Cricket XXV - The long runup to the World Cup

Stubby

Heh, Ben Stokes gets 151 off 86 balls and takes 3 wickets for the England Lions against South Africa A on the back of performing well in the Big Bash. He really should be in the England World Cup squad.

ETA: If you're looking for batsmen in a poor run of form Xray Dhawan had an absolute mare in the Tri Series and looking to be massively struggling with Australian conditions. Of course he is actually quite talented so he might come good. :dunno:

Just joined the fantasy league. For patriotic reasons I feel oddly compelled to pick a couple of Scottish players which may be a tactical error, although they do have an advantage that they're cheap and free up money for players with better pedigrees (that said, I will note that Calum Macleod's highest ODI score is bigger than any English player has managed in this history of ODI cricket).

ETA: If you're looking for batsmen in a poor run of form Xray Dhawan had an absolute mare in the Tri Series and looking to be massively struggling with Australian conditions. Of course he is actually quite talented so he might come good. :dunno:

I suppose for X-Ray's purposes someone like Dhawan could be a dangerous pick, even if he's in poor form he could really take apart some of the weaker attacks and get a huge number of points.

Just pick 6 England players. Any six.

I think it would be possible to pick a team entirely from the British Isles which might get a really low score.

I suppose for X-Ray's purposes someone like Dhawan could be a dangerous pick, even if he's in poor form he could really take apart some of the weaker attacks and get a huge number of points.

True. But if you're going for a low score picking loads of associate nations lower order batsmen and Ravi Bopara and having them conform to expectations and get low scores seems a bit conservative. You might as well go for glory and pick some players who could be good but you're backing to fail spectacularly.

So, who do you guys think will win?

I hope it's Sri Lanka, but I'm guessing it's gonna be either SA or Australia (looking at current form) (and other stuff).

Considering what NZ just did to Sri Lanka I think it will be an up hill battle for them.

I must be especially dense. I can't see how to get into the SoLBW league.

You just type the league name and password into the join a league bit of the leagues section.

I think Australia are strong favourites with South Africa up there, New Zealand are looking pretty solid. Other than that I don't really see any of the other sides winning it. India look a shambles, as do the Windies unfortunately and I can't really see Sri Lanka or Pakistan pulling it off. England look better than I thought they were going to but I still don't think they really have enough in the batting especially.

^^ Thanks for answering those questions. Since I created the league, I am not sure how to go about actually joining it.

Re: Dhawan

I like both possibilities, to be honest. Although, yeah, I suppose that part of the fun is the gamble on someone finding form out of thin air.

TWS -- :p

Once Mr. X and I had settled on that league name, the password choice was obvious.

So far in the league we have:

Xray

williamjm

Neal

Celadyr

Eloisa

DJDonegal

ljkeane

Looks like there's no chat functionality there, so we'll have to lament and being woeful over here.

So, who do you guys think will win?

I hope it's Sri Lanka, but I'm guessing it's gonna be either SA or Australia (looking at current form) (and other stuff).

I consider Australia to be the favourites followed by NZ. Judging by what NZ have done against SL and Pak, they are looking really good and full of confidence. Their bowling unit looks solid and there are a few in their top and middle order who are in great form. NZ will be extemely tough to beat on home soil.

I'm not so sure about SA. While recent results have been good and the top order looks formidable, SA are infamous for bottling it at major tournaments. I'm also iffy about our 'death' bowling. The bowling unit has been taken to the cleaners on numerous occasions over the past few years in the last 10-15 overs.

Archived