Cricket XXV - The long runup to the World Cup

Stubby

Yeah, I don't have a problem with that. He was clearly in a bad position as a youngster and he made a bad decision. He's served a significant punishment so hopefully he can now come back to cricket successfully.

I think it's important that the punishment for fixing is serious and I think a 5 year ban is about the minimum punishment that would be acceptable. Since he's served that (mostly) I think it's reasonable for him to be allowed to make a comeback. He's still in his earlier twenties so I think it's definitely possible that he could fulfil his promise, although I'd expect it to take a while to get back to his old level.

Which fantasy cricket league did we use last time for the World Cup? There's the Cricinfo or ICC leagues we could use this time.

I think it was the Cricinfo one we used last time.

I don't envy the English and Indian teams playing at the WACA today.

It's tipped to get to 38C today, it's overcast and there is still a ridiculous level of humidity left over from yesterday's 'rattle-the-house' thunderstorms.

I expect to see lots of swing, though.

Mohammad Amir's ban has ended just over 7 months early.

I'm OK with that. He was young, it was stupid, but hopefully he can come back now. He's still young and with the promise he showed before, he could be great. But almost 4 and a half years out at such a formative time in your career could be irreparably damaging.

EB: Spelling mistake.

Yeah, I don't have a problem with that. He was clearly in a bad position as a youngster and he made a bad decision. He's served a significant punishment so hopefully he can now come back to cricket successfully.

Which fantasy cricket league did we use last time for the World Cup? There's the Cricinfo or ICC leagues we could use this time.

How does age factor into this as a mitigation against punishment for serious corruption? Is there some sort of age after 12 when you actually realise that right and wrong is actually a serious thing and not just something your parents bang on about? If you haven't developed enough of a moral compass to know that match fixing is a really bad thing by the time you're 12 then you probably never will, instead all your efforts will go into trying not to be caught rather than endeavouring to never be drawn into that dark business. With that other form of cheating (performance enhancing substances) at least there is a bit of grey and there are those who think performance enhancing substances should be allowed, because it can be argued that the playing field is still level. There is no argument to morally justify deliberately manipulating events to your teams detriment (even to the extent of bowling a no ball in the 5th over) for personal pecuniary gain.

Having said that 4-5 years seems like a reasonable first offense punishment regardless of the age and experience of the guilty party. 2-strikes though. Get caught a second time and it's a life ban for all forms of cricket except beach cricket with your friends and family.

How does age factor into this as a mitigation against punishment for serious corruption? Is there some sort of age after 12 when you actually realise that right and wrong is actually a serious thing and not just something your parents bang on about? If you haven't developed enough of a moral compass to know that match fixing is a really bad thing by the time you're 12 then you probably never will, instead all your efforts will go into trying not to be caught rather than endeavouring to never be drawn into that dark business. With that other form of cheating (performance enhancing substances) at least there is a bit of grey and there are those who think performance enhancing substances should be allowed, because it can be argued that the playing field is still level. There is no argument to morally justify deliberately manipulating events to your teams detriment (even to the extent of bowling a no ball in the 5th over) for personal pecuniary gain.

Pressure does funny things.

Without knowing what Amir was being told to encourage him to do it, I can make several guesses as to what that was. At such a young age, he would have been growing up and learning his cricket with many of his now team-mates taking on the "cricketing hero" mantle. Having your hero tell you that you need to do this is a hard thing to ignore when you're new to the team.

It was also his captain telling him to do it. His captain could have been coercing him by suggesting he won't get picked if he doesn't do it, he'll only get to bowl in situations that make him look bad (old ball, end that doesn't suit him, wrong conditions) or anything.

Who really knows what was said?

I think, though, you're placing a lot of faith in the moral compass of 18 year olds everywhere to say that they should all be able to make the right choice when faced with "right" and "wrong". No choice between the two is ever as clear cut as that, especially not in the situation Amir was in.

I empathised with him at the time of the punishment. Not so much that he shouldn't have been punished, but in that I think he had been placed in a near untenable situation and paid the heavy price. I'm not going to speculate on a possible second infraction.

Do hope he can come back from it; he was a genuine talent before the ban.

Re: leagues.

Cricinfo looks to have the most functionality, including mobile functionality. That's a bonus. Limit of 7 players from 1 country.

Minus -- fewer subs per phase, and it looks like fewer opportunities to play tournament vs. match mode (need to research the latter more). Also, it specifies you must have one pure-wicketkeeper (not sure it's a minus, but it is a restriction)

ICC has more subs per phase and lets you choose a WK who has other roles. Limit 6 players per country.

Minus -- no mobile version AFAICT

FURSUIT MANIA RIDES AGAIN

Because I had a login for cricinfo already, I signed in and made a team. It's a nice interface.

As I have in helmetball fantasy leagues, I am personally playing by Golf Rules. That is, I have to field a team of starters who score the fewest points possible. I'll be looking for batsmen who are prone to going out for ducks, bowlers who keep getting selected despite having terrible economy rates, wicketkeepers and fielders who cannot catch a ball to save their lives.

I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts on players I should be selecting with those criteria. As long as the player has a high chance of being selected despite being shite (or just impatient), they're fair game for FURSUIT MANIA

ETA: just tried out the mobile version of cricinfo. at first it's a bit clunky (you have to sign in again, even if you have already signed into the app, which is a PITA), but the mobile version is decently intuitive. Dropped and added players, moved through the submenu/nav bar.

FURSUIT MANIA RIDES AGAIN

Because I had a login for cricinfo already, I signed in and made a team. It's a nice interface.

As I have in helmetball fantasy leagues, I am personally playing by Golf Rules. That is, I have to field a team of starters who score the fewest points possible. I'll be looking for batsmen who are prone to going out for ducks, bowlers who keep getting selected despite having terrible economy rates, wicketkeepers and fielders who cannot catch a ball to save their lives.

I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts on players I should be selecting with those criteria. As long as the player has a high chance of being selected despite being shite (or just impatient), they're fair game for FURSUIT MANIA

I think bowlers from the Asian teams might tend to struggle on Australian/Kiwi pitches since the conditions are so different to what they're used to - perhaps with the exception of Pakistan who tend to produce plenty of fast bowlers. There's probably a few good contenders there. I think if you're looking for a team to struggle then the United Arab Emirates would be a good choice, due to unfamiliar conditions and players who have neither experience or youth - their captain Mohammed Tauqir is 43 years old and has played 5 ODIs.

Other likely starters who seem to be in poor form recently would be Shikhar Dhawan for India, Ravi Bopara for England, Lahiru Thirimanne for Sri Lanka or Dwayne Smith for West Indies.

Here are the rules/scoring for cricinfo:

http://games.espncricinfo.com/Fantasy/HowToPlay

And here's how to play ICC

https://fantasy.icc-cricket.com/faq

The biggest difference seems to be number of subs and number of stages and scoring.

cricinfo -- 80 transfers in Phase 1; 20 in Phase 2.

Phase 1 = Group play. Phase 2 = Knockouts up to Final

ICC -- 42 transfers in Phase 1 & 2; 18 transfers in Phase 3; 10 transfers in Phase 4

Phase 1 & 2 = Group play. Phase 3 = knockout phase thru quaterfinals. Phase 3 = semis thru final.

With scoring, Cricino is way more sophisticated, and I like it better. Your players are rewarded for playing well, and penalized if they don't. ICC only rewards players, with no consequences for being crap.

IMHO, Cricinfo is the better of the two options, but I'm not attached to it enough to fight about it. :)

That's a bit of an irritating performance by England but, still, at least there are some positives for them to take from the Tri Series. India should be pretty worried, they look fairly dire in all facets of the game at the moment, given they've spent all this time in Australian conditions they should be better placed. Australia are looking very well set.

We might as well go with the Cricinfo fantasy league then for the World Cup. It does look a bit better.

Think Sri Lanka will go well despite having such an awful squad, Jayawardena, Sangakkara, Dilshan and Malinga's last hoorah really.

Incidentally, Sanga (a wicket keeper) is a couple runs short of over-taking Ponting as the second highest ODI run scorer ever...

Genuinely think if he carries on playing tests he'll go down as the greatest batsman of the modern era.

If everyone else is OK with this, I'll set up the league at cricinfo and post the link here.

I'll be inviting my Aussie friend in NYC to join as well.

Stubby's Axemen agree with this post.

Archived