Small Questions v.10093

Jon Weirgaryen

That reminds me - doesn't it strike anyone as weird that the Lord Commander of the Night's Watch was on a casual ranging?

Obviously Bloodraven intended to get "lost" en route to becoming one with the weirwoods, but what on earth did he tell his men? "I'm just stepping out, I may be some time"????

We don't know anything about the ranging where Bloodraven got "lost", so I wouldn't call it a casual ranging just yet. Mormont died beyond the Wall. Did he die on a casual ranging? Of course not, but we know that because we've seen the story of Mormonts death through the eyes of someone who was there, the ranging through the eyes of three who were present. For Bloodravens last ranging, we don't have such inside info.

It could have been a ranging with some specific, important (in the eyes of the Watch) ranging... I think we know too little about it to say anything specific.

And it wouldn't be a strange thing if Bloodraven was capable of staging a ranging where he disappears in, say, a harsh snowstorm or something... The fact that everyone is convinced he disappeared, and not that he fled the Watch, would suggest at least that he did not go beyond the Wall alone.

We don't know anything about the ranging where Bloodraven got "lost", so I wouldn't call it a casual ranging just yet. Mormont died beyond the Wall. Did he die on a casual ranging? Of course not, but we know that because we've seen the story of Mormonts death through the eyes of someone who was there, the ranging through the eyes of three who were present. For Bloodravens last ranging, we don't have such inside info.

It could have been a ranging with some specific, important (in the eyes of the Watch) ranging... I think we know too little about it to say anything specific.

And it wouldn't be a strange thing if Bloodraven was capable of staging a ranging where he disappears in, say, a harsh snowstorm or something... The fact that everyone is convinced he disappeared, and not that he fled the Watch, would suggest at least that he did not go beyond the Wall alone.

We have to note that he was 77 years old. Of course it would be strange if such old ( by Westerosi standards ) and important ( LC ) person would go alone.

Makes you remember old men going hunting in winter, does it not?

Yes, but old men in the North go that during winters when there isn't enough food. LC of the Night's Watch isn't some random old man. He is a leader of military organization. Someone like Bloodraven would never do that.

I think that the fact that LC went on ranging beyond the wall is also very strange. LC personaly command ranging only in special cases ( like Jeor Mormont's expedition in Great Ranging) .

We have no idea the circumstances of the ranging BR went on. Considering he was 77 and LC, we can infer that the ranging was deemed important enough for him to go along.

Yes, but old men in the North go that during winters when there isn't enough food. LC of the Night's Watch isn't some random old man. He is a leader of military organization. Someone like Bloodraven would never do that.

Unless he wanted the readers to remember... ok, I give up ;)

Any idea how long a harvest takes?

In medieval Poland people were harvesting from late june to august. August is even named after harvesting tool in polish. I think that in Westeros harvest also took place in this period. Maybe it was later and shorter in the North and longer in Riverlands probably Reach had the longest harvest.

In medieval Poland people were harvesting from late june to august. August is even named after harvesting tool in polish. I think that in Westeros harvest also took place in this period. Maybe it was later and shorter in the North and longer in Riverlands probably Reach had the longest harvest.

So in a period of long summer/autumn they would just keep doing it every three months or so, right?

Archived