Small Questions v.10093

Jon Weirgaryen

I assumed that the intent was to have LSH and the Brotherhood take it as a trophy of the Frey hanging spree, but it seemed odd to include the bit where Jaime demands it back if that is the case. I even wondered if perhaps it was deliberate misdirection and that LSH is in fact in possession of the actual crown of the old kings (although that's stretching it).

I assumed that the intent was to have LSH and the Brotherhood take it as a trophy of the Frey hanging spree, but it seemed odd to include the bit where Jaime demands it back if that is the case. I even wondered if perhaps it was deliberate misdirection and that LSH is in fact in possession of the actual crown of the old kings (although that's stretching it).

If, and/or when, Jaime does end up running into more of the BwB and/or LSH, he will be able to recognize the crown, too. Though, I can't imagine to what end.

I need a reference for the wiki, where do we learn that dragon-fire comes in different colors? I seem to recall that even Balerion's flames were black.

Edit: ok I found the bit about Balerion's flames, does anyone remember any other dragons having strangely colored flames?

and Balerion... his fire was as black as his scales, his wings so vast that whole towns were swallowed up in their shadow when he passed overhead.

I need a reference for the wiki, where do we learn that dragon-fire comes in different colors? I seem to recall that even Balerion's flames were black.

Edit: ok I found the bit about Balerion's flames, does anyone remember any other dragons having strangely colored flames?

I found this regarding colour of flames:

Slimy with mud, twisting amongst the bones of countless sheep, Sunfyre writhed and coiled like a serpent, his tail lashing, sending blasts of golden flame at his attackers as he struggled to fly.

Once the Blue Queen vanished into a bank of cloud, only to reappear an instant later, diving on Seasmoke from behind to scorch her tail with a burst of cobalt flame.

Sunfyre answered with a furnace blast of golden flame so bright it lit the yard below like a second sun, a blast that took Moondancer full in the eyes.

I found this regarding colour of flames:

Thanks! and thanks for fixing that worldbook reference I messed up. :) Do you think the reference I put indicating Balerion's flames were black is enough or should we add the others?

Thanks! and thanks for fixing that worldbook reference I messed up. :) Do you think the reference I put indicating Balerion's flames were black is enough or should we add the others?

Haha, no probs.. Templates are just easier in use..

The current statement for that reference of Balerion's flames is used for the statement "Dragonflame can come in different colours".. but the reference used for that statement currently is only stating one colour.. So yeah, I think adding the others would be a good idea (the three I posted are all three from the princess and the queen, btw). So that would just be adding one other reference..

Edit: added the ref and made a new sub-section

Is it safe to assume the Night's Watch limits it's recruiting efforts to Westeros?

I think so. So far as we know, Essosi either don't know or don't care (probably both) about the threat of Others to respond to NW recruiters. And ruling city councils/kings/lords there don't send their criminals to NW either.

If there was some Essosi NW brother, we'd have heard of him by now, I believe. But each and every one of crows we met so far has Westerosi background.

Yeah, that fits with the idea of the watch forgetting their original goal of defending the realms of men from a global threat and instead defending the north from wildlings. I guess it probably wouldn't pay to send a ship to Pentos or Braavos to collect orphan boys with the promise of room + sword.

Edit: spinoff question: What do the ships of the Night's Wach generally do? Patrol the coasts? Trade on behalf of the watch?

I don't think that the NW is actively against Essosi members.. they were willing to take Jaqen, after all.

But the fact that it apparently did not occur to anyone that Dareon could also try and recruit whilst in Braavos (they were always supposed to be there, just not this long), would indeed suggest that active recruitment in Essos is not done.

RumHam, you'd think that if the Nights Watch did any trading that they'd already be trading Bravos wood for food, which they clearly are not. Davos also mentions that once when he was young his captain went up and traded with the wildlings, but that on the way back the Nights Watch got them, so they are definitely patrolling.

Can anyone with the ability to search online, or who has some time and their AGOT/Feast handy, search for mentions of a trail intersection on the way up to the Eyrie? I am basically wondering if the trail we learn of in the world book can get you around the gates of the moon and onto the trail up to the Eyrie.

Hmm, there is nothing I remember. A few people here are quite handy at searching the text (including myself) ... but I am at a loss as to what text strings to look for.

Archived