Favorite Targaryen monarch

C.T. Phipps

There is no real reason to believe that Baelor was poisoned. That's just a rumor. He may really have starved himself to death.

I should have posted that if he was poisoned I think Aegon IV would be the more likely suspect. But I think Baelor inadvertently starving himself to death and the "poisoning" being used merely to slander Viserys II years later is just as plausible.

Daemon, king of the step stones.

I have this picture of him and the stepstones being like this Mad Max zone of pirates and awesomeness.

There are more evil, more despicable, and more crazy characters in Westeros.

But Daemon is the guy I say is the biggest ***** in the Seven Kingdoms.

Just, he made a career of being a jackass to his family and the world as a whole.

There are more evil, more despicable, and more crazy characters in Westeros.

But Daemon is the guy I say is the biggest ***** in the Seven Kingdoms.

Just, he made a career of being a jackass to his family and the world as a whole.

He wasn't a "jackass" to his family. He spoke out of turn with the cruel "heir for a day" jibe, but other than that the main headache he caused his brother was wanting his marriage to a Royce put aside. (He wanted to be named heir, but given that Viserys was named heir ahead of their female cousins then that's understandable.)

He was cold and distant to Alicient's sons, but he hardly considered them family, and there was already animosity between Daemon and the Hightowers. Prior to The Dance he seems to have done them no harm.

On the other hand, he didn't hesitate to avenge his nephew/great-nephew/stepson's murder, and there's no hint that he ever bore any ill will to Rhaenyra's eldest three sons in general. There's no real suggestion that he was a poor father or husband.

There's plenty of rumours that attach him to just about everyone's murder or tragic death prior to war, but I take them with a pinch of salt.

The one vile act was Blood & Cheese. But they were at war and to quote the man, "an eye for an eye, a son for a son - Lucerys shall be avenged".

It makes little sense to assume that Viserys II poisoned Baelor and then was stupid/careless enough to allow Aegon to poison him, too. I also doubt that Aegon had the connections at court to pull a poisoning of Baelor off shortly after his extended stay in Braavos.

It does not seem to be in Viserys' character to kill any of his kin/nephews, nor do I think Viserys would necessarily have been opposed to Baelor's idea. Pretty much everyone should approve of getting rid of the Ironborn faith, and White Harbor could have been used as the staging ground for the submission of the North should the Northmen refuse to convert.

Viserys did not oppose the equally mad Conquest of Dorne, why should he oppose this idea? Especially since those conversion ideas are rumors, too. They do not sound like stuff peaceful Baelor would have done. Perhaps he really believed he should convert everyone in his Realm, but would he have tried to this by force? I'm not sure. Not to mention that the setting of Baelor's death - days after fasting in isolation - does not give the impression that it was easy to poison him. I'm pretty sure Baelor was surrounded by servants who idolized and revered him, and would thus not have been complicit in such an attempt on his life...

My personal guess for the poisoning of Viserys is that Aegon feared (or had reason to fear) that his father would pass him over in favor of Daeron II should he rule for a longer period of time. Viserys must have known what kind of man his son was by that time, and Daeron became 18 in 171 AC. It would have been more than evident that Daeron II was not his father's son but of a completely different mind set (i.e. possibly much closer to his grandfather than Aegon himself).

Man, I love them all. Maegor was interestingly crazy, Jaeherys was probably the "best" in terms of what he did for the realm followed by Daeron II. Daeron I was brave and did good in his short life. Aegon IV was entertaining in a crazy way. Aegon II obviously because he was in the Dance of Dragons. Viserys I was kind of stupid but fairly kind. I felt really bad for Aegon III. Baelor was batshit crazy but his story with Aemon was pretty epic. Viserys II was a really capable leader. Aerys I interests me because of his involvement with Bloodraven. Overall though, I think the best for the realm was definitely Jaehaerys I.

Aegon V.

Yes, he wasn't the most effective, but he really tried to implement reforms and had clear ideas on how to make Westeros a better kingdom.

He could have given up his reforms, befriended his lords, and had a long peaceful reign (until WotNPK). No need for Dragons, no Sumerhall, no rebellions. He chose to fight for something he believed in instead. Changing things is never easy :(

And he didn't exacly allow his sons to marry for love... he obviously tried to enforce his will. But what was he going to do about Jenny of Oldstones? Kill her? He's not Tywin (I know he didn't kill Tysha, but you get the idea). Send her away? His son would probably go with her.. or at the very least refuse to marry anyone else.

That guy deserves some love.

Jaehaerys I is great, Daeron II is awesome... Am I the only one who sees some parallels between him and Rhaegar? Promiscuous (though not mad) father who threatens to disinherit him, Dornish marriage, mistreated mother, sister called Daenerys.

• 3 weeks later...

jaehaerys I and aegon I must have been the greatest kings, and the worst are Aegon IV and Aegon Aerys II.

Maegor was a crazy psycho, but at least did he ended the construction of the red keep, without having to spill it's secrets ( 'm not saying he's anything close to one of the goodies but i'm just saying that a huge castle with a lot of secret passages could come handy :) )

Daeron 1. "the young dragon"

undoubtedly the best General to sit the iron throne.

and manged to achieve what not even aegon with three dragon's could do.

and was well loved by the small folk. (The Weeping Town)

and had steel ball's. “ You have a dragon. He Stands before you.

if he had been more politically savvy at the game of thrones he could have consulted his conquest.

Daeron II "the good": he managed to unite the 7 Kingdoms where both Daeron I & Aegon I failed(and without any war), he got 4 sons and a healthy familiar relationship, saving the Targaryen dynasty. He ended the misrule of his father and some of his other predecessors (most notably Baelor the befuddled). The only stain in his coat is the first Blackfyre rebellion.

Aegon III: I want to know more of him, especially about the regency and the death of dragons.

Aegon V: I like him, but I want to have more of D & E before making a final statement about him.

I don't think the Blackfyre Rebellion is even a stain on Daeron II's record, as there was little he could have done to appease Daemon - especially if Aegor Bittersteel had a dislike of Daeron II and Bloodraven. It seems that he honoured his father's wishes in regards to the bastards and great bastards, and we know he gave Daeron land. I think Brynden's seemingly unwavering loyalty to Daeron and his progeny speaks a lot about what kind of ruler/brother he was in general.

I don't think the Blackfyre Rebellion is even a stain on Daeron II's record, as there was little he could have done to appease Daemon - especially if Aegor Bittersteel had a dislike of Daeron II and Bloodraven. It seems that he honoured his father's wishes in regards to the bastards and great bastards, and we know he gave Daeron land. I think Brynden's seemingly unwavering loyalty to Daeron and his progeny speaks a lot about what kind of ruler/brother he was in general.

I largely agree, otherwise he wouldn't be my favorite Targaryen king :) . What I meant he could have done better in the Blackfyre cause was removing/or not appointing Butterwell as Hand (Butterwell was one of aegon the unworthys cronies after all and did nothing to stop the beginning of the Rebellion, much like Orton Merryweather did during RR). Daeron II should have removed him earlier and made Baelor/Brynden or some other guy Hand. I agree he couldn't change Aegor Bittersteel's nature or pull a Tywin and kill all the bastards.

Archived