgamations of similar belief souls. That's no doubt wrong, if we take for fact that the gods once lived. Or perhaps there could be a bridge between those two ideas, in that once the gods "ascended" or "transcended" they are sort of fueled by beliefs.

I don't know that any of that was lucid or comprencable though. Probably time to go back to lurking...

Hi .H., and welcome to the board!

Thanks, better 10 years late than never.

Eh, that's why I just lurk, ideas seem reasonable in my head, but written down it's plain how bad they are...

Archived