Cricket XXV - The long runup to the World Cup

Stubby

If they bat well in this session, they will be fine - only lose 1, maybe 2 wickets to wipe off the deficit and get even, then they're essentially batting first and can send Australia in on a fifth day pitch.

That being said, as Ian Chappell said in commentary, it could all go very bad for India very quickly in this session. They have little margin for error now but they may not have lost it yet.

Smith's form for this series is starting to be reminiscent of Cook's Ashes in 2010-11.

I know it's very early in the series to say that (and it's "only" a 4-match series anyway) but 347 in 3 innings begins to look ominous for the Indians. And one of those innings was cut short because they declared overnight...

The Telegraph running with the story that Cook is going to lose his captaincy of England's one day side. If that is true, I'm certainly surprised, didn't think they would sack him. On a different note, this timezones are such a pain, won't be able to catch India's batting yet again.

And it's confirmed - Cook is dropped as ODI captain. Morgan takes over.

Finally.

I think it's the right decision, although it's so late in the day that there's not much time to prepare. Admittedly, Morgan's batting form doesn't seem much better than Cook's at the moment but at least when he is in form his game does seem better suited to what England need and Cook was likely to give up on ODIs after the World Cup anyway while Morgan is a more long-term prospect.

Yeah, Watson has not delivered at No. 3 in recent times, but as with Marsh, there aren't a whole lot of domestic batsmen knocking the door down, at least for the Test team. Sadly Phil Hughes would have been the next in line to return to Australia's batting lineup.

A pity the four-match series is already now 2-0 when India have actually put in a pretty competitive effort in both games.

Hughes would've been almost certainly recalled. It's a pity guys like Doolan, Burns and Ferguson haven't progressed as much was hoped initially. Watson's test batting has essentially stalled, but his bowling has been a revelation. His bowling in Brisbane reminded me of Shaun Pollock. He seems to have greatly reduced the physical effort expended in each delivery without losing any effectiveness. I've always been one of the first to criticise Watson, but he probably does deserve a lower middle order batting spot if he can keep bowling like this. I'd push Marsh up to 3- I don't agree with his selection but he should at least get some opportunities to bat at his favoured position.

It was a disappointing effort from India in the first session. I think a lot of people, both Indian and Australian, were hoping for a couple of absorbing days of test cricket. In the end, a single terrible session put an end to India's hopes. Australia bowled reasonably well, but not unplayably well. If they'd managed another 75-100 runs, or at least to hold on to the Smith catch, it would've been another tight finish.

edit: Burns comes into the squad as standby for Warner (bruised thumb). Good move I think. Though having given Doolan only a couple of tests in South Africa, he might have deserved another opportunity.

Good, looks like the fines hit the whole team as well (30%) as Smith (60%). While fines aren't particularly effective, they at least are acknowledging it's a whole team problem.

The 12-month probationary ban thing sounds good.

Archived