Great Powers of the known world

Maester Mando

Based on the information given in TWOIAF what do you think are the most powerful states/nations/peoples/etc.? (at the end of ADWD)

I would say:

The Seven Kingdoms (only combined a real great power, maybe the reach alone could be a minor power seen "globally")

Braavos

Volantis

Qarth

Yi Ti

Maybe:

Asshai

Im not counting the dothraki since theyre not a single political unity but divided into khalasars.

Same with the jogos nhai

What do you think?

Who are the known worlds "big players"?

Based on the information given in TWOIAF what do you think are the most powerful states/nations/peoples/etc.? (at the end of ADWD)

I would say:

The Seven Kingdoms (only combined a real great power, maybe the reach alone could be a minor power seen "globally")

Braavos

Volantis

Qarth

Yi Ti

Maybe:

Asshai

The five you had were literally the five I would say. But regarding the Seven Kingdoms induvidually, I think many of them would be great powers if by themselves (mainly the Reach, West, North and Vale). They aren't urbanized, but they bring in great wealth and 50k soldiers or more solely based on their population. Other powers, such as the Free Cities, have to hire sellswords when Westeros has the soldiers right at home.

Essos most certainly has the population and $$$ advantage. I think The Free Cities are the most powerful entity in the world, that is if they fight together and honor their mutual-protection treaties. The Iron Bank has a butt-load of cash but i dont know if i consider The Iron Bank and Braavos as one combined nation. The bank may not fight alongside Braavos' Government if it were attacked or something. They may just empty the vaults and move to a less hostile environment instead of risking whatever wealth that had stashed in the building.

Essos most certainly has the population and $$$ advantage. I think The Free Cities are the most powerful entity in the world, that is if they fight together and honor their mutual-protection treaties. The Iron Bank has a butt-load of cash but i dont know if i consider The Iron Bank and Braavos as one combined nation. The bank may not fight alongside Braavos' Government if it were attacked or something. They may just empty the vaults and move to a less hostile environment instead of risking whatever wealth that had stashed in the building.

All nine free cities combined would make them very powerful no doubt. I mean even the triarchy was kind of a threat to the seven kingdoms. But i think that as a unified politicial entity Yi Ti is now (300 AC) the most powerful. They have the most and most populous cities iirc. Or as the longstrider said: even their ruins put ours to shame.

Im really curious about the political power of asshai, but i think its more a "spiritual" and mercantile meeting point of the further east.

Braavos, the wealthiest and most powerful of the Free Cities with a large capable fleet and home to the IB.

Qarth, the trading port in parallel to Constantinople, the trading center between the east and west, and north and south. It has serious political clout thanks to its importance as a trading center, its wealth, the likely number of connections, and its powerful fleet.

Yi Ti is the historical parallel to China, the largest, most populous and most powerful state in the East with more wealth than the entire Valyrian empire at its apex. It can also likely muster the largest military in the world. Only it currently suffers from political division with the current dynasty possibly slated to fall.

All nine free cities combined would make them very powerful no doubt. I mean even the triarchy was kind of a threat to the seven kingdoms. But i think that as a unified politicial entity Yi Ti is now (300 AC) the most powerful. They have the most and most populous cities iirc. Or as the longstrider said: even their ruins put ours to shame.
Im really curious about the political power of asshai, but i think its more a "spiritual" and mercantile meeting point of the further east.

From what we know despite being a very large city it has the population of "a good-sized market town." It doesn't have much influence wrt military power given it wouldn't be able to muster a considerable army with such a small population, and can't make threats with military power so that would significantly diminish their political power. At the same time, no invading army would want to conquer Asshai given they would have nothing to forage off of with no farms or woods nearby, and a naval blockade would be enough to ensure the invaders die of starvation given it would be blocking off their only source of food. There is also the issue that the numerous sorcerers throughout Asshai can cause trouble, especially shadowbinders as we saw with Melisandre's shadowbabies.

I think its power comes from trade and sorcery.

I would say:

Braavos

Volantis

Qarth

Yi Ti

Maybe:

Asshai

Im not counting the dothraki since theyre not a single political unity but divided into khalasars.

Same with the jogos nhai

What do you think?

Who are the known worlds "big players"?

I think the Jogos Nhai could be a wild card type group though. They don't war on one another and seem much more willing to come together under a Jhattar if needs must. So if a terrible enough situation presented itself they would be a formidable group in the right circumstances.

I think the Jogos Nhai could be a wild card type group though. They don't war on one another and seem much more willing to come together under a Jhattar if needs must. So if a terrible enough situation presented itself they would be a formidable group in the right circumstances.

Like the dothraki.

I haven't read TWoIaF yet, but isn't there a mention that the Jogos Nhai don't fight one another often? Preferring to raid the people around them. The Dothraki on the other hand fight among one another quite a bit. So it's not really the same situation.

Yes, that was what I meant in my initial post. I see them a potentially more powerful as a unit than the Dothraki because they seem more willing to come together when needed and work together as a cohesive unit and don't fight each other as its against their core beliefs.

They worst things that seem to happen between themi s that the boys steal animals and the girls steal husbands. Which when compared to the Dothraki probably means when they come together they have far less trouble between them an fin it easier to nominate a Jhattar and work together against the enemy.

• 4 weeks later...

Yi Ti is not precisely unified, with the Emperor's power extending as far as his capital's walls

It says that this is true for the emperor of Yin. But do the other two have any extensive power? If not, who rules over all of central Yi Ti? Or the half dozen other cities on the map. The empire dispute could make them a lot weaker in the modern day than we would expect.

It says that this is true for the emperor of Yin. But do the other two have any extensive power? If not, who rules over all of central Yi Ti? Or the half dozen other cities on the map. The empire dispute could make them a lot weaker in the modern day than we would expect.

The seven kingdoms are also divided and dont really form a unified country at the end of adwd.

The seven kingdoms are also divided and dont really form a unified country at the end of adwd.

This.

It seems that, for now, the current azure emperor holds Yi Ti. The yellow emperor in Carcosa seems a little too far away right now to press his claim and the orange emperor in Trader's Town probably has only started his campaign.

Yi Ti has loads of regional princes, warlords, Imperial tax collectors and Imperial Generals who all hold influence and power out in the provinces. The Azure Emperor is only strong if these people care to obey him. Likewise the Yellow and Orange emperors would need to win these people over to succeed.

Archived