Cricket XXV - The long runup to the World Cup

Stubby

hmm, Ireland should have figured the winning pattern from the opening matches' - bat first, amass a massive total and then let their bowlers stifle the chase. Fursuit Mania have a horse in this race?

Zimbabwe were playing SA though a team that has the ability to snatch the game away from at at any given moment.. Whilst WI are 50/50 at any given time

Still sad to see the boys in green lose control over the innings hopefully they will come back with the back

hmm, Ireland should have figured the winning pattern from the opening matches' - bat first, amass a massive total and then let their bowlers stifle the chase. Fursuit Mania have a horse in this race?

Fursuit Mania does have an Irish lad in addition to a Windies diamond duck. If I'm lucky, I'll get two ducks from this match.

That was really impressive stuff from Ireland. Bowled well up front and their top order batted beautifully. Looked like this was going to be a repeat of the previous 4 matches once Simmons and Sammy got going. The Irish have a great opportunity to qualify for the QFs - they will fancy their chances against Zimbabwe and the unpredictable Pakistan. With the upcoming rule changes, there is a chance no associate member will feature at the next WC, so Ireland need to make their good start count.

With the upcoming rule changes, there is a chance no associate member will feature at the next WC, so Ireland need to make their good start count.

Which is something Ireland continuously show would be an absolutely ridiculous change to the rules.

That's Pakistan, England and West Indies all beaten in World Cups. I can't understand why there is no room for associate teams at a World Cup except to protect the establishment. It makes no sense if you're trying to expand the appeal of the game. What incentive is there?

Which is something Ireland continuously show would be an absolutely ridiculous change to the rules.

That's Pakistan, England and West Indies all beaten in World Cups. I can't understand why there is no room for associate teams at a World Cup except to protect the establishment. It makes no sense if you're trying to expand the appeal of the game. What incentive is there?

I think that the reasoning behind this is that it waters down the world cup. Not a particularly good reason but that's what they are going with, I believe. I agree that changing the rules make no sense. Instead the ICC should be allocating more resources to help promote and develop the game in the associate countries and ensuring that these teams play more against the full member teams in between world cups. Unfortunately this is the ICC we are talking about, where the "I" stands for ineffective.

The problem is that if the minnows do get beaten badly and with this current format (designed so that a top team don't crash out early, a la India in 2007), that will mean a lot of meaningless, predictable matches. Of course we saw that with WI vs Ireland and SA vs Zim to a lesser extent, that this doesn't happen.

I honestly think the decision to get rid of the associate nations from the World Cup next time round is the stupidest idea. Cricket has to grow, and the ICC should be promoting the game outside of the Test playing nations. The ICC and relevant cricket boards should schedule more games between countries such as Nepal, Ireland etc and the top countries. Look at Nepal and Afghanistan, ever since those two teams have come to the world T20 and World Cup, the interest in cricket has exploded.

A better idea is to change the format, have a shorter pool stage, so if the minnows do get beaten, they go home, if they upset a big team then they get a good chance to go progress further.

Archived