Small Questions v.10093

Jon Weirgaryen

Yeah, we could. But that will probably take at least another few stories... Erik was born in either 211 AC or 212 AC... And TMK ended in 211 AC... :)

We had to go all the way to Dosk to find some wine, Dunk told him. The krakens raided Little Dosk. They carried off the wealth and women and burned half of what they did not take.

That Dagon Greyjoy wants for hanging, Bennis said.

and Dagon Greyjoys krakens prowl the sunset sea like wolves, raiding as far south as the Arbor. They carried off half the wealth of Fair Isle, its said, and a hundred women, too. Lord Farman is repairing his defenses,

The Sworn Sword

Erik had been a great man in his day, a fearless reaver who could boast of having sailed with her grand-sire's grandsire, that same Dagon Greyjoy whom Dagon the Drunkard had been named for. Old women on Fair Isle still frightened their grandchildren with tales of Lord Dagon and his men.

The Wayward Bride, Dance

Do we know when Dagon's raiding finally ended?

From the World Book we do have a list of (implied, though not explicitly stated as such) Lords of the Iron Islands. Assuming they are in order, we have Alton, Torwyn and Loron between Dagon and Quellon. Torwyn is the one who betrayed Bittersteel, which was likely no earlier than the Third Blackfyre Rebellion, which was in 219AC, and couldn't have been after 241AC, when Bittersteel died. All that said, we can not necessarily assume that the list of Lords of the Iron Islands is in order. However, I would think the most likely time for Torwyn to betray Bittersteel would be the Third Blackfyre Rebellion, since Bittersteel was captured, meaning that Dagon was out of the picture by 219AC. That also provides some motive for Torwyn to side with the Blackfyres, especially if as Victarion indicated Dagon was put down finally by the Targaryens. Besides I think the fact that the world book mentions Dagon reaving during the reign of Aerys I (rather than during the reigns of Aerys and Maekar) is further indication that he was out of the picture before Maekar took the throne in 221AC.

So I'd suppose that it's likely that Erik Ironmaker is either completely full of shit or that he sailed with Dagon as a boy (which does not seem to be out of the question).

Well, we don't know if the list in in chronological order.. so we can't really say anything about it

Well, no, we don't. That said I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that Torwyn's betrayal was during the Third Blackfyre Rebellion. That plus that we're told Dagon was active during Aerys I's reign (rather than Aerys and Maekar's reign) seems consistent timeline wise. There definitely nothing certain, but I am inclined to think that Dagon was taken care of before the Third Blackfyre Rebellion (and such an assumption also does not necessitate that the list of Lords is in chronological order)

Okay, a bit tricky question: is there a way of legally reading book chapters online? Link to some website?

I'm planning on participating in re-read project, but my 5 books are either lent to other people, or in another city. Point is, I don't have them nearby, so I'd like to know if there's any way I can read chapters from them.

@Ramsay's Penguins

The Selyse thing, IIRC, is a show only thing.

The book left by Aemon was probably about Lightbringer.

Aww bummer... Yeah ok thank you. Not that a Florent marriage is a bad one, but that could be another reason. I figure if their are loyalist stormlanders, there can be rebel reachmen.

Thanks about the Lightbringer thing and thanks Lost Melnibonean!

Okay, a bit tricky question: is there a way of legally reading book chapters online? Link to some website?

Only truly legal way is if you bought the e-book versions, and access those copies from some online location.

Law is different in different countries, where I live, it is legal to make a copy from (but not distribute) copyrighted work if it brings absolutely no commercial gain. (In fact, you are not allowed to make a copy from a whole (paper) book -- only by handwriting or typing -- but that does not apply to e-books)

I'm planning on participating in re-read project, but my 5 books are either lent to other people, or in another city. Point is, I don't have them nearby, so I'd like to know if there's any way I can read chapters from them.

I remember seeing some of the books on google books. - that may be what you want.

If you look close enough, you will find pirated stuff in Russian or Chinese web pages. - and that may not be what you want.

I find both when searching for a whole distinguished paragraph from any of the books.

As I have bought all of them both as books and additionaly as ebooks my conscience is not too troubled about looking for text on the web :-)

Highlighted text, italics, bolded passages, small caps etc usually get lost in all of the ebook or online versions, including kindle, and that is a pity.

I remember seeing a thread called something like interesting quotes on the 're read but I can't find it again. Am I imagining it or could someone point me to it? Also sped anyone else have problems searching using their phone or the tapatalk app. It doesn't seem to work on my phone

Is this what you're thinking of?

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?/topic/83334-A-Quiver-of-Quotes

Aerion's sigil, whether personal or otherwise, appears to be a three headed dragon. The body is red, one head is a matching red, another is orange, and the last is gold. What were the symbolisms of these colors? Were these just colors of basic flame, or did they mean something? Could they be symbolism or hints at who could be today's candidates for "heads of the dragon?"

For reference:

http://awoiaf.wester...ryen_Aerion.png

Aerion's sigil, whether personal or otherwise, appears to be a three headed dragon. The body is red, one head is a matching red, another is orange, and the last is gold. What were the symbolisms of these colors? Were these just colors of basic flame, or did they mean something? Could they be symbolism or hints at who could be today's candidates for "heads of the dragon?"

For reference:

http://awoiaf.wester...ryen_Aerion.png

I think those are just volors associated with fire. You see it slot with the Lord of Light stuff too. And Rhaegar wore those colors streaming from his helm.

Archived