Small Questions v.10093

Jon Weirgaryen

Alebelly led two new guests into the feast. "The Lady Meera of House Reed," the rotund guardsman bellowed over the clamor. "With her brother, Jojen, of Greywater Watch."

Since there are no specific information how the crannogman organize their inheritance, at least none I know of: Does anyone know if it is usual or at least not that much out of the ordinary that two children of a lord are announced that way if the brother is not of age yet and the sister is (at what age is someone of age anyway?)? Jojen is 13 at the time and Meera is 15. The scene just has me wonder if there are some unusual arrangements there or if that is completely normal.

I am ignorant of the why, though not without ideas:

• In case they were not to be introduced as heir or heiress, it might have been prudent to name the lady first. In our world, it might even be prudent if Jojen was the heir.

Meera might indeed be heir to Greywater Watch, it is in the North after all. Even if she would normally pass inheritance to a male sibling (which I doubt), Jojen having dreamt his own untimely death would have rectified that.

And I had some more ideas, but look over there, that squirrel!

Another reason might be, that Alebelly is just some guard. A professional herald probably would have announced them differently. Also, "lady" is used quiet commonly for girls and women of high birth simply to be polite, wheras "lord" is usually much more connected with the actual position/job. Jojen is probably heir, but he isn't lord nor is he a knight, so I guess there is simply no common title for him.

Something I don't understand about the FM.I haven't read all the books (only from ACoK onwards), so maybe I let something slip.

Arya is taught that she shall not kill for justice nor for vengeance She must instead give the gift to the ones the Faceless God lays his choice upon.

However, I read something about the FM being hired to kill. How doe that appease the Faceless God? Doesn't that go against their "thing"?

:confused:

Something I don't understand about the FM.I haven't read all the books (only from ACoK onwards), so maybe I let something slip.

Arya is taught that she shall not kill for justice nor for vengeance She must instead give the gift to the ones the Faceless God lays his choice upon.

However, I read something about the FM being hired to kill. How doe that appease the Faceless God? Doesn't that go against their "thing"?

There is "only" one book before ACoK (and that happens ot be the best one in all the series ;-) ).

But there is little knowledge of the FM therein. AGoT 33 Eddard VIII:

"On Braavos there is a society called the Faceless Men," Grand Maester Pycelle offered.

[...]

"Titles are cheap. The Faceless Men are expensive. [...] If we'd sent a Faceless Man after her, she'd be as good as buried."

The FM are power players and obviously hypocrites.

It would seem to me that the kindly man meant that the FM are not allowed to personally choose their victims... So Arya killing Dareon because she wanted to - not good. Someone asking for the gift for Dareon and Arya gets the assignement - that's fine..

I personally think that is also why the FM are not allowed to kill those they know personally.... Personal feelings might start to play a role and such, in those cases...

There is a balance there somewhere. You can reconcile those two ends somewhat if you believe you can't just pay some coin. Rather, you have to pray and sacrifice.

I think I've seen a thread on this here but for the life of me, I can't find it. Does anyone know what books are referenced to in the series? For example, Dany got 3 books and Tyrion borrowed a book from the Winterfell library. Any ideas?

Well there is http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Category:Books_and_Scrolls

I think it has to do with them being servile, with so much power and skill they are taught to keep emotions in check.

That's probably why their price is so high as well, in order to give those who hire them a moment to reconsider if it is actually worth it.

Sam says he finds 667 Lord commanders not the 999 or so that the Night's Watch says says there have been. Is that 667 still over the course 8,000 years or so since the Long Night or would it mean that the Long Night was not 8,000 years ago?

667 and 999 are numbers that laugh in our faces. .999 is actually 1 and .667 is 2/3. I'd be very careful to trust historical accuracy in the hundreds of years, lest in the thousands. The worldbook has maesters debate whether those numbers are correct or more likely off by a few thousand years.

How does Lady Stoneheart get her hands on Robb's crown, when Jaime specifically told the queen of whores that he wanted it from her before kicking her and Ryman out of camp?

Here are two possibilities: 1) Ryman takes it with him when he leaves as a petty response to Jaime's authority. 2) Tom O'Sevens takes it after Ryman leaves, but before Jaime can take possession, and somehow spirits it to Lady SH.

Archived