Small Questions v.10093

Jon Weirgaryen

Did Joffrey abuse Tommen?

“The world is full of horrors, Tommen. You can fight them, or laugh at them, or look without seeing... go away inside.”

Tommen considered that. “I... I used to go away inside sometimes,” he confessed, “when Joffy...”

“Joffrey.” Cersei stood over them, the wind whipping her skirts around her legs. “Your brother’s name was Joffrey. He would never have shamed me so.”

Yes.

Where is it first mentioned that Aerys and Joanna had something going on between them?

Barristan tells Daenerys in Dance. Detail is added in World.

Mind you, Tyrion=Targ theory is a lot older than Dance, but the definite link between Aerys and Joanna was not established before ADWD.

Mind you, Tyrion=Targ theory is a lot older than Dance, but the definite link between Aerys and Joanna was not established before ADWD.

The theory was based on textual allusions to Tyrion riding a dragon and the understanding that only a person with blood of the dragon could ride a dragon. Then we got Barristan telling Daenerys that Aerys coveted Joanna.

Am I right that ChristianToday.com was the same site that made up that "Martin watched the Star Wars trailer and decided to finish Winds" bullshit? Cause now this:

http://www.christiantoday.com/article/game.of.thrones.season.5.spoilers.season.premiere.delayed.due.to.problems/43228.htm

That page is rubbish.

From Game 05 :

"I am almost a man grown," Jon protested. "I will turn fifteen on my next name day, and Maester Luwin says bastard grow up faster than other children."

"That's true enough," Benjen said with a downward twist of his mouth. He took Jon's cup from the table, filled it fresh from a nearby pitcher, and drank down a long swallow.

Is there a reason Benjen reacts like this to Jon's comment on bastards, or is he just displeased that Jon wants to join the Night's Watch too soon ?

From Game 05 :

Is there a reason Benjen reacts like this to Jon's comment on bastards, or is he just displeased that Jon wants to join the Night's Watch too soon ?

Perhaps... But on the R+L=J thread, there are those who believe that Rhaegar had married Lyanna (thus entering a polygamous marriage), and if Benjen knew, it could be a reaction to Jon calling himself a bastard, as Jon would be trueborn, if Rhaegar and Lyanna had truly gotten married.

Perhaps... But on the R+L=J thread, there are those who believe that Rhaegar had married Lyanna (thus entering a polygamous marriage), and if Benjen knew, it could be a reaction to Jon calling himself a bastard, as Jon would be trueborn, if Rhaegar and Lyanna had truly gotten married.

That's interesting, I never thought of Benjen as someone who could know Jon's true parents ! Or maybe he has just doubts ?

That's interesting, I never thought of Benjen as someone who could know Jon's true parents ! Or maybe he has just doubts ?

It would depend on what Benjen knew before the Rebellion had started, and how deeply he was involved.. Benjen and Lyanna could easily have been close (the vision from the past Bran saw would at least suggest a good and trusting relationship between the two, though we know too little to know how much Lyanna would have trusted him).

The fact that Benjen joined the Night's Watch only months after Ned's return, so shortly after House Stark lost three of its members, leaving the House with only Ned and a small infant (and Jon), would suggest he felt he could not remain at Winterfell. Why? We don't know (yet), but Lyanna could have been a big factor.

Benjen would know both Lyanna and Ned, and thus, it would not be strange that he knew of something (though not everything before Rebellion's start) that went on between Lyanna and Rhaegar, nor would it be strange that he would easily reach the conclusion that Ned was not the man to father bastards, to sleep around whilst being married, or being betrothed.

There are quite a few possible scenario's for Benjens involvement, leading him to feel guilty about all that had happened before and during the Rebellion, which could lead him to join the NW, and there are some possibilities for Benjen having learned about Lyanna and Rhaegar too..

I'll try a short answer although I haven't got a convincing quote handy. I try this one:

Benjen gave Jon a careful, measuring look. "You don't miss much, do you, Jon? We could use a man like you on the Wall."

It is also Benjen who does not miss much. That may be a reason for him becoming 1st ranger, not just his heritage.

There is the thought he was close with Lyanna - we know from Bran's weirwood visions and the KotLT story: but ha cannot have been in close contact she was down under in Dorne and he in Winterfell. There's a crackpot that if R+L were to marry ice-and-fire style, why not in the North? Yay, a bit far-fetched. Back to basics then: if he is so sharp, he might know a lot.

Archived