Cricket XXV - The long runup to the World Cup

Stubby

Couple of quick wickets and India are in trouble. This is where Ashwin's experience and batting ability might prove a better fit than Karn Sharma at 8.

Having Dhoni and Ashwin in there gives them a bit more hope than Saha and Sharma.

Yeah, I think Australia will fancy themselves to grab a first innings lead off this. The Indian bowling really needs to perform well in both innings if they are to have any chance of winning this match.

I think the top 3 will be disappointed with good starts and then cheap dismissals.

I read somewhere that a commentator said that both bowling and batting need to be disciplined on this wicket and it certainly seems to be the case.

:rofl:

This photo was taken from the back row of lower Edrich. The crease is in full view but when the ball flies in the air it's impossible to tell where it's gone and the boundaries are obscured. In contrast, this was in the upper Warner (directly opposite upper Edrich/Compton and therefore with a comparable view). Horses for courses.

Just caught some highlights. Another batting collapse by India after the top order laid a really good platform. That middle order needs to grow a backbone.

ETA. On SA v WI: van Zyl is looking good on debut. Started his innings a bit nervously but is batting really nicely now.

Both teams have been guilty of squandering good starts with their batsmen. India really should have gotten 500 and it was only a mini-rescue from Dhoni/Ashwin that got them past 400. And Australia really should have had someone go on to score a century today - now it's mainly up to Smith, who seems to be be our best batsman on current form along with Warner.

With Starc to come I reckon Australia are going to build a big first innings lead here. And to think, Smith still hasn't been dismissed in the series yet. In 8 Tests this year (2014) he has scored 4 centuries plus a score of 97 and his current Test average is now around 50 (albeit with a small sample space since he's only played 24 matches).

He really could turn into the leading batsman of his generation in the same vein as Steve Waugh, Ricky Ponting and Michael Clarke.

Archived