Small Questions v.10093

Jon Weirgaryen

If I understood well, it is up to the Citadel to choose the Grand Maester.

If it is so, why do they keep Grand Maester Pycelle who is clearly loyal to the Lannisters and, also clearly, not concerned at all with the realm?

Any thoughts on this?

A few. 1) Who's to say what agenda the Archmaesters (those who choose the Grand Maester) have. 2) Who knows how unified the Archmaesters may be in their agendas. 3) We don't know what the exact procedure would be to unmake a Grand Maester. 4) Even with Pycelle's biases and problems, how noticeable would those be to an outsider (the Archmaesters do not spend time with Pycelle at King's Landing) and 5) do those biases obstruct Pycelle's duties as Grand Maester?

We simply don't know if Pycelle's negligance would be obvious to someone who is around him, how severe his negligance would need to be to merit dismissal, whether his clear irresponsibility actually conflicts with his duties as Grand Maester or whether there are those amongst the Archmaesters who would be perfectly content knowing all of Pycelle's deficiencies based on their own agendas.

Where exactly do we learn Hoster and LF's father had befriended one another during the War of the Ninepenny Kings? I seem to recall it was an SSM, but I can't find it..

This is the SSM link I found, fourth source on the Hoster article in the wiki, first paragraph.

A question I have is about this scene, which is a bit unclear for me (ACoK, Bran chapter 3):

Alebelly led two new guests into the feast. "The Lady Meera of House Reed," the rotund guardsman bellowed over the clamor. "With her brother, Jojen, of Greywater Watch."

Since there are no specific information how the crannogman organize their inheritance, at least none I know of: Does anyone know if it is usual or at least not that much out of the ordinary that two children of a lord are announced that way if the brother is not of age yet and the sister is (at what age is someone of age anyway?)? Jojen is 13 at the time and Meera is 15. The scene just has me wonder if there are some unusual arrangements there or if that is completely normal.

Alebelly led two new guests into the feast. "The Lady Meera of House Reed," the rotund guardsman bellowed over the clamor. "With her brother, Jojen, of Greywater Watch."

Since there are no specific information how the crannogman organize their inheritance, at least none I know of: Does anyone know if it is usual or at least not that much out of the ordinary that two children of a lord are announced that way if the brother is not of age yet and the sister is (at what age is someone of age anyway?)? Jojen is 13 at the time and Meera is 15. The scene just has me wonder if there are some unusual arrangements there or if that is completely normal.

I am ignorant of the why, though not without ideas:

• In case they were not to be introduced as heir or heiress, it might have been prudent to name the lady first. In our world, it might even be prudent if Jojen was the heir.

Meera might indeed be heir to Greywater Watch, it is in the North after all. Even if she would normally pass inheritance to a male sibling (which I doubt), Jojen having dreamt his own untimely death would have rectified that.

And I had some more ideas, but look over there, that squirrel!

This is the SSM link I found, fourth source on the Hoster article in the wiki, first paragraph.

A question I have is about this scene, which is a bit unclear for me (ACoK, Bran chapter 3):

Thanks!

I think they were just announced from eldest to youngest.. If there is a special inheritance rule for the crannogmen, we haven't heard of it.

Did Daeron I have a wife? if so was she a sister or from another house?

He was unmarried at the time of his death, and hadn't married before.

During the four years of his reign, he had been negotiating the marriage to the sister of the Sealord of Braavos, to seal an alliance, after Dorne had been newly conquered. Nothing came of this marriage, as Daeron needed his attention to the rebelling Dorne.

Thanks!

I think they were just announced from eldest to youngest.. If there is a special inheritance rule for the crannogmen, we haven't heard of it.

I don't think there is any special inheritance rules for crannogmen. Rather Jojen's greendream about his death should be taken into account. Perhaps Meera has been named heir because of that greendream.

If I understood well, it is up to the Citadel to choose the Grand Maester.

If it is so, why do they keep Grand Maester Pycelle who is clearly loyal to the Lannisters and, also clearly, not concerned at all with the realm?

Any thoughts on this?

Technically only the Citadel has the power to name or un-name a Grand Maester. But it's clear in the books they're bending to the will of the throne:

“Thankfully, wiser heads prevailed, and the Conclave accepted the fact of Pycelle’s dismissal and set about choosing his successor. After giving due consideration to Maester Turquin the cordwainer’s son and Maester Erreck the hedge knight’s bastard, and thereby demonstrating to their own satisfaction that ability counts for more than birth in their order, the Conclave was on the verge of sending us Maester Gormon, a Tyrell of Highgarden. When I told your lord father, he acted at once.”

The Conclave met in Oldtown behind closed doors, Tyrion knew; its deliberations were supposedly a secret. So Varys has little birds in the Citadel too. “I see. So my father decided to nip the rose before it bloomed.” He had to chuckle. “Pycelle is a toad. But better a Lannister toad than a Tyrell toad, no?”

“Grand Maester Pycelle has always been a good friend to your House,” Varys said sweetly.

So Tywin restored him, and the Conclave felt they had no choice but to accept it.

I am ignorant of the why, though not without ideas:

• In case they were not to be introduced as heir or heiress, it might have been prudent to name the lady first. In our world, it might even be prudent if Jojen was the heir.

Meera might indeed be heir to Greywater Watch, it is in the North after all. Even if she would normally pass inheritance to a male sibling (which I doubt), Jojen having dreamt his own untimely death would have rectified that.

And I had some more ideas, but look over there, that squirrel

I was more wondering why she was called 'Lady Meera of House Reed' and that Jojen was just introduced as her brother than about the order. The North does not seem to have any different heritage laws, so male children come first, the female heirs we see are heirs because there are no male ones for one reason or another. She does not strike me as someone who would insist on it if laws or tradition dictate otherwise. And she would certainly not accept her brother's future death as a given.

The squirrel bit was mean, you cannot not look!

That is probably the most likely reason. Which does bring me to another question: Is there a fixed age in Westeros at which you start to count as an adult? Fifteen and thirteen are not that far apart.

That is probably the most likely reason. Which does bring me to another question: Is there a fixed age in Westeros at which you start to count as an adult? Fifteen and thirteen are not that far apart.

IIRC, it's sixteen. I can't look for quotes right now, but I remember Arianne telling Doran that she was adult for seven years already (in Arianne's last AFFC chapter after Doran said something along the line of her still being a child incapable of holding secrets). Arianne is 23 at the time.

Also without a quote, but I seem to remember one sentence which says Joffrey will rule on his own right (without a Regent) when he turns 16.

ETA: there's also this SSM.

At what age does a boy in Westeros legally become a man?

Interesting that Daeron managed to avoid a regency and that Viserys II apparently could have insisted on one.

The eldest of [Aegon III's] sons, Daeron, was a mere boy of fourteen years when he assumed the throne. Perhaps because of Daeron’s charm and genius, or perhaps because of his memory of what transpired during the regency of Daeron’s father, Prince Viserys chose not to insist on a regency while the young king was in his minority. Instead, Viserys continued to serve as Hand while King Daeron ruled ably and capably.

Archived