Favorite Targaryen monarch

C.T. Phipps

We have a much better look at the Targaryens now because of these books.

Who was your favorite?

Not just in terms of who is the best, that's Aegon V, but who is the most entertaining to read about?

For me, I just loved all the little details throughout.

Finding out Egg's son was such a conservative was fascinating, for instance.

So was The Cruel's reign being an exaggerated Henry VIII.

Aegon the Unworthy's reign somehow became EVEN WORSE.

Not just in terms of who is the best, that's Aegon V, but who is the most entertaining to read about?

Lol what :p You aren't serious are you? Aegon V certainly had the best intentions and he was a good king. But the best of them all? Please, Daeron the Good and Jaeherys the Concilliator would like to have a word with you.

Lol what :P You aren't serious are you? Aegon V certainly had the best intentions and he was a good king. But the best of them all? Please, Daeron the Good and Jaeherys the Concilliator would like to have a word with you.

Love is the death of duty but Aegon helped the Smallfolk, however, unpopular and managed to avoid any major civil wars.

That, for me, puts him pretty high up there.

We have a much better look at the Targaryens now because of these books.

Who was your favorite?

For me, I just loved all the little details throughout.

Finding out Egg's son was such a conservative was fascinating, for instance.

So was The Cruel's reign being an exaggerated Henry VIII.

Aegon the Unworthy's reign somehow became EVEN WORSE.

In my opinion, Aegon I, Jaehaerys I and Daeron II were "better" kings

In my opinion, Aegon I, Jaehaerys I and Daeron II were "better" kings

It depends on how you define "better" since Aegon conquered the Six Kingdoms but I'm not sure that's really a sign of a good king.

A good conqueror, yes, but these aren't necessarilly the same thing as Daeron proved.

Maegor the Cruel because of just how batshit crazy this guy was. He just cracks me up. It's interesting how he died , " Early the next morning, he was found dead on the throne, his robes sodden with blood, his arms slashed open by the barbs of the Iron Throne."

I go with suicide by Iron Throne.

Such a Targaryen thing.

Maegor the Cruel because of just how batshit crazy this guy was. He just cracks me up. It's interesting how he died , " Early the next morning, he was found dead on the throne, his robes sodden with blood, his arms slashed open by the barbs of the Iron Throne."

Hah, I agree. All the stories of his wives are also very interesting and how all of his kids were little demons.

They're a wonderful collection of characters.

I will say, though, I still can't get over Baelor the Blessed's messed up treatment of his sisters.

That's some Tywin Lannister misogyny there.

I used to love Aemon the Unworthy (see above) until I read how he treated his sister-wife.

Best character: Egg.

The best king: Aegon the Conqueror because he actually built something; the Seven Kingdoms themselves.

And then his successors did... pretty close to nothing. An integration of Dorne here, a non-paved(!) road crossing the realm there. Nothing an average roman emperor couldn't have done in 5 years and been deemed lazy for it by historians.

The Targaryens rule comes damn close to stagnation, if you ask me. With the occasional civil war thrown in for entertainment value. So I guess the best Targaryen kings after Aegon are those who did not let a civil war occur under their watch! :lol:

Aegon III. Poor guy :crying: i really love him :crying: :bawl: Hes a good king who actually care about smallfolk

Seconded. how can anyone not love his speech to the regents:

I mean to give the smallfolk peace and food and justice. If that will not suffice to win their love, let Mushroom make a progress. Or perhaps we might send a dancing bear. Someone once told me that the commons love nothing half so much as dancing bears. You may call a halt to this feast tonight as well. Send the lords home to their own keeps and give the food to the hungry. Full bellies and dancing bears shall be my policy.

Archived